Winter 2015 Legal Anime Streaming Thread

Professor Irony said:
As a matter of curiosity, do Funi run free streams a week behind their subscription model, in the same manner as CR? Viewster's Funi-derived stream of Death Parade is offset in that manner and, while I appreciate that someone is running the show in the UK at all, it is a bit frustrating when they can't offer any ppv/subscription option to see the episodes as they air.

Yep. And I hear you about the unfair streaming rules between countries :s

R

Ian Wolf said:
Animax announces it will stream Red Data Girl.

Source

Looks like Animax are slowly adding new titles each week again (just like the summer period), this time being from the Anime on Demand period.

The Mystic Archives of Dantalian is now up on Animax, all 12 episodes.

Shiroi Hare had listed the remaining AoD titles from FP:
A Dark Rabbit Has Seven Lives
Lagrange: The Flower of Rin-ne - Viz Media title in the US
Maken-ki! - Funimation title in the US
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU - Sentai Filmworks title in the US
Nichijou
PhotoKano - Sentai Filmworks title in the US
R-15
Red Data Girl - Funimation title in the US
Sekaiichi Hatsukoi 2
To Love-Ru Darkness - Sentai Filmworks title in the US
Twin Angel: Twinkle Paradise

Animax may add Maken-Ki! and SNAFU next (just a hunch).

vashdaman said:
How long till the next season? There's not enough slice of life/ Shojo in my life right now.

The next season starts in April and I've planned to set up the Spring 2015 version once the first piece of simulcast news was announced (whether it's UK or USA).

There's quite a lot of shows I'm keen on starting next season - like Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan, The Heroic Legend of Arslan, Lupin the Third (2015), My Love Story! & Sound! Euphonium. Though my only concern is that Funimation will most likely attempt to grab at least 19 or so shows from the season, some will be obvious while others might be a surprise (like if they decide to get Triage X because H.O.T.D. sold so well for Sentai).

NormanicGrav said:
vashdaman said:
How long till the next season? There's not enough slice of life/ Shojo in my life right now.

The next season starts in April and I've planned to set up the Spring 2015 version once the first piece of simulcast news was announced (whether it's UK or USA).

There's quite a lot of shows I'm keen on starting next season - like Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan, The Heroic Legend of Arslan, Lupin the Third (2015), My Love Story! & Sound! Euphonium. Though my only concern is that Funimation will most likely attempt to grab at least 19 or so shows from the season, some will be obvious while others might be a surprise (like if they decide to get Triage X because H.O.T.D. sold so well for Sentai).

Be interesting to see if we eventually get a longer running show out of Triage X than they did HOTD.

Speaking of Gundam. i noticed that Gundam: The Origin is up on Daisuki already in both Japanese, and dubbed. the only catch is you have to pay for the episode itself. Not sure if it's pay to own or pay to rent however, which is the only catch for me. At what, £4 though, for the amount of language options available, i am tempted by it

Arbalest said:
Speaking of Gundam. i noticed that Gundam: The Origin is up on Daisuki already in both Japanese, and dubbed. the only catch is you have to pay for the episode itself. Not sure if it's pay to own or pay to rent however, which is the only catch for me. At what, £4 though, for the amount of language options available, i am tempted by it

I think it's pay to rent. :?

NormanicGrav said:
Arbalest said:

I think it's pay to rent. :?

£4 Pay to rent? I think i'll pass then. I'd rather it was Pay to own at that price for a digital copy of an OVA, rather than rent. That puts me off, actually.

That would be a bit of a poor value proposition for the buyers of the physical edition though, wouldn't it? £4 for a digital copy or £30 for the basic BD. If it led to a corresponding drop in physical sales then the project would lose money, so I would imagine a DTO option would cost a lot more than £4.

It's still cheaper than watching a film in the cinema, hence the rental price. Those foreign language dubs don't pay for themselves.

R

I'd be interested to know what the uptake is like for that kind of model. Maybe I'd feel differently if I was more into Gundam, but I don't fancy paying £4 to rent a single title, compared to periodically paying not that much more for the full library from a subscription service.

I don't think it's a problem when it's movies and OAVs. They don't typically come to streaming services anyway, since the entire funding model is different, but this gives people a relatively cheap way to watch them legally simultaneously with Japan. I can't see it working well for television series.

R

Yeah imagine if they did it for Eva 3.33 while everyone is waiting for the eternally-delayed disc release!

I'd love it for some of the more niche stuff which never comes over (or takes forever).

R

I guess i do see it as you both do, so i am probably being a little strict with being against it. In some ways i need to do a little warming to the idea. Perhaps after reading the manga, my mind will change on if i'd invest in it or not. On another note though, is the west getting a physical release of Origin? If so, do we have any kind of info on that?

Back