Your viewing journal - debate

shira

Shinigami
Re: Your viewing journal, an In-Depth look

stuart-says-yes said:
This topic is for the General Discussion of anime , generally about the episode's of anime you have recently watched in more depth than eg:

haruhi ep 1-3

bleach 241-243

Cobra 2-5

ect

This is for eg : today I watched naruto shippuden ep 112

It was an ok episode in which naruto and co fight against the crystal style user gurren and her allies.

I didn't like this arc much as a whole as it was mainly filler and was based on 4 panels from the manga.

even just" I watched the first 3 episode's of endless eight and im pissed of that they would draw it out that long" would be ok or "ye it was all right" would suit.

(Idea by jayme)

Y'know, this happens in the Viewing Journal thread anyway right?

Just to defend myself, since I apparently have a creator credit. I was just going over that nice conversation (that happens daily/weekly) that it would be nice if everyone constantly posted with some thoughts and speculation after every episode/chapter/stuff that people watched during the day. It should come natural, is all I was saying. What's the point of watching if you can't discuss what you think of something with others in a fandom? Aion does this motivational speech much better than I. And it sounds less hypocritical since he actually watches stuff on a regular basis.

The idea of making a separate specific thread was all Stuart.

Jayme said:
What's the point of watching if you can't discuss what you think of something with others in a fandom? Aion does this motivational speech much better than I. And it sounds less hypocritical since he actually watches stuff on a regular basis.
But it is also such a regular occurrence it just sounds like white noise and achieves nothing, like when I complain about packaging.

Sorry stuart, but as I see it this thread is pointless. People who want to post in depth can already do so in the established viewing journal - and have done for a long time. If you wanted to ask the mods / admins to request that people to stop making inane posts then you could. I don't imagine for a second it would happen, but it would probably have been more productive than producing another viewing journal.

The thing is, its a simple thing to remedy in that we just see if we can push people to write a bit more, a summary of their thoughts perhaps of the episodes they viewed. The main problem there is that not all of us are great at getting our points across. Heck, until recently, i was terrible at doing so myself, but now i add as much as i can. For mono as an example, she may not be that good at getting her thoughts across, so she just adds what she watched.

The thing is though, the topic, when made, never had anything saying "add a bit of a description on your thoughts", so it never came about. Just let people add what they can when they feel they can and let it progress as it does. All we need do asides from that is add maybe a bit more when we write.

Generally I don't comment on the anime I watch due to time constraints - I usually post during breaks at work.

Besides if I want to comment on a show/mark it out of ten I can post on the rating thread.

ayase said:
Sorry stuart, but as I see it this thread is pointless. People who want to post in depth can already do so in the established viewing journal - and have done for a long time. If you wanted to ask the mods / admins to request that people to stop making inane posts then you could. I don't imagine for a second it would happen, but it would probably have been more productive than producing another viewing journal.

QFT.

This thread idea is totally retarded. Most people here have MyAnimeList accounts, and if they're desperate to discuss a recent episode, instead of airing their thoughts here for probably little-to-no reply, they go on the MAL Episode forums. I know I used to regularly post in the Bleach forum every week.

To be honest, I could be wrong but, it feels like you've seen how successful the Viewing Journal thread is, and you want a thread that big. If you really cared, surely you'd petition in the Viewing Journal thread itself like Aion does?

By the fact this thread has like, 4 on topic replies, it kinda shows how pointless it is. What we should be encouraging is that when people finish a series, they make it a thread of its own. That way everyone who has finished that series can comment. If you're commenting on "Episode 12 of GitS: SAC", only people who are on that episode can really comment. If you've seen all of GitS, chances are you wouldnt remember what happens at Episode 12.

As a few people have said here too, time constraints can be a bitch when doing this kinda journal, hence threads once completed being a better idea.

Sadly this is now going down the path of flames. I don't think the idea to have two episode by episode threads, one in depth and one just recording progress, is necessarily a bad one; clearly people exist with both preferences since that's how the existing thread has ended up. Not everyone uses or likes MAL and it's a completely different site to this. If the topic is working it will get posts, and if it is a bad idea it will drift off into obscurity without the need to help it on its way with a flame war.

Clearly things aren't working out here so I'm splitting the off topic debate and rescuing the rest (either into the existing thread or their own depending on my lame forum skills today).

Edit: Done. Please feel free to continue to debate the subject at hand but without crushing the opinions of others with absolutes where possible.

R

I would say that the most simple solution is to ban Mononoke and Mangaman since they are the two forum spambots, but then the thread would be more or less dead since no-one posts about anime here. (Really, I'd just ban everyone, so it isn't worth listenting/reading my advice.)

I'm not really the best to comment on this issue. I don't really want to bother expressing myself these days since there are people far more articulate with actual social skills in existence, but I fail to see the point of posting on a forum if all you're going to do is list what you watched, without any details. MAL serves that purpose very well.

And, if you post elsewhere, there's an easy solution: C&P. I do whenever I post in the review thread.

No one posts about anime that much because there's more to life than just watching Japanese cartoons or reading the comics, I haven't watched anime in a week, my free time goes to the vidya or socializing.

ilmaestro said:
Aion said:
(Really, I'd just ban everyone, so it isn't worth listenting/reading my advice.)
Surely just easier to ban you, then?

But then, where would all the good posts come from? I lose on personality, but at least I have something of worth to say whenever I can be arsed.

If it it's me versus the people who think this is MAL, methinks I win every time, I'm sorry to say.

It isn't as if I haven't tried to get banned. Homophobia, racism, sexism, ********ism - I've tried everything.

Lupus said:
No one posts about anime that much because there's more to life than just watching Japanese cartoons or reading the comics, I haven't watched anime in a week, my free time goes to the vidya or socializing.

Most refreshing comment on the lack of activity here I've read :p

Wow. This is a ****** topic now.

"The Viewing Journal Debate" - Sounds like we have thrilling **** goin' on here.

Lets just face it, the topic was a f*cking stupid idea and should be locked/deleted/left to dwindle into the backlog of dead topics.

You're not doing so good with your attempts at typing like me, Dragon Boy. Quit while you're ahead, 'bra.

...But, yeah, the topic was a ******* stupid idea. For one, no modding is ever done, meaning nothing will ever be enforced. For two, there are too few members for this to seriously matter. For three, who really gives a **** about this ****?

Lupus said:
I approve of this post.

Aion said:
ilmaestro said:
Aion said:
(Really, I'd just ban everyone, so it isn't worth listenting/reading my advice.)
Surely just easier to ban you, then?

But then, where would all the good posts come from? I lose on personality, but at least I have something of worth to say whenever I can be arsed.
I think you know I was joking, but this makes it sound like you don't.

Lupus said:
No one posts about anime that much because there's more to life than just watching Japanese cartoons or reading the comics
Yes, because no-one uses the internet for anything other than, of course, serious business. Why are you even posting here instead of socializing or doing some of those "more to life" things?

Aion said:
You're not doing so good with your attempts at typing like me, Dragon Boy. Quit while you're ahead, 'bra.

Naw sadly i'm not attempting to type like you. If that was the case, i'd make my posts far longer. Truth is, this topic is ******. Can't I express my opinion at something ******?

Oh, and if you take a look, i'm not longer Dragon Boy ;)

stu-says-yes said:
your not helping it dwindle by moaning about it are you?

Ah but this is the 'Debate' for the Viewing Journal. By posting here i'm not furthering your crappy topic in anyway, just slaggin' it off.

Aion said:
...But, yeah, the topic was a **** stupid idea. For one, no modding is ever done, meaning nothing will ever be enforced. For two, there are too few members for this to seriously matter. For three, who really gives a **** about this ****?

Tbh, I do agree with Aion on this, though. This is the first time in a while now that anythings actually been modded, and look at it. It's a debate about a crappin' viewing journal.

There could be some could discussion on here (and I for one intend to start taking part in it more) but I dont think anyone gives a crap anymore. Maybe if I make an Outlaw Star thread, it'll attract some attention.

Just because, again, I can't help myself. I see people complaining about a lack-of-time to post a few words about anime, after they have watched about three hours worth of the stuff. There's two and a half minutes worth of OP and ED in almost every show, and it doesn't really take longer than five minutes to give a quick idea of what you like to see more off, who your hatin' on etc etc.

This thread should probz be locked though, cos it will be eventually after some boring-ass riot has happened, there'll be blood in the stalls, personal insults chucked around, the odd motivational picture to sum up the proceedings then lockage. Rawr.

Aion said:

...But, yeah, the topic was a **** stupid idea. For one, no modding is ever done, meaning nothing will ever be enforced. For two, there are too few members for this to seriously matter. For three, who really gives a **** about this ****?

i assume you missed the fact half you post moaning about giving people dvd's was edited then ;)

The people commenting that they're too busy/people have lives don't seem to realize they're able to make time to comment about not being able to post about anime.

I suppose there will never be a cure for idiocy. If people don't have time for anime, they wouldn't be reading posts on a ******* anime message board.

People like the black bastard just want to try to standout from the crowd; be anime fans in denial. Everyone goes through a stage where they need to distance themselves from anime for normality reasons - it's a natural part of growth into an even more annoying, fully developed prick.

Back