Your 2024 game announcement predictions

Dai

Pokémon Master
We're into the new financial year now. Despite the death of E3, late spring is still a common time for game announcements. So what do you think we'll hear about this year?

Likely
Resident Evil IX - Village was originally planned as a spin-off, so I would expect the next mainline entry to be well into production by now. As for what it will be like, VII went the haunted house route like RE1 and Village had echoes of RE4's rural/castle locations, so I wonder if IX will go for an urban US setting like 2/3 or maybe even a return to the African setting of RE5.

Next Atelier game - it's weird that this hasn't been announced already, but maybe that's because there were multiple Atelier releases last year. I also wonder if they're switching to a new engine now that the Ryza trilogy has finished, though I wouldn't be surprised if they delay doing that until the Switch's successor is well established a couple of years from now.

Possible
Final Fantasy IX remake - this was mentioned in an Nvidia leak a few years back, and almost everything else on that list has turned out to be real. It's been hinted that FFXIV: Dawntrail will include references to FFIX, which would make sense to drum up interest before maybe announcing an FFIX remake around Tokyo Game Show time in September.

First trailer for Ace Combat 8 - this was first thought to be in production back in 2021, but a formal announcement only came late last year. Considering the huge wait since AC7, I wonder if an initial version of AC8 was scrapped and they started again from scratch. That would make sense if they decided to switch to Unreal Engine 5, which would be a perfect fit for this series with its high-speed asset streaming and procedural city generation tools.

Xenoblade Chronicles X Switch port - as the one game in the series not currently on Switch, this seems a logical project. Then again, if Monolithsoft are already working on something for the Switch's successor then a port of a Wii U game may not be their top priority.

Unlikely
Another console Blue Reflection game - Gust made a concerted effort to turn this into a major franchise a few years ago, but only Second Light was well received, with the anime underperforming so badly that it didn't even receive a JP BD release and the mobile game lasting barely a year. Hopefully they learnt the lesson that Second Light was the template for success, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just shelve the franchise.

Valkyria Chronicles 5 - Despite VC4 selling over a million copies, this franchise has been seemingly dead since 2018. Sega are notorious for having skewed priorities though, green-lighting any junk with Sonic in it while ignoring many of their other franchises.

Impossible dreams
Any Skies of Arcadia project - like Valkyria Chronicles, this is another beloved property that Sega don't seem to care about anymore, but with an extra couple of decades of neglect on the clock.

Shenmue IV - Given the lackluster reception of 3 and the volatile state of the games industry these days, I can't see this happening. It was a miracle that 3 happened.

A HoYoVerse game that's just a complete product with one price tag on it...

Last edited:
Ooh, this'll be a bit of fun.

Zelda WW + TP HD Switch Ports - Along with a couple of other Wii U games it seems really odd we still don't have these on Switch yet, with no Zelda title planned this year (be it a new title, re-release or spin-off) this would be the perfect time to finally port these two.

Resi 9 - Like mentioned above I expect to see something of this sooner or later.

DMC 6 - It's been quite a while now since DMC 5 released so I could definitely see a new entry soon.

Donkey Kong - No idea when this'll happen or who will be the developer but it'll happen eventually, we just need a new DK game, would be great for the Switch 2 (with them definitely highlighting DK's fur with the improved tech of the Switch 2).

Sonic Rhythm Game - This one is just a dream of mine, not expecting it in the slightest.

Likely

Metroid Prime 4

Honestly it’s been so long since this was first announced that I’ll be very surprised if we don’t hear more about it this year, especially with Nintendo’s next console on the horizon.

Games that probably won’t happen but if I become king of the world then I’ll legally require them to be made.

Timesplitters 4

They seriously need to bring this franchise back, Timesplitters 2 was one of the best games ever made and Future Perfect was great as well, though given that FP came out almost 2 decades ago this one is very unlikely.

A new Shadow Hearts game

Another franchise that desperately needs to come back, Shadow Hearts Covenant is quite possibly my favourite JRPG of all time, that or Lost Odyssey, bring that one back too please.

A game I highly doubt will be ready this year but I hope to have more info on it this year but can’t make any promises because…… this year.

My game

Yeah I’ve been working on a game of my own but development has been really slow, mostly consisting of working out how to tell the story I want to tell while not making it impossible for me to develop, now I think I’ve settled on an idea but the next step is actually developing the game; I’ve decided to keep my first game simple enough to develop by myself but it’s not guaranteed that I’ll have any more info this year and extremely unlikely that it’ll be ready this year.

My game

Yeah I’ve been working on a game of my own but development has been really slow, mostly consisting of working out how to tell the story I want to tell while not making it impossible for me to develop, now I think I’ve settled on an idea but the next step is actually developing the game; I’ve decided to keep my first game simple enough to develop by myself but it’s not guaranteed that I’ll have any more info this year and extremely unlikely that it’ll be ready this year.

I know that feeling, I've been incredibly slow on working on mine as well, figuring out the scope and what I can reasonably do with my skills plus just life in general getting in the way, I really need / want to get back to it.

I know that feeling, I've been incredibly slow on working on mine as well, figuring out the scope and what I can reasonably do with my skills plus just life in general getting in the way, I really need / want to get back to it.
Yeah, making a game is easier said than done but what I’ve learned is that the more time you spend on it, the greater your skills will become, I remember my first proper attempt at making a game, I gave it a go and it was mostly a mess but I learned so much from the experience that I’m now much better suited to work on my next project, however I can guarantee I’m going to make mistakes on this attempt as well, hence why I’m planning to keep it simple, give it my all and learn from my mistakes as I go along, hopefully when it’s all said and done I’ll have a good game ready to start selling, which will be a whole other learning curve that I’ll need to experience.

In any case, if you do get back to working on your game then best of luck with it, it’s not easy but it’ll no doubt be worth the effort.

Last edited:
Yeah, making a game is easier said than done but what I’ve learned is that the more time you spend on it, the greater your skills will become, I remember my first proper attempt at making a game, I gave it a go and it was mostly a mess but I learned so much from the experience that I’m now much better suited to work on my next project, however I can guarantee I’m going to make mistakes on this attempt as well, hence why I’m planning to keep it simple, give it my all and learn from my mistakes as I go along, hopefully when it’s all said and done I’ll have a good game ready to start selling, which will be a whole other learning curve that I’ll need to experience.

In any case, if you do get back to working on your game then best of luck with it, it’s not easy but it’ll no doubt be worth the effort.

Agree with you 100%, I'm always improving my skills the more I develop and the many problems that come with game development definitely helps (despite how frustrating they can be at times 😅😂) but it's a very trial and error process and there is so many ways to go about things which is what I like.

Thanks btw, I wish you the best of luck as well, I look forward to seeing your game down the road

Agree with you 100%, I'm always improving my skills the more I develop and the many problems that come with game development definitely helps (despite how frustrating they can be at times 😅😂) but it's a very trial and error process and there is so many ways to go about things which is what I like.

Thanks btw, I wish you the best of luck as well, I look forward to seeing your game down the road

Thanks.

If you’re interested, there’s a thread in the creative arena on this site called “About that game I’ve occasionally said that I’m making” it’s only got a few very early screenshots of an older build that was from before I decided to start over but it might be interesting to see nonetheless, I’d originally planned to update it as I went along but that didn’t go to plan, though the screenshots are still there and it also comes with a behind the scenes screenshot of my userpic, made entirely in Blender.
Fun fact, I’d originally planned for the userpic to be a placeholder but decided to keep it due to it having a simple but effective look.

Last edited:
Likely

Metroid Prime 4

Honestly it’s been so long since this was first announced that I’ll be very surprised if we don’t hear more about it this year, especially with Nintendo’s next console on the horizon.
Nintendo have a habit of delaying a late-generation game originally intended for one system and turning it into a launch game for their next system. I wouldn't be surprised if Metroid Prime 4 has become a launch title for Switch 2.
Games that probably won’t happen but if I become king of the world then I’ll legally require them to be made.

Timesplitters 4

They seriously need to bring this franchise back, Timesplitters 2 was one of the best games ever made and Future Perfect was great as well, though given that FP came out almost 2 decades ago this one is very unlikely.
This was happening, but was sadly cancelled when Embracer shut down Free Radical last year.
A new Shadow Hearts game

Another franchise that desperately needs to come back, Shadow Hearts Covenant is quite possibly my favourite JRPG of all time, that or Lost Odyssey, bring that one back too please.
This is sort of happening, at least in the form of a spiritual successor called Penny Blood that is due out in 2025. And yes, Covenant was brilliant. I could go for a Koudelka remake too, since the main thing holding that back was the sluggish pace of the combat.

This was happening, but was sadly cancelled when Embracer shut down Free Radical last year.

This is sort of happening, at least in the form of a spiritual successor called Penny Blood that is due out in 2025. And yes, Covenant was brilliant. I could go for a Koudelka remake too, since the main thing holding that back was the sluggish pace of the combat.
First I’ve heard of Free Radical shutting down but it looks like the hype train has crashed for this one… and I was really hoping for another Timesplitters game as well.

Regarding Penny Blood, I have heard of it and am interested so hopefully it’ll turn out well, if it can be almost as good as Covenant then it’ll still be excellent.

Back