Why is Neon Genesis Evangelion so darn popular?

CitizenGeek said:
But that's just being needlessly verbose. I assume everyone on AUKN is not a child and doesn't need to spoken to in an overtly patronising and sugar-coated way.

With respect CG; you do have a habit of speaking to us all in an overly patronising way.

CitizenGeek said:
Are you trying to insist I'm delusional? That I deny that Spyro201, Aion, Chrono etc. have all had negative opinions of the series even though they've expressed them numerous times in this very thread? What on earth are you talking about? I'd like to take your advice and say "I can understand that, but I think you're wrong", but I really don't understand this at all and I'm fairly certain you don't understand it either.
You'd like to think I don't understand since that makes it easier for you to try to poke holes in my argument.

No dice. Yes I understand what I'm saying. I'm not talking about the acknowledgement that differing viewpoints exist. I'm talking about accepting them as differing viewpoints and accepting the fact that they could possibly be valid arguments (even if you disagree) since no series is perfect (which is what you try to insinuate in many cases). Like I said, all you do is contradict and never actually give a solid argument, which is precisely why people argue with you. You're easily agitated when it comes to Evangelion and Final Fantasy.
CitizenGeek said:
But that's just being needlessly verbose. I assume everyone on AUKN is not a child and doesn't need to spoken to in an overtly patronising and sugar-coated way.
CitizenGeek said:
Maxon ... are you even thinking about what you're saying? Because it really doesn't seem so.
I think that second quote speaks for itself.

CitizenGeek said:
Maxon said:
You flat out refuse to accept that alternative viewpoints exist.

Maxon ... are you even thinking about what you're saying? Because it really doesn't seem so.

Are you trying to insist I'm delusional? That I deny that Spyro201, Aion, Chrono etc. have all had negative opinions of the series even though they've expressed them numerous times in this very thread? What on earth are you talking about? I'd like to take your advice and say "I can understand that, but I think you're wrong", but I really don't understand this at all and I'm fairly certain you don't understand it either.

I never said I had a negative opinion on the series as a whole. Just the dub... Next time, why don't you open your eyes wider and read closely next time.

To the topic itself, I despise the hardcore Eva-is-the-best fanboys/girls (Naw, this isn't a troll directed at CG), but I do like the anime itself. It did entertain me and was the main thing I looked foward to on Anime Network, besides Elfen Lied. Which is why I don't mind the dub at all, since this is where I started watching it (So, um, my opinion my be slightly tainted ^^'). I thought it was awesome, as for as dubs go, and the voices weren't bad at all for the character's, especially Rei's/Asaka's/Misato's. But, yes, there were a few that irratated me.

Overall: Good series and storyline but one heck of a shite ending and it's waaay too over-hyped which demotes it slightly.

Chrono Mizaki said:
I never said I had a negative opinion on the series as a whole. Just the dub... Next time, why don't you open your eyes wider and read closely next time.

I don't think I said you had an overall negative opinion of the series, either. Maybe you should take your own advice, and read a little closer next time ;]

Maxon said:
Yes I understand what I'm saying. I'm not talking about the acknowledgement that differing viewpoints exist. I'm talking about accepting them as differing viewpoints and accepting the fact that they could possibly be valid arguments (even if you disagree) since no series is perfect (which is what you try to insinuate in many cases).

Well I certainly don't understand what you're saying. You're just making bizarrely vague statements about things like "acknowledgement", even though you've yet to show me an example of my apparent unwillingness to acknowledge a differing opinion. If I read an opinion that I don't think is a valid argument, then why would I possibly accept that it is a valid argument? And if I think Evangelion is perfect (or as close to perfect as is possible under it's circumstances), what's wrong with that? You're really not making sense. Try harder.

Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
one heck of a shite ending

Are you talking about End of Evangelion here? :O

CitizenGeek said:
Well I certainly don't understand what you're saying. You're just making bizarrely vague statements about things like "acknowledgement", even though you've yet to show me an example of my apparent unwillingness to acknowledge a differing opinion. If I read an opinion that I don't think is a valid argument, then why would I possibly accept that it is a valid argument? And if I think Evangelion is perfect (or as close to perfect as is possible under it's circumstances), what's wrong with that? You're really not making sense. Try harder.

Whats wrong is that you seem to harass anyone who says differently. Im a complete Death Note/Ghost In The Shell fanboy but I dont harass everyone who says they suck, I acknowledge there opinion and go "I can see why you think that, however I'd disagree because...." and leave it at that. Every minor comment you leap on and drag out for way longer than needed. Is it a good or bad dub? Why do you care what someone else thinks so much when at the end of the day its them whos gonna watch it? Is it a good or bad ending? Wow. Someone MAY just have a different opinion to you.

Srsly d00de. Chill out.

Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
one heck of a shite ending

Are you talking about End of Evangelion here? :O[/quote]

I'd love to say I do know what I'm talking about, but I've yet to actually see the ending ^^'.

However, I've had it described to me by at least 6 different people, all of which make it sound terrible. Maybe I shouldn't judge it just yet, but I've yet to see a positive description on the ending on what happens at the end.

Spyro201 said:
Whats wrong is that you seem to harass anyone who says differently

You're actually using the word "harassment". You, and Maxon really have gone into hysteria by this stage, huh? And to think it's you accusing me of over-reacting. Oh, the irony.

Is it a good or bad dub? Why do you care what someone else thinks so much when at the end of the day its them whos gonna watch it? Is it a good or bad ending? Wow. Someone MAY just have a different opinion to you.

It doesn't bother me that some people dislike Evangelion. Not at all. But when someone voices these negative opinions, then I'm going to want to challenge and debate them. If you're too sensitive for a heated debate, then I suggest you just avoid these threads.

Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
However, I've had it described to me by at least 6 different people, all of which make it sound terrible. Maybe I shouldn't judge it just yet, but I've yet to see a positive description on the ending on what happens at the end.

Well, the ending in episode 25 and 26 is pretty bad. There's a lot there to be appreciated, but all of the experimenting by Anno and Gainax makes it hard to work out exactly what's going on, most of the time. I'd doubt that all 6 people didn't like EoE - as far as I know, it's a very popular movie. Also, episode 26 does have one of my all time favourite moments in an anime - The "congratulations!" scene :]

CitizenGeek said:
It doesn't bother me that some people dislike Evangelion. Not at all. But when someone voices these negative opinions, then I'm going to want to challenge and debate them. If you're too sensitive for a heated debate, then I suggest you just avoid these threads.

:lol: You make me laugh y'know. Im fine with heated debates, but you take them too far. Challenging the opinions? LOL thats something of an understatement!! You just overreact man, learn to chill. I do challenge peoples opinion when they say they dislike GITS; but I dont drag it out. Something you do all the time.

CitizenGeek said:
Spyro201 said:
Whats wrong is that you seem to harass anyone who says differently

You're actually using the word "harassment". You, and Maxon really have gone into hysteria by this stage, huh? And to think it's you accusing me of over-reacting. Oh, the irony.
It's not hysteria with me. I'm actually finding this situation rather funny because this argument just keeps going in circles since you're so easily agitated and still replying to this thread. Oh, but feel free to call me hysterical if that makes you feel better. ;]

I have chill pills at the ready should you need them.

CitizenGeek said:
Chrono Mizaki said:

I don't think I said you had an overall negative opinion of the series, either. Maybe you should take your own advice, and read a little closer next time ;]

But you're grouping me with people who 'Just' don't like Eva. I just have to point that out.

Harassment is a harsh word. But needed. You 'drag' debates on for a long time and will challenge the opinions of others, who state it in a fair and minimal manner.

I will state this, but your 'opinions' aren't the reflection of God as you make it out to be. Your opinions isn't the ideology or statement out of a holy book. You are coming to terms with people who have different opinions. There is no such thing as right or wrong opinions.

A debate is fine now and then. But on something as pathetic as your beloved series, in which you try to find out meanings.

It's a marmite series. EVA DOESN'T APPEAL TO EVERYONE. Get that through your thick-headed skull. But oh wait, your skull can't be drilled that easily.

If your head was concrete and we all use drills. We would've broke a lot of them.

But hey... Maybe I have anger issues and are sick and tired of people who think they can ram opinions down people's throat.

And looky here, I broke our respect for each other. I promised myself not to argue with you and I did. Go, Chrono. -_-

Chrono Mizaki said:
If your head was concrete and we all use drills. We would've broke a lot of them.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jVWlrkVZ71s&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jVWlrkVZ71s&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Anybody? No?

/hides eyes from a certain individuals posts

Why the hell are you are bullying the poor guy? It's obvious he's right about him not in any way shape or form violating you (opinion rape) with his Evangelion fanboyism. You need to accept that you're all ganging up on an innocent party because of your own immaturity; grow up.

And, anyway, there's no reason to respect the opinions of others and we should all go on the offensive when someone says something we disagree with. What's the point in having a friendly discussion when you can argue with everyone and make them loathe you? There is none.

I'm now going to make a Final Fantasy VII thread in order to calm down the situation. Stop victimizing the poor guy and come and discuss something else.

Aion said:
...I'm now going to make a Final Fantasy VII thread in order to calm down the situation. Stop victimizing the poor guy and come and discuss something else.
You got me laughing for a while now... and you from all people... :D

Back