Worth importing Japanese dvds?

sheentaku

Completely Average High School Student
Hey guys i just want your views,
Basically im thinking of buying Kimi ga Aruji de Shitsuji ga Ore de(they our my noble masters) on dvd as i loved the series on fansubs and i really want to support the creators.
alas though the series works out to about £170 Plus shipping.
For 13 of episodes its kind of alot of money.

I am also worried if it will work on my ps3, Would japense dvds work on a uk PS3?

sheentaku said:
Hey guys i just want your views,
Basically im thinking of buying Kimi ga Aruji de Shitsuji ga Ore de(they our my noble masters) on dvd as i loved the series on fansubs and i really want to support the creators.
alas though the series works out to about £170 Plus shipping.
For 13 of episodes its kind of alot of money.

I am also worried if it will work on my ps3, Would japense dvds work on a uk PS3?

13 episodes.... 170 quid?? No. Nonononononononono.

Just dont do it. You wanna show support? Go look up some merchandise or **** like that. You'll probably move onto to a new obbsession soon. We all go through phases.

They should since Japan uses Region 2 too. Most things nowadays should play NTSC products fine too, so I wouldn't worry about NTSC. I wouldn't advise getting Japanese DVDs unless you know Japanese, or know of any fansub groups that want the raws. Also, they're hella expensive.

Find out if Hong Kong or Taiwan have an official release. Then you can support the creators and pay a more reasonable amount. Try YesAsia.com, they only sell official DVD's.

It's worth bearing in mind HK or Taiwan DVD's will be R3 though if they are official, so will not work in your PS3 - but an unlockable DVD player can be had for £20 these days.

yup thats the one, its just i played the hentai game and i loved it.
plus the adaption is quite good.

on second thought ill buy a figure and download the raws...

The general answer: Yes, absolutely.

The short-term answer: Not right now, wait for Sterling to strengthen.

I had the same idea as you, I loved Kaiba so much I went out and bought the first two DVDs, but the Sterling dropped so much it was substantially more to get the third so I'm still waiting on it (this was months ago now though). It's a good idea to support the creators : ) (EDIT: Likewise I preordered the four first pressing LE's of Soul Eater, because it comes with huge amounts of extras, now though they're each £10 more expensive than when I preordered them, so it's painful to see them sitting in my orders just waiting to be released when I really don't want to spend that kind of money).

I've bought quite a few other bits and bobs as well, just because (LE's in general) beat anything else released outside of Japan hands down.

Japanese dvds won't play on an uk ps3. a blu-ray disc would though.

WRT is it worth or not, well, it's up to you. I've spent about 140 quid in the Haruhi release and I don't regret it. Melonpan advice is really good, as if you wait a bit and still feel the same way about the show, you should definitely buy. Otherwise, it's as Spyro said, just a phase.

Edit: Oh, yes, you can use handbrake or something similar, rip the dvd and play in your ps3.

ayase said:
chaos said:
Wrong way round chaos! UK and Japan are both R2 for DVD. For Blu-ray UK is B, Japan is A.

Yeah of course this is what i thought would be good, but then i realised as people say that unless you know your Japanese....

ayase said:
chaos said:
Wrong way round chaos! UK and Japan are both R2 for DVD. For Blu-ray UK is B, Japan is A.

You're right. As I always say, drunk lemurs should prevent from posting techie tips on forums. The rest of my original post is still valid though, sorry if I confused you sheetaku.

Back