Why is it we seem to ignore UK anime releases?

Rui said:
While I disagree with some of your points bakum4tsu, if anyone attacks you for having them you can just send one of the team a PM and we'll come and wallop them ;)

You make perfectly rational arguments for thinking the way you do, and that's never a bad thing. By the way, Crunchyroll streams some titles to Portugal nowadays, so you should nag them to keep supporting your country. It's ridiculous that people are locked out from the legal sources so often when the digital world should be bringing everyone together, not making it impossible for them to buy stuff.

R

Ok thanks i'll check that. :D

Yes its ridiculous that digital stuff arent available to everyone. Im gonna check whats the situation at the moment.

Durial666 said:
I only ever buy UK releases. I have no real interest in importing and running the risk of custom fees and what not. If the UK market were to collapse I would simply walk away from it all and stop buying any anime at all.

That's exactly what I was gonna say :D

Same if they stop doing dubs, I don't do subtitled anime with the exception of Memories, i needed to see that? i just don't like the voices in Japanese. I remember watching 90s anime with their awful dubs (although still love Devil Man & Angel Cop), guess its just to do with how I was first introduced to anime and that feeling isn't there without the dub.

Not trying to incite a sub vs dub argument, just stating my reasons for requiring a dub. Rui, you have worried me with your earlier statement about dubs struggling to sell in he states, where did you find ths info?

Dan said:
Not trying to incite a sub vs dub argument, just stating my reasons for requiring a dub. Rui, you have worried me with your earlier statement about dubs struggling to sell in he states, where did you find ths info?

Ahh because the thread was raised from the dead I said that ages ago. But it's common knowledge that dubs cost drastically more than subs in the US, and while they also increase sales (to people such as yourself) without question, for titles with limited appeal it's finally hit home that it's not practical to dub everything any more as it will just be a crippling financial loss. That why Nozomi, NIS America, Discotek and co aren't dubbing their more niche series (unless an earlier dub was already made), and why Sentai, formerly a very dub-centric publisher in their ADV days, is carefully picking and choosing what they dub these days. Even Funimation was kicking the idea around of trying out sub-only for a few releases a few months ago and they've often said they want to dub everything they release.

On the bright side, Sentai's strategy seems to be working out for them and they're dubbing a decent amount still. They use the legal streaming figures to determine how popular something is, so I guess if you want a show dubbed, even if you hate the Japanese cast yourself you should nag your friends to watch it on Crunchyroll for you :D

R

Rui said:
Dan said:

Ahh because the thread was raised from the dead I said that ages ago. But it's common knowledge that dubs cost drastically more than subs in the US, and while they also increase sales (to people such as yourself) without question, for titles with limited appeal it's finally hit home that it's not practical to dub everything any more as it will just be a crippling financial loss. That why Nozomi, NIS America, Discotek and co aren't dubbing their more niche series (unless an earlier dub was already made), and why Sentai, formerly a very dub-centric publisher in their ADV days, is carefully picking and choosing what they dub these days. Even Funimation was kicking the idea around of trying out sub-only for a few releases a few months ago and they've often said they want to dub everything they release.

On the bright side, Sentai's strategy seems to be working out for them and they're dubbing a decent amount still. They use the legal streaming figures to determine how popular something is, so I guess if you want a show dubbed, even if you hate the Japanese cast yourself you should nag your friends to watch it on Crunchyroll for you :D

R

Phew panic over, unfortunately not got many friends that like anime and the ones that do I can't convince to watch it legally :cry:

Totally with you on not dubbing everything, it's a spot on move from the companies out there.

Back