Your viewing journal

Thunderbolt Fantasy - Episodes 5 - 11

Absolutely loving Thunderbolt Fantasy

Super Beast Machine God Dancouga - Episodes 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)

Can't believe it's taken me this long to get to Dancouga, these first two episodes are great!

Samurai Flamenco ep 1 - 3
Shirobako ep 13 - 15
Rewrite ep 12
Food Wars Second Plate 12
Berserk ep 12
This Art Club Has a Problem ep 11
Hitorinoshita the Outcast ep 11
Alderamin on the Sky ep 11

Hidamari Sketch x SP-Episodes 1 and 2 (Complete)

Well, that was the last set of Hidamari Sketch I own. Kind of sad, really. I hope Sentai release the Blu Ray of Season 4, Honeycomb, sooner rather than later. Oh well, maybe now I'll finally get around to writing that review I've been threatening to write since Season 1...

Orange-Episode 12

Probably one of the best episodes in this series. I was really hoping we'd get to see the original timeline, maybe in an OVA or something, so to see it in the main series is great. Really helped solidify Kakeru's character to me. Interested to see just how it ends next week.

Shaman King-Episode 23

Re:Zero-Episode 25 (Complete)

You know, even though I could go for a second season, with that ending, I think that's a fine place to leave it.

Last edited:
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (Japanese audio) - Episode 25 (Complete)

Likewise, after much crashing as Crunvhy was taking a hammering.

I've quite a few thoughts on this which i will share later, but i'll just say for now that i loved this series... And the reddit salty tears that are flowing now

Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere: Episodes 1 - 3

Certainly a show that isn't going to pause to let the stragglers catch up with the goings on in the series. But the show does have some promising aspects that may have me hooked!

Last edited:
Re:Zero Episode 25.

Now that sure was the ending of an anime that doesn't know if it's getting a second season. A good place to end though. The decision to leave out the cliffhanger that immediately follows that last scene was the correct one.

The Garden of Sinners: Paradox Paradigm

Easily the best one yet (and overall, supposedly), though I did enjoy the previous ones.

Spice and Wolf S2-Episodes 0-4

Episodes 0-2: Seems the story this time is going to be more focussed on getting Holo back to her home. I think this is a brilliant idea, and I could create some brilliant character drama and emotion between Holo and Lawrence. The episode 0 OVA wasn't amazing, but it was quite fun, but the main show looks to be going in a promising direction.

Episodes 3 and 4: It genuinely upsets me to see Holo and Lawrence fight.

New Game!-Episode 12 (Complete)

Great last episode and certainly more emotional than I was expecting. It's been a really enjoyable show and I'll certainly miss it. A S2 certainly wouldn't go amiss!

Mob Psycho 100-Episode 11

Seeing Reagan fight the espers wasn't only funny but incredibly satisfying, for some reason. I know that when characters get killed/fatally wounded and come back it can be a little cheap, but I do hope Reagan has survived, he's probably my favourite character in the whole show.

Bananya-Episode 12

For those who don't know, it's the final Bananya last week. I'm actually crying.

Last edited:
Ojamajo Doremi - Episode 1 - 4 (out of 51) (First Impressions)
I’ve been meaning to watch Ojamajo Doremi for quite a few years now and after watching the first four episodes it’s not only abundantly clear just why this series is as beloved as it is but it’s equally clear that the wait was worth it. Ojamajo Doremi not only looks to be a phenomenal series but one that may become an all-time favorite of mine well before it's all said and done. From the charming art style that evokes the aesthetic of a child’s fairy tale book with its soft and painterly visage to the delightful character designs that accurately depict the looks and mannerisms of a carefree child to the adorable voice acting that bowls over the audience with ample amounts of cuteness. It’s a delightful series that had me genuinely laughing at all of the predicaments the writers had managed to conjure up but through all of the comedy and lightheartedness however lays a series with tact. It’s a delicate, sensitive series that entertains as much as it educates what would be younger audience members in a way that must make the cast proud to have their names attached to such a wonderful series.
3FXCJo3.jpg
LzNu5mF.jpg

l9lwX2X.jpg
dyUDdb5.jpg
Ojamajo is a show about unluckiest pretty girl in the world, Harukaze Doremi. She dreams of becoming a witch one day as a means to use magic to fix all of her problems. The first episode introduces us to her life, her family and the way in which she becomes a witch. We learn the ways in which the magic works and the etiquette itself, from how to transform into a witch which requires the use of a object called a tap to currency that is needed in order to cast spells, known as magic spheres. The second episode introduces the audience to her best friend, the book smart Hazuki Fujiwara whom is having issues at home. Harukaze, feeling that she too has issues at home with her family decides to use her powers in order to switch places for the day where they soon grow to realize that maybe their families care more about them than they initially thought. The third episode introduces us to a new character that is new to the town and joins the same school as Harukaze. At first she seems a little mean but we grow to understand her and a friendship is formed between the three. The fourth episode deals with Karukaze’s friends becoming witches and the three work to renovate the magic shop in order to purchase more magic spheres.
The backgrounds in Ojamajo aren’t intricately detailed but are instead both soft and painterly, often evoking the aesthetic of a children’s fairy tale book. The edges of the screen are often faded out and the backgrounds have a texture to it not unlike a dimpled handmade piece of paper. All of this works together to create a warm and inviting canvas that you often get lost in. An extensive use of earth tones comprised of browns, tans, warm greys, and greens are utilized which adds to this effect. For a show that aired in 1999, one aimed at a younger audience no less and at a span of 51 episodes the show has managed to age amazingly well and looks fantastic. Some of the more dated visual effects manage to add charm to this show and are implemented flawlessly. The visuals are pleasant and attractive to the eyes and fantastic character designs and animation play a big part in that.
The character designs themselves are fun and highly animated. The characters have large heads with huge eyes that are super expressive. Expressive is the perfect word to use when talking about this show because everything from the facial expressions to the hyper animated and exaggerated mannerisms of the characters is highly indicative of a young child. The animators capture the childlike nature superbly which adds to the plausibility of these characters and their emotions. In traditional children show fashion the three main characters designs each make use of three distinct colors, pink, blue and orange in order to distinguish one from the other, although the unique character designs do the job of distinguishing them from each other perfectly as is. The character movements are funny and interesting and the facial expressions are equally entertaining.
Music is a key element of this series and so far this show has excelled in the audio department. The voice acting is nuanced and charming and the then 24 year old voice actress that voices the main character does a fantastic job of depicting the voice of a child. The cadence at which the characters speak adds a lot to the humor.
So far I’ve loved every second of this series and I’m champing at the bit to watch more. I have it on good record that this show goes in directions with some upsetting and depressing themes being tackled, from miscarriages to suicide and so far the show has done a fantastic job of proving that it will be able to handle these themes with tack and sensitivity and I can’t wait to watch more.
BM9nOHY.jpg

I'd like to think that I'm very diverse in what I consume entertainment wise, people just like to assume that I'm a stuck up so-and-so which is fine by me.

Didn't mean to offend you or anything, but the kind of shows you post about do tend to follow a certain pattern of being mostly niche older titles, so it can be a little surprising to see you post something like this.

Re:Zero - Episode 25 - Well, that was an ending I guess, not that it necessarily felt like one :/ can't say I was particularly enamoured by it, still don't like Subaru, still don't like Emilia, can't say the whole conversation at the end done anything for me (in fact the only "aw" moment for me was Patrasche protecting Subaru from the blast lol that probably says more about me as a person though.) Show had no where near enough Puck, Beatrice or Felt (yakno, the entertaining characters) in the end for me. As others have said it was clearly an ending to a show that didn't know if it would get another season, personally I'd prefer it didn't as I really have no appetite for it but I'm too invested to not watch it (I may look up this cliffhanger people are referring to though.)

All that said, I enjoyed this show quite a bit for the most part (despite the above making it seem otherwise), I just personally feel it hung around too long and didn't give the characters I liked enough screen time. It was a day one buy on homevideo for me at one point, not even sure I'll pick it up now.

Didn't mean to offend you or anything, but the kind of shows you post about do tend to follow a certain pattern of being mostly niche older titles, so it can be a little surprising to see you post something like this.

None taken, to be offended by what people think of what I watch in my spare time would be sad, I do find it funny tho. I guess one could see it that way, however quite a lot of the shows that I watch are actually far from niche and old, I would actually say that most are more well known than Ojamajo, quintessential even. I (and I too don't mean offense when I say this) think a lot of it has more to do with your general lack of knowledge of shows made before the year 1999 and so they seem more unknown to you. Utena (1997) and Rakugo (2016) were the two last shows I watched for instance, Utena is considered to be an all time classic on the level of an Evangelion, Rakugo was one of the more highly regarded shows of this year, raked #62 on the ever volatile MAL, the last movie that I watched was You are Umasou (2010), ranked #374, all of these are very popular and rank highly even on places like MAL. Another show that I watched recently was Kiznaiver, a show you're all familiar with which again came out this year, and I bet too not a show one would consider of my ilk. Indeed for every Kiznaiver I watch a Gosenzosama-Banbanzai will rear its head but I believe that has to do with me being very broad and accepting of the things that I watch, and also due to the fact that I keep a close eye on actual talent at a more nuanced level within the industry and so a highly regarded persons involvement is enough for me to watch something, just to see their scene and so on, for anything just for historical purposes and general interest in the industry.

Truth being told, I watch shows from every decade, aimed at every audience and every style, from cute to artistic, from old to new, so it might be a little ironic that people deem me to be the insular one when my top anime of all time ranges from Aku no Hana (2013), Patlabor (1989), Ping Pong (2014) and Giant Robo (1992). I think more than anything, this pattern is a self fulfilling prophecy brought on by others seeing what they want. I will say that shows aimed at a younger audience have always been my favorite, because children are indeed important and so a show that is aimed at such an audience and treates them with respect is something I admire, which is why I've always loved the World Masterpiece Theater catalog of shows. The kind of show that I'd be happy to let my daughter or son watch is to me the greatest kind of show.

Last edited:
Back