Your verdict: Your Name, Madman version

Neil.T

Idolm@ster
So...

With all editions of Anime Limited's UK release of Makoto Shinkai's smash-hit movie Your Name now available, what are your opinions on Australian distributor Madman's authoring job of the Blu-ray disc?

Is it as bad as one early screenshot seemed to suggest? And what do you think of the audio?

Over to y'all! :eek:

Based on my recent viewing of it, I'd suggest it's maybe not quite as bad in motion when you're just watching it and not paying too much attention to trying to find spots where it's bad. People who aren't major videophiles likely won't be too bothered by it.

However, there is one scene where it starts raining heavily and the video-quality takes an absolute nose-dive, however. That was the scene that jumped out at me as being awful quality when I watched it, as opposed to that one with Mitsuha and whatshisface on the bike. Here's a screenshot I took (uploaded to my own site, since it's above the filesize limit for Imgur to keep it as a PNG), there's probably more egregious examples from within the same scene.

Regarding the audio, no comment, since I have nothing to compare it to.

Other than the artificially bright picture that makes even nighttime look like day, my main beef is in fact with the audio: it's just so weak and tinny-sounding, audible from as early as 2min 57secs with Radwimps' opening song.

There's another bit, at 30min 07secs where the last few drumbeats before the vocal kicks in sound distorted, almost as if there's an echo ahead of each. And at 30min 24 secs the vocals sound like they're shifting channels. The dialogue during this sequence sounds especially poor — very 'hissy' and washed-out.

(As I have seen the film four times previously, at the cinema, I took this opportunity to take some notes. :oops:)

I'm waiting because of this. I'll buy it further down the line when the dodgy versions are mostly out of circulation. The Steelbook does keep eyeing me up though.

I'm doing the same thing with When Marnie Was There except I ripped it and made a working bluray myself so I didn't miss out but I won't be buying it again for a while. (Studio Canal tried to cover it up and downplay it so screw them.)

Loving the full stop in the title. ;)
I going to have to stop myself from being pedantic with everyone from now on though! If Shinkai-san says it's meant to be there then in it goes. I edited the above post I linked to, but I'm not going to go back and edit every post I made about it, I'm not that crazy (yet!)

Last edited:
So... this time I watched the film with the English dub and English songs. The audio really is poor. "Hollowed out" is indeed very much the perfect description: https://twitter.com/commitsudoku/status/926230061556133890

I had a bit of spare time still left, so I popped the DVD in my player to have a quick look at that. It has all the same problems as the BD: the audio is just as bad, and it also carries over the pair of subtitle errors:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/193111246453735425/374684740571234304/image.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/193111246453735425/374678560163495938/image.png

There's actually one more (minor) subtitle error that isn't covered there: at 23min 59secs, Okudera asks "Is everything ok?" (all lowercase). Elsewhere in the film, it's rendered as "OK" in capitals. I spotted that on first viewing, and yet somehow Madman couldn't.

After that, I tried the soundtrack CD in the same player and had a listen to the first track. What a difference! Much punchier, and the drums actually sound like drums.

Last edited:
In the twitter post it says it may not affect surround sound and I was listening on my PlayStation 7.1 headset, so may not have noticed. I don't think I have a good ear for the really technical stuff either, unless it's really obvious, so I may have missed all this stuff.

In the twitter post it says it may not affect surround sound and I was listening on my PlayStation 7.1 headset, so may not have noticed. I don't think I have a good ear for the really technical stuff either, unless it's really obvious, so I may have missed all this stuff.
I have a stereo setup, and it just sounds... wrong. This quote in @Joshawott's post really sums it up for me:
The left and right channels aren't synced and they lag differently at different points, causing weird phasing issues that will make it sound weird, thin, and hollowed out.
I could not have come up with better words than "thin" and "hollowed out". That is so accurate.

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't even particularly consider myself much of an audiophile. Maybe the fact I used to listen to a lot of music means I still have a bit of an ear for it, though! ;)

Back