Why/how did you start reading Manga?

I gravitated from comics too. Always loved them and eventually started dipping into manga. I still love manga but love anime too in different ways, so with manga I tend to focus on buying the series that either won't ever receive animated versions or would be so different animated that I don't mind. I most read manga aimed at older women or men as a result with often rather scrappy art and vague stories.

A lot of the series I do read end up as live action movies somehow as a result. But those rarely suffer from being too close to the source material for it to bother me - a lot more artistic licence goes into the new versions.

Occasionally I buy a series as both anime and manga (like Death Note - Nana and Gintama might join that group if they are released too) because I saw enough to like in both versions to justify watching and reading the same story again.

With anime, to pick up on the tangent that's developing, I get an awful lot of enjoyment out of the voice acting and pacing. I read extremely quickly with manga and belt through tense fight scenes rapidly, or miss the impact of a poignant sentence or act sometimes in my hunger to find out what happens next. Anime sets its own pace, which is sometimes annoying but sometimes pushes it to another level of thrill.

I recently finished watching Paradise Kiss, a series I'd loved when I read the manga quite a long time ago. The manga actually made me very melancholy in some ways all on its own. However, when I watched the anime - despite it not actually being that great an adaptation in some ways - I literally got goosebumps at one scene which hadn't really moved me at all in the original manga.

Following voice acting (Japanese) is a passion of mine too. Obviously this doesn't carry over into manga at all. I just make up voices for all the characters myself with varying degrees of success...

R

ayase said:
I've recently read the novel of Welcome to the NHK so I'm looking forward to seeing what I think of the anime.
I think you will definately enjoy it, however it is much more light hearted than the novel. It changes it from the sad life of one person, to the sad life of several people and their "problems". People knock the GONZO animation, and by no means is it great, but it generally gets the job done. It'd have been better ten-fold if Madhouse done it, the music, if not that noticeable gets the job done, also.

So.. Yeah, There is no way at all that you will hate it. And, some of the extra arcs and characters you'll really like -- It's just incomparable to the novel.

Jayme said:
ayase said:
I've recently read the novel of Welcome to the NHK so I'm looking forward to seeing what I think of the anime.
I think you will definately enjoy it, however it is much more light hearted than the novel. It changes it from the sad life of one person, to the sad life of several people and their "problems". People knock the GONZO animation, and by no means is it great, but it generally gets the job done. It'd have been better ten-fold if Madhouse done it, the music, if not that noticeable gets the job done, also.

So.. Yeah, There is no way at all that you will hate it. And, some of the extra arcs and characters you'll really like -- It's just incomparable to the novel.

The anime is very much worth watching, i think it hits some points that the manga just can't get accross, like how sad and lonely the main characters really are

Battle Vixens volumes 1-4 were on a special offer bundle, so I bought them and liked them. I then started to collect manga's of the anime series' that I loved, such as Ichigo Mashimaro and Gunslinger Girl.

I started off on Western comics (euro stuff like Asterix/Tintin and 2000AD before american superhero comics), went though a few French translations of City Hunter and DBZ lent to me by a high school friend then picked up Manga Mania at about issue 5. Although I've been happy to read Manga in the library or borrowed since then I only really got into buying it heavily a year or two ago when I discovered a few series my wife would like to read and it seemed worth picking them up for her.

I still consider myself a comics reader rather than a manga reader.

I started reading manga with Akira, the same version released by Marvel in colour and everything. Spent a few years after that without hearing a owrd about manga and then a friend introduced me to Oh my goddess and Gunstmith cats. I've been hooked ever since, which is a good 7 years by now...

I had been introduced to the comic Lenore, so I was browsing my local comic store looking for something new to read. They had a Tokyopop stand, I looked at the artwork in all the series and picked out Priest because it looked unusual and dark.

lee_kim said:
I had been introduced to the comic Lenore, so I was browsing my local comic store looking for something new to read. They had a Tokyopop stand, I looked at the artwork in all the series and picked out Priest because it looked unusual and dark.
Oh, I love lenore as well =)
I've got the first three collected volumes, was waiting for a new one, but I might end up picking the individual ones as the collected are taking too long and possibly will never be released =(

What got me into reading Manga was because I used to love watching Amine on TV, then my brother brought some CardCaptor Sakura mangas from Amazon and that was how it all got me started.

As soon as I found out DBZ was based on a comic, I had to read it. Once I found out that Japanese comics solve all of the obvious problems with Western comics (shorter series, weekly chapters, low price) that was me sorted.

I got in to read Manga when someone wanted to borrow my FF7 off me years ago and when I went to his house he was reading Love Hina, so I ask him if I could read it and never ended up giving it him back as he lost my FF7..
At least if got me reading Manga's though ^^

JamesX said:
I got in to read Manga when someone wanted to borrow my FF7 off me years ago and when I went to his house he was reading Love Hina, so I ask him if I could read it and never ended up giving it him back as he lost my FF7..
Sad to hear about your FF VII, it's a really good game. But I'm glad you joined the group of manga loving people =)

On a semi-related note, black label copies of FFVII now sell for an average of £20-30 -- higher than the price Legaia currently goes for, which has dropped. Why (x2)? **** knows.

chaos said:
JamesX said:
Sad to hear about your FF VII, it's a really good game. But I'm glad you joined the group of manga loving people =)

^^ Thanks
Funnily enough your Avatar reminded me what happened to my first Anime DVD Detonator Orgun .. I lent it someone and I borrowed his Akira ultimate collection and I never spoke to him again.. I don't tend to have very much luck with people.. >.>

Back