Wolf's Rain Review

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Moving and philosophical, violent and magical, ugly yet beautiful; that is Wolf’s Rain, a story about life, friends, the end of the world and pursuing a dream when everyone else has given up.

Continue reading...

What an absolutely excellent review!

This really captures a lot of why I personally love Wolf's Rain. And I was pleased to read something that acknowledges the show's almighty recap episode stuff-up without losing sight of the fact that it's still a complete story.

Glad you gave props to the opening and ending songs as well. 'Stray' is a full blooded melodic rock masterpiece. And I'll never forget the night I got dragged to an open mic night (very much against my will, because my town's local music scene is DIRE) and got treated halfway through to an awesome, pitch perfect rendition of 'Gravity.'

I think myself and the girl who sang it were the only two people in the bar who knew the song. That was a good night.

What an absolutely excellent review!

This really captures a lot of why I personally love Wolf's Rain. And I was pleased to read something that acknowledges the show's almighty recap episode stuff-up without losing sight of the fact that it's still a complete story.

Glad you gave props to the opening and ending songs as well. 'Stray' is a full blooded melodic rock masterpiece. And I'll never forget the night I got dragged to an open mic night (very much against my will, because my town's local music scene is DIRE) and got treated halfway through to an awesome, pitch perfect rendition of 'Gravity.'

I think myself and the girl who sang it were the only two people in the bar who knew the song. That was a good night.

Wow, 'Gravity' is the last song I'd expect to hear at an English(?) karaoke night too, so I can imagine that being a memorable night!

Anyway, thanks for saying that you liked the review. I spent a lot of time writing this last week trying to drill down into why I've always found Wolf's Rain to be so emotionally affecting. If I've been able to reflect that even a little bit, I'm happy!

Your review has convinced my mother to watch the show! She loves all things wolf and found the review to be (in her words) super insightful and interesting :)

I'm genuinely flattered that your Mum liked the review and wants to watch the series. Thanks for letting me know! I really hope your Mum enjoys it! :)

Wow, 'Gravity' is the last song I'd expect to hear at an English(?) karaoke night too, so I can imagine that being a memorable night!

Not really a karaoke night - it was more a 'bring your gear and do what you want' open mic kind of thing. Truthfully, I'd gone to this a few times in the same venue, even played a few times, and it was usually... disappointing. These things, in my experience are usually ego driven affairs where any idiot with a guitar and an excess of unwarranted confidence gets up, does their bit, and gets told they're amazing by everybody even though they really, really weren't.

But this was really quite special. The girl could only have been about 20, and she had NO gear at all. No pre-recorded backing, nothing. She just sang the song and nailed it. And, impressively, the gaggle of regulars at the pub all stayed completely silent for it. She got a HUGE round of applause when she was finished, which she deserved. Because she was clearly nervous as all get out about getting up to sing.

Anyway, thanks for saying that you liked the review. I spent a lot of time writing this last week trying to drill down into why I've always found Wolf's Rain to be so emotionally affecting. If I've been able to reflect that even a little bit, I'm happy!

You done good. It's hard work making a review engaging and personal, while at the same time describing the work in question for the benefit of other people. This one was top tier!

Back