Where to Legally Watch Anime Online in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Anime Available to Stream Legally in the UK & Anime on U

List has been updated:
The list of available applications for console owners with legal anime (and legal Japanese, Chinese, Taiwanese & Korean Drama if mentioned) to stream:
Animax UK - PlayStation 3 ~ New simulcasts are free for 2 weeks, Premium includes access to existing catalog of shows and movies with bilingual options.
Crunchyroll - Xbox 360, Android, iOS ~ Free but limited to 360p resolution, Premium includes HD 1080p and new simulcasts after 1 hour from broadcast.
Netflix - PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 ~ Requires Premium membership, A lot of anime have been removed from the service

New section I've added on page 1, with the list of apps that can allow users to watch anime on their consoles or phones.

Animax UK

Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail now available to stream on Animax, with both the Funimation dub and the original Japanese dub available. Requires premium membership.

TV Shows - Japanese with English Subtitles ~ Set the sorting to English Subtitled and it will filter the list:
Black Lagoon - Episodes 1-12 (Season 1) & 13-24 (Season 2) & 25-29 (Season 3/OVA)

TV Shows - English ~ Set the sorting to English Dubbed and it will filter the list:
Black Lagoon - Episodes 1-12 (Season 1) & 13-24 (Season 2) & 25-29 (Season 3/OVA)

The Crunchyroll PS3 app is great and works in the UK without any tinkering too, so long as you don't mind setting up a (free) US PSN account the first time you download it.

R

Rui said:
The Crunchyroll PS3 app is great and works in the UK without any tinkering too, so long as you don't mind setting up a (free) US PSN account the first time you download it.

R

I did consider making a US account since nowadays it's getting harder to buy PAL PS3 games as Amazon is selling NTSC US for some titles (Mass Effect trilogy for instance).

Rui said:

R
I second what Rui says. Finally got round to doing just that a couple of weeks ago, works great (watching Seitokai Yakuindomo right now!) . It freezes up when I load the big alphabetical list of shows, or when I try and browse something long running like Bleach though.

NormanicGrav said:
I did consider making a US account since nowadays it's getting harder to buy PAL PS3 games as Amazon is selling NTSC US for some titles (Mass Effect trilogy for instance).
Ah yeah, The Mass Effect trilogy on PS3 seemed to go out of print really quickly for some reason. Guess they didnt want to do a big print run of the ME1 disc or something.

I loaded the ITV Player on a tablet the other day (just because I needed something to run the battery down a bit) and was surprised to find Digimon Fusion on there.
I will confess that I have lost track of exactly what Digimon that is and where it fits in...

Ath said:
It freezes up when I load the big alphabetical list of shows, or when I try and browse something long running like Bleach though.
The CR PS3 app has always consistently locked up my console if I try to browse the episode list for a series with more than one season. To get to the second season you have to forward through the last episode of the first, and the only way to watch a specific episode from a later season is to put it in your queue and watch part of the episode on a PC so it makes that the current one.
When I tried reporting it, despite other people reporting the same thing, I was told it was because I was British so shouldn't be running it.

I noticed that Animax have a PS3 app (I'm sure it was reported here but I must've missed it), which made me sit up and pay attention since they have decent amount of stuff I'm interested in watching, and dubbed versions of back catalogue titles too.

So can anyone give me the lowdown on Animax? I remember reading some less than complimentary things (though not the specifics) in a recent thread that I helpfully can't find, including something about them taking payment upon signing up for a free trial.

Oh, and thanks to Grav for his work in keeping this thread (and others) up to date. Much appreciated.

Rui said:

R

Does that work on the PS4 do you know, my PS3 is long dead but at some point this year I aim to get a PS4?

The FUNimation streams were still there, up to the other day at the very least.

I've updated the console streaming by adding Crunchyroll for PS3 availability.

The reason I've added this is because it technically works by downloading the app with a US account then playing the app with a UK one (as others have mentioned a few posts before). And also because according to UKAN, Animax have exclusive rights to UK anime streaming for PS3 which means any other anime app won't be happening at all. Plus, we all like our Crunchyroll.

Wow, if that's true then it's just one more reason for me to despise Animax.

R

NormanicGrav said:
I've updated the console streaming by adding Crunchyroll for PS3 availability.

The reason I've added this is because it technically works by downloading the app with a US account then playing the app with a UK one (as others have mentioned a few posts before). And also because according to UKAN, Animax have exclusive rights to UK anime streaming for PS3 which means any other anime app won't be happening at all. Plus, we all like our Crunchyroll.
I watched part of that video and I honestly can't see why anyone would want to use that service. I also find it pretty ridiculous that should you for whatever reason choose to pay a monthly fee you still get BS ads.
It looks far less appealing than CR, and it'd take a lot for me to even consider using CR in the first place.

Animax should just go die in a fire. They add nothing to the UK market whatsoever. All they do is nick a few good series from CR every season. I've decided to stop using their simulcasts in the hope that they'll just go away. It takes a lot to make me not use a legal service over illegal ones.

st_owly said:
Animax should just go die in a fire. They add nothing to the UK market whatsoever. All they do is nick a few good series from CR every season. I've decided to stop using their simulcasts in the hope that they'll just go away. It takes a lot to make me not use a legal service over illegal ones.

My issue with Animax (my main one, at least) is how all their simulcasts are delayed and delivered to us days after it airs in Japan. It's the reason I avoid using Animax.

The video pretty much explains that the reason for this is because of Sony owning Animax, so surely we should be aiming our hate towards Sony? I wonder if this will apply to the PlayStation Network system as a whole, preventing us from getting the future PS Vita Crunchyroll app?

There are two companies to be annoyed with for two different reasons Sony if the "Animax blocking Crunchyroll app" thing it true, and Kaze for "taking titles from Crunchyroll" since they are the licensee, not Animax.

The whole streaming thing is a gigantic fustercluck. How many companies are EXCLUSIVE UK rights split between now? How many companies are desperately grabbing at a slice of what must be a fairly insubstantial pie? In the end both the customer and the anime industry loses out because it's arguably not worth subscribing to any single one of these services (and I doubt there are many subscribing to more than one).

Companies with UK streaming rights include Crunchyroll, Kaze (VME), Anime Limited, FUNimation, Nozomi, AEsir/Valkyrie Media/Sentai, Manga and Gong. Only CR, Kaze, AL and FUNi have ever tried simulcasting here (unless you include Manga's abortive attempt at FMA:B) and FUNi has been out of that game since they stopped uploading complete episodes to YouTube.

Shiroi Hane said:
There are two companies to be annoyed with for two different reasons Sony if the "Animax blocking Crunchyroll app" thing it true, and Kaze for "taking titles from Crunchyroll" since they are the licensee, not Animax.

+1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back