Your controversial anime opinions.

Horizon on/in the Middle of Nowhere is 2 cours of incomprehensible mindless fanwank!
My favourite quote from an article on Manga's blog about Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere season 2:

As before, the big robots contend with the girls’ bigger busts. (Wags have made the joke that Horizon puts viewers in mind of a basketball anime, just because of the character designs.)

maxresdefault.jpg

Flowers of Evil was a perfect adaptation of the manga. Shame it never got the 2nd season it deserved. :(
Aku no hana is so damn good, the ending to episode 7 is a masterpiece, hell the transition from episode 1 to the end credits gives me goosebumps each and every time I see it, the audio direction is immaculate, the whole production is such a beautifully crafted concoction of pure dread and absolute joy, there's nothing else out there quite like it.

Attack on Titan is the most overrated and overhyped anime I have come across. I barley made it half a cour in before being bored out my brain and was like esh definitely not for me. I just don't understand the hype over it.

I was still in 6th form when the first season aired and remember so many people talking about it people I had no idea even watched anime! I was like where the hell where you people the rest of the year when we were talking about anime, before it felt like there was niche group of us that talked and watched anime but then with AoT felt like half the year was! That annoyed me to hell. Did anime suddenly become "cool enough" to talk about now with AoT? Oh please.

That annoyed me to hell. Did anime suddenly become "cool enough" to talk about now with AoT? Oh please.

That is indeed the case. There is a short list of anime that goes mainstream enough that people who don't watch anime consider it okay to watch. There is a certain subset of people that literally only watch these particular anime. There's nothing wrong with that, but be careful if your opinion on that anime is not "this is the best thing ever", because they will be sure to let you know how utterly wrong you are and how AoT etc is a masterpiece and you lack taste for not liking it.

I suppose from their perspective it is a very shiny new thing and everything they've seen is the best thing ever. To someone who has dug deeper it can just come across as overly hyperbolic when the latest big thing is elevated to the status of deification to a large portion of the fanbase.

Attack on Titan was okay. Probably middling in terms of keeping my engagement. Haven't even bothered watching the second series come to think of it.

Attack on Titan is the most overrated and overhyped anime I have come across
How dare You! Why I outta! But he you have a point. I like the series myself, and if I watched it again looking for faults I wouldn't have to look far to find them. Even now it's not sure which tropes to follow, where it fits in the grand scheme of things when it comes to the type of series it I. Is it about the government? The titan threat? It seems to come up with things out of the blue without finishing the first kind of mystery. That and this action - or - drama is talked about to death by anyone whose seen it streamed or broadcast. Game of thrones kind of has this same problem, you can't escape people talking about it

That annoyed me to hell. Did anime suddenly become "cool enough" to talk about now with AoT? Oh please.
The current bunch of schoolie/millenialoids are exposed to the same thing - Netflix and YouTube. If someone has a YouTube channel where they talk about retro games then this suddenly becomes socially acceptable. My niece just finished high school and comics/anime/games etc are all really cool to be a part of. She's really impressive apparently because she knows what "The Konami Code" is. The Netflix anime available (for example AoT and Sword Art Online) is easily consumed and thus again socially acceptable. Although they found it first and any attempt to suggest that SAO was not the first example of someone being trapped in a computer game is met with contempt and disapproval because it's wrong...apparently.
I was ridiculed as a kid for my interest in comics, D&D, computers (pre-facebook), games and even anime when that came along in the 90's. These days I've been elevated to a god-like status for having even a little bit of exposure to these things. Maybe I should take pride in the fact that I've gone from being a geek to being used to settle arguments? :rolleyes:

EDIT - reading this back it sounds like a dig but is more a criticism on how generic the culture has become.

*looks at unwatched copies on shelf*

I'll be back in 10-12 hours.
Oh god, man. Best of luck. :eek:
I was ridiculed as a kid for my interest in comics, D&D, computers (pre-facebook), games and even anime when that came along in the 90's. These days I've been elevated to a god-like status for having even a little bit of exposure to these things.
We were just born into the wrong era, I reckon. :(/:mad:

The current bunch of schoolie/millenialoids are exposed to the same thing - Netflix and YouTube. If someone has a YouTube channel where they talk about retro games then this suddenly becomes socially acceptable. My niece just finished high school and comics/anime/games etc are all really cool to be a part of. She's really impressive apparently because she knows what "The Konami Code" is. The Netflix anime available (for example AoT and Sword Art Online) is easily consumed and thus again socially acceptable. Although they found it first and any attempt to suggest that SAO was not the first example of someone being trapped in a computer game is met with contempt and disapproval because it's wrong...apparently.
I was ridiculed as a kid for my interest in comics, D&D, computers (pre-facebook), games and even anime when that came along in the 90's. These days I've been elevated to a god-like status for having even a little bit of exposure to these things. Maybe I should take pride in the fact that I've gone from being a geek to being used to settle arguments? :rolleyes:

EDIT - reading this back it sounds like a dig but is more a criticism on how generic the culture has become.
Haven't quite got so much of this in my town but yea mellinials have made it "cool" now. Dang millenials I was watching robotech and losing on the mega drive and having a rage fit that got me caught under the cupboard when they were barely thought of!

It is a weird feeling isn't it? Like you want people to be accepting of the things you like and like it too but in ways like you mentioning it happens your sat there scratching your head thinking this is not how it is supposed to be. Like comic book movies becoming main stream, jeez like I was the only guy in 6th form that read genuine comics but I'd get a butt load questions a lot, at first it's like "awesome I finally get to talk about all this comic book trivia" but then it slowly becomes annoying and it's far from as "awesome" as it's not a conversation but you one sidedly explaining things.

I was fortunate enough to have a breadth of interests so fitting in school, 6th form. & Uni was never an issue for me but since anime comics etc was a big part of my hobbying it did suck I couldn't disucss much, I'd always try and bring it up at Uni but people sadly never were interested, bring up cars however all of a sudden everyone wants to join in the convo... Uni was so cliché, guys into cars and women into make up etc.

All anime from ufotable apart from Fate/Zero are mediocre at best

At least Garden of Sinners 5 & 7 are an exception to this imo.

In Code Geass I love everything with Lelouch, It's when he's acting as Zero that the show is a lot less interesting. And most of the Knightmare stuff was pretty boring for me honestly.

Back