Would you read digital books?

Would you read digital books?

• Yes - Going digital is the only way to go

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - There's nothing like holding a paperback in your hands

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hiya guys and gals

I'm currently writing an article for my business class about publishers going digital and I was wondering if there was anyone on this forum who reads digital books. Many people see this as an extension of manga, afterall, manga scanlations are read online. And last year, half of the top ten books in Japan started life as a mobile phone novel, so I'm starting to wonder is going digital the future of publishing?

Does anyone read eBooks on their Apple iPhone or iPod Touch? If you do, please let me know, as I'd like to get your thoughts on the subject to see if technology is opening up books to a new audience.

Thank you kindly

M.G xx

n.b- If anyone works or has a contact in publishing, would you mind dropping me a PM? I'm trying to talk to someone in publishing to get their view. If anyone wouldn't mind helping me out, I would be grateful.

Well, I surely have heard and thought these thing were possible, but I've never actually witnessed anything like you've said.
Only the one time I've read free manga strips on a newspaper site (Japanese I think, but it was in english language... not sure, it was a while ago).

I've never read an e-book. Never thought about mobile phones being used to read either. I would stick to my paper-based stuff, as I don't read fan-fic online, so I'd probably wont start with other electrical devices.
Hope that's enlightening.

If I were to read something like a novel I wouldn't do it online. I've tried reading someones story on the computer before and I just felt more comfortable printing it off first and sitting somewhere else to read it. Same goes with manga scanlations. I'd rather have a hard copy since reading for extended periods on the PC can seem to suck a lot of the enjoyment out of the experience.

Agree with Sy. Also I don't read scanlations and paper/ink is just easier on my eyes.

R

I really dont feel to comfortable reading stories online.
Much prefer traditional.
Not to say I couldint get used to digital.

No, I can't say I would. I just much rather have the book in my hands to be able to read it. I tend to get pretty bored doing things like that online, I feel like I shouldn't be or something ..I can't read scanlations too well either, which is why I much prefer the manga ..

So no, I wouldn't read them now, and I don't think, if there ever would be (is?) I would read them anyway.

i couldn't say really. I'd probably rather have the actual book than having it all digitalised. That doesn't mean to say i wouldn't give it a try, its just that it wouldn't feel the same at night, say, whenever you feel like reading a book and, instead, you glance at a screen all the time. I do find when reading large amounts of text on a screen of a computer or whatever, that it can be a bit annoying with my eyes.

i have a pda which is as close to a digital book.
its alright for reading articles but theres no substitute for good old paper :)

if i was made to choose between reading digital manga or manga in a book.
the book would win everytime.

you can't define a proper manga book in your hand, and admit you've accomplished something.

Can't do that with digital media

I think dead tree format is still the best way to go about it all. At least we can replant trees instead of using up yet more fossil fuels on yet more electronic products. And reading things on screens just reminds me of the existence of fanfiction, and then it's only a short jump from there to the other depressing crimes of so called civilisation.

The thoughts of reading an entire novel in digital form is fairly horrifying for me, for most of the reasons already mentioned. I definitely prefer the physical copy.

Nah...I spend all day on the computer, and probably more than necessary at night. When I read, I 'd rather do it away from the computer.

I don't mind short fanfics, but that's as far as I can stretch.

I generally find reading comics on a screen weird too.

I'd only consider using them if they could do everything i can do with regular books (eg be portable, light and be useable at any time given the correct lighting). the closest i can think of would be a portable Bistable LCD system (a type of electronic paper which uses less electricity (ie electricity is only used to change the image displayed not to run the vdu constantly)) although i'd wait for a way to get my back catalogue as it were onto there cheap as free.

Thinking about it,

if your on the train/underground where theres poor lighting , or bored waiting for something.
don't have the option to go to a bookstore.
only have your psp/ipod/phone on you.
its a good way to read manga when you don't really have the hard copy with you.

in them situations i agree with digitalized manga.

Back