Which anime streaming services are you subscribed to?

Which anime streaming services are you subscribed to?

• Total voters

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Only a few months ago, I became a paying member at Crunchyroll. I'm now thinking of signing up for Amazon's anime content too, since I'm keen to watch Scum's Wish, but I'm also mindful of Netflix, given Masaaki Yuasa is making Devilman for them soon. It starts to add up.

I guess my question is, how many (and which services) are you signed up to? I suppose if we're not already at this point, everyone will soon start switching their subscriptions based on their preferences for the seasonal offerings.

My brother pays for Crunchyroll for the house. My mother pays for Netflix for the house. My brother and I split the cost of Amazon Prime between us for the shipping benefits, so the streaming is just a bonus. If Amazon launched Anime Strike over here, I'd happily subscribe to it on top of Amazon Prime.

I only have Crunchyroll, if an anime ain't on there and not out on BD then I'm probably not watching it until it's on one of those. I don't have massive amounts of time to watch 10 shows a season (well, I have time I just do other things with it....) so missing out on a show or 2 is a non-issue for me tbh.

I'm subscribed to Crunchyroll and that's literally it. They offer the best service and the most anime as well as a good amount of manga, so I'm always happiest giving them my money.

@Teapot is subbed to Netflix for the household so I have access to that through him but I very rarely use it. If they aren't simulcasting anime then I don't have much interest in watching it out of the season and in a large chunk, discussion is usually long past and my interest has moved on to new shows that are being simulcast.

I also have access to Amazon because again Teapot pays for prime, but that's not at all for their anime service and in fact I have a lot of trouble with their player so I don't use them for video streaming.

I think this basically just sums up my thoughts in general though. I pay for Crunchyroll because they are my anime service and I'm not really interested in subscribing to multiple services for the same content. I wouldn't sub to more than one music service, for example, or multiple streaming services in general away from anime. Anime really needs to be at the point where it's split across multiple services and people like me can just choose the one they actively want to use. ^^;

Last edited:
I'm subscribed to Crunchyroll and that's literally it. They offer the best service
This is entirely subjective though. Amazon offer significantly better quality video for their simulcasts, and Crunchyroll constantly make it clear the UK is a low priority.

This is entirely subjective though. Amazon offer significantly better quality video for their simulcasts, and Crunchyroll constantly make it clear the UK is a low priority.

I'm happy to agree it's subjective.

For me CR have a better player than Amazon, it just works better on my connection so I find them the best overall that's all. :)

I'm subscribed to all 3 you mention, though two of them are for things other than anime really.

I subbed to CR in January and haven't looked back really. Don't know how i coped without it really!

Amazon has been cancelled though as im sick of their customer service reps and have had several issues with them this year. Netflix originals beat out amazon prime series generally imo anyway.

Netflix is primarily for movies, there's always something on there I'd watch.

What's really woken me up to all of these services is their apps across various devices. It's so easy now to just install the CR app on your phone and then Chromecast it to a TV. My anime viewing habits have completely shifted from things like fansubs, if just because it's so much easier to watch anime with services like CR. No faffing around with codecs, subtitles, etc.

I'd rather get Funimation Now than any of the others

For their dubs?

I'm subbed to Crunchyroll and Netflix. I barely used Netflix though, so I am thinking of swapping for an Amazon Video instead, at least until the next season of Black Mirror comes on. I stream all my anime via Chromecast though, something Amazon Video does not support, and with my PS4 not picking up 5G band wi-fi, the connection is slow as hell, I can barely stream music off it, never mind HD Video, so I'd have to cast tabs from my PC or invest in a Fire Stick.

My anime viewing habits have completely shifted from things like fansubs, if just because it's so much easier to watch anime with services like CR. No faffing around with codecs, subtitles, etc.
I still watch a decent portion of my anime through fansubs, but even that has gotten easier nowadays thanks to Plex.

Presently, I've subscribed to all of the above (Crunchyroll, Netflix, and Amazon) and FunimationNow.

Crunchyroll tends to be my major source for anime streaming but I like having Funimation around as a backup service. Quite a few of the catalogue series that I've been wanting to watch are still exclusive to Funi.

Anime is mostly a pleasant extra for my Netflix sub. Despite predominantly subbing to Netflix for western TV and movies, I enjoy having the service available for the odd anime series. It's great for rewatches, too. CR might be a superior anime service but, honestly, Netflix has a notably better player (and don't even get me started on the mess that is FuniNow's player).

Finally, I've yet to watch a single thing through Amazon Video - anime or otherwise. I wouldn't have bothered with it at all if it wasn't bundled in with Amazon Prime in Canada. That may finally change due to this season's anime grabs but only time will tell.

Last edited:
What's really woken me up to all of these services is their apps across various devices. It's so easy now to just install the CR app on your phone and then Chromecast it to a TV. My anime viewing habits have completely shifted from things like fansubs, if just because it's so much easier to watch anime with services like CR. No faffing around with codecs, subtitles, etc.

For their dubs?
Yeah I only watch shows in subbed if a Dub isn't available

Dubs notwithstanding, I still feel CR offers the best all-around package for anime in terms of their catalogue, app support and track record with getting shows in the UK. I'm fortunate enough to have access to Prime Video at present, but Amazon would need to be doing serious damage before I'd consider an additional subscription/switching out for Strike, assuming that will inevitably come here at some point.

Crunchyroll's service is the best thing to happen to anime for me since forever. I don't get mad about them treating the UK as a lesser region because we are a lesser region and I don't follow Miles on Twitter so I don't ever feel the need to get wound up about his cluelessness. I believe in their soft push for 'worldwide outside Asia' to be the default so that I can watch my Crunchyroll stuff in any number of languages wherever I happen to be travelling. I want in on that vision of the future.

I use Daisuki when I can't stand waiting a week for a cliffhanger ending to catch up on Crunchyroll or when they get exclusives, but I hate their compatibility with my devices and view it as a last resort.

No interest in Netflix since I'm exclusively into anime and don't wan't their controlling attitudes towards binge-watch versions rather than simulcasts to dictate how I view my anime. Their love of region locking is also depressing. Amazon are actively annoying me with their haphazard approach but if they can come up with a business plan which makes sense for someone who doesn't want all of the other stuff and doesn't want to spend enough to buy a BD set just to stream Kuzu No Honkai on a dodgy player, I'll accept them one day.

If it's a show I really, really want to watch and it's not available, I 'take a flight to Japan' and pay for a Japanese stream. This is rare. I have a Premium NicoNico account but I should probably close it at some point since they region lock everything worthwhile these days.

R

I'm subscribed to CR only at the moment, though my boyfriend has left his Amazon Prime account signed in on my PS3 so I can use that if I want to. Flatmate and I are going to get a Netflix account for the house, but the anime on that will be an added bonus. I did away with my Funi subscription when they started to focus on dubs as I don't care for dubs.

Crunchyroll and Netflix. I'm glad that they both have apps on PS4 which is my main source of streaming anime. I love Crunchyroll's selection of anime and find the price is very good value. The anime on Netflix is bonus as there other stuff I like watching on there.

Back