Which manga would you most like to see made into an anime?

Red XIII

Straw Hat Pirate
As the title suggests, which manga titles do you think are most deserving of an anime adaptation? Or are there any manga titles that have had a lacklustre or incomplete adaptation and could use something that little bit better?

Personally, most of my favourite manga titles have already had an anime adaptation, although I wouldn't say no to a second season of Fruits Basket (provided it wasn't a rush job). Other than that, I'd be intrigued to see how Death Note and Yotsuba& fared in animated form.

Re: Which manga would you most like to see made into an anim

Red XIII said:
Or are there any manga titles that have had a lacklustre or incomplete adaptation and could use something that little bit better?
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind needs a full adaptation. The film was all well and good, but it vastly simplified things and brought it all to an unsatisfactory and run-off-the-mill ending. Needs a lengthy TV series or a film trilogy. Me, and 3/4s of Japan would jump on it quicker than you could say "Hayao Miyazaki is my god".

Put me down for a second season of Fruits Basket and a Yotsubato anime too. I'd have to say that they're not unlikely candidates for anime version anyway.

Nausicaa would certianly make a TV series with the amount of story packed in there, or possibly an OVA (one ep per book of the manga might work well). The only problem would be that it would overshadow the original film which, for all its faults, is still one of Miyazaki's finest moments. The manga and film are pretty separate entities really - An Akira series could be done quite well what with the film's orgins and stucture being similar to its parent manga in the same way (i.e. a shorter version of a story that was incomplete at the time). Overall though I'm not too keen on a remake of a classic so many years afterwards.

I second the idea of Fruits Basket series #2 and Death Note though. I'm sure there are enough extra manga subplots to squeeze another OVA out of Love Hina as well, although that might not necessarily be a good thing (the phrase 'cash-in' springs to mind)!

I'd agree with all of the series mentioned, and would also motion for a second series of Beck, Honey and Clover and X, among others.

I don't know how well Death Note would work as an anime. It's extremely pensive, yes, and many anime are, but it lacks the visual style that marks out many more thoughtful series (such as Mushishi), and so could fall into the trap of being text-heavy without much motion or visuals to complement the plot. I think manga is the perfect format for Death Note, but being shounen jump, I don't doubt an anime will come around at one point.

Tokyo Babylon has a pair of OVAs, but a television series wouldn't go amiss, and I don't think the OVAs did the series much justice. The series has enough ingredients to make a good anime, though, in my opinion.

I'm not a massive manga reader, but I'm going to be predictable and say that I would like to see more of Berserk animated. In these times when "sword and scorcery" fantasy stories are on top of the world, Berserk could work really well.

Paul said:
I'm not a massive manga reader, but I'm going to be predictable and say that I would like to see more of Berserk animated. In these times when "sword and scorcery" fantasy stories are on top of the world, Berserk could work really well.

I strongly second that!! We must have more Berserk!!

FAKE! :D
Okay, I'm a little bias because it's my favourite manga, but the OVA was terrible and didn't do justice to such a superb series. It has such potential and nobody's doing anything about it! :cry:

I would like Gamerz Heaven to be made into an anime for sure, it's a shame that ADV have stopped on volume 2 though ...

But Gamerz Heaven is really one of the only manga series' that i've read through as far as i can, but when i get the time to read more, i'll put down a few more names here :)

id like to see the rest of the loveless manga turned into a anime and also the rest of the gravitation manga including the new manga

I would also love to see a proper FAKE series, not just the OVA.
And also Mars, i'm not sure i can actually believe it hasn't been made into an anime, it's supposed to be one of the most popular shoujo manga series ever, unless i've just somehow missed it, lol.
And a few more Yaoi series please :wink: , oh, and Demon Diary, though i don't know how often Korean manga gets made into anime

Megatokyo would make a good anime with lots of Excel Saga/Nadesico style comedy. And maybe it's just me, but the story seems to be going a little, well, slowly...

Mini-Mariah said:
I would adore to see megatokyo as an anime as Largo needs more movement ^_^ Also I'de love to hear some voices to go with the characters XD
Hmm... as it is one of the few manga series i've read that hasn't been turned into a anime series it was one i had thought of, but it would be very difficult due to the the complexities of the plot (from non-existant to overly complex) and the fact that you would have to work out some way of doing the <japanese speach> with ease. Also due to the vast amount fo DPD's, endgames, anime/gamer/web-meme based references and things like Naze Nani Megatokyo it would be very difficult to capture it all.

hopeful_monster said:
Also due to the vast amount fo DPD's, endgames, anime/gamer/web-meme based references and things like Naze Nani Megatokyo it would be very difficult to capture it all.

Stuff like the Endgames and Shirt Guy Dom strips could be done where other anime would have episode previews (thirty-forty seconds or so just after the credits). The DPDs don't really have any place in the main story, so could just be discarded with little impact.

Mainly it would be a question of how much could reasonably fit into an episode/series, given that the main story isn't developing as fast as most other manga.

Daedalus668 said:
hopeful_monster said:
Also due to the vast amount fo DPD's, endgames, anime/gamer/web-meme based references and things like Naze Nani Megatokyo it would be very difficult to capture it all.

Stuff like the Endgames and Shirt Guy Dom strips could be done where other anime would have episode previews (thirty-forty seconds or so just after the credits). The DPDs don't really have any place in the main story, so could just be discarded with little impact.

Mainly it would be a question of how much could reasonably fit into an episode/series, given that the main story isn't developing as fast as most other manga.
Frankly they could discard SGD strips all together and not harm anything. Of the many there are, some of them are actually funny, but the ones that are actually relevant to Megatokyo are even fewer. I think the Megatokyo omake stuff would go after the main episode (after the "next on megatokyo" bit as well). Unless megatokyo is going to go on for many, many years to come, I could see it fitting into a nice 13 x 30 minute OVA style format. Course, the day this actually happens in the day hell freezes over...

Oh and spoken Japanese in Megatokyo? I think it'd be cool to make it authentic as possible. The English lines are spoken in English, and the Japanese lines spoken in Japanese. You subtitle the English stuff on the Japanese market, and the Japanese stuff on the English. This would work best in English markets because there are few Japanese lines. Would be a refreshing attitude in a Sub Vs Dub debate though :) Plus, it simply evokes the cultural divide themes of the work. The English audience feel "ahh! what these people saying to the characters?!" and the Japanese audience would say "what the hell are these crazy gaijin talking about anyway?"

On the subject of Megatokyo's pacing... it's in a perilous place really. I visit and read Megatokyo like any other webcomic, but that's a problem. Megatokyo was very much a webcomic once, a gag a strip kind of thing. Now, it's an american manga. Imagine reading any of the manga on your shelf, by reading a page every monday, wednesday and friday. That'd be pretty damn slow paced as well :)

Slightly OT, but anyone noticed that ctrl+alt+del is getting animated as part of a premium service? I was very skeptical and then I saw the trailer and... well it actually looks like it could be quite good. It's Hardly a Megatokyo quality webcomic IMO, but nevertheless.

kupoartist said:
Frankly they could discard SGD strips all together and not harm anything. Of the many there are, some of them are actually funny, but the ones that are actually relevant to Megatokyo are even fewer.

To be honest, I'd only watch this series if Shirt Guy Dom was nowhere in sight for the whole anime. ;) I also tend to prefer the Piro-based, more romantic centred aspects of Megatokyo to the Largo lack-of-sanity. If it was ever turned into an anime, unlikely as it may seem, structuring seems like a major difficulty to overcome. And, going at anime pace, I guess all that has been written so far would take up a few episodes, although admittedly it also feels like we have hardly got into the real meat of the story yet.

I think the key part of Megatokyo which makes it something more than the average webcomic is that it is clearly American and yet parts of it wouldn't seem out of place with Japanese manga.

I also noticed the Ctrl+Alt+Del animation, althought I haven't checked it out yet; I've hardly read the comic since the Xbox robot went berserk, out of some sort of lessening of interest.

Back