What's your internet speed?

4546322397.png

Pretty much what I'm paying for.

Just done my mobile Ping 74, Down: 54.04 Up:20.69 on 3.

I'm on 300 Mbps down, on a good day translates as about 295 usable (I often pull 20-30 megabytes a second from Steam), 30Mbps up :)
Pings usually around 10ms.
FTTP :)

Only downside is my router is OK, but not amazing, and I need to reboot it about once a week or speed drops off. ISP seems to think a router that doesn't terminate connections properly is acceptable, they actually told me they recommend rebooting frequently. ¬_¬

All in fairness the new hub has only been plugged in for an hour so I'm hoping the speed will improve come the end of the week once it's bedded in

Might even get to the dizzying heights of 5 mbps!

(although a new cabinet has appeared at the top of the road next to the old cabinet, so not sure if BT are just replacing the old cabinet like for like or are they going to make it faster)

Kite said:
(although a new cabinet has appeared at the top of the road next to the old cabinet, so not sure if BT are just replacing the old cabinet like for like or are they going to make it faster)
If the two cabinets don't look alike, and your cabinet isn't already fibre enabled then it's possible that is what is happening (the fibre cabinet needs to be within 100 meters or so of the cabinet, and most fibre cabinets are situated right next to the cabinet it is connected to).

It's been a year since I last did this so here we go.

That's pretty much as good as my 3G internet will ever get, but it's still much better than my neighbours 1.5 Mb/s copper wire landlines. The speed comes at the cost of having a data limit though.
Dunno why it thinks I'm near London though, very strange.

BanzaiJedi said:
Dunno why it thinks I'm near London though, very strange.
That's the server it used to conduct the test and not your location (it also states that you're less then 50 miles away from the testing server, but that can be inaccurate since speedtest doesn't use GPS to determine your actual location).

demonix said:
Kite said:
If the two cabinets don't look alike, and your cabinet isn't already fibre enabled then it's possible that is what is happening (the fibre cabinet needs to be within 100 meters or so of the cabinet, and most fibre cabinets are situated right next to the cabinet it is connected to).

The old cabinet is an ancient (mid 80s) green cabinet with two doors which opens like a cabinet, so at a guess it's replacing like for like, or upgrading it to a better ASDL (as BT says we should be getting upto 16 mbsl), but still it's drifting under 2 :(

Kite said:
demonix said:
Kite said:

The old cabinet is an ancient (mid 80s) green cabinet with two doors which opens like a cabinet, so at a guess it's replacing like for like, or upgrading it to a better ASDL (as BT says we should be getting upto 16 mbsl), but still it's drifting under 2 :(
I'd highly doubt that they'd replace a cabinet for that reason (if you go back to my old sky speed test results, that would have been on an old cabinet) since it's normally the cable that determines the speed that you get, and it's possible that they're installing a fibre cabinet so that you can get even faster speeds (you can check if there's an availability date for fibre, and there's a site that shows all the cabinet types including fibre cabinets).

After realizing I hadn't shared any of my results since my upgraded router and all I did some tests to share.

► New results
4864233970.png
4864239156.png

4864240989.png
4864250663.png

► Old results
3579620260.png
3579628006.png

► Comments
Well, technically I am supposed to get 200 Mbps down and 12 Mbps up ...
The up isn't that far off but the down is like way off via Speedtest.
Interestingly enough via Steam I download at 104~ Mbps, which is quite far above the results by Speedtest.
I also know I have downloaded from another place at like 120 Mbps before both in the past week, so yea ...

Which goes to show your results might not be as right as you think they are. Servers, woo.

Anyway. I am using the 5 GHz instead of the 2.4 GHz wifi for who wishes to have a better insight into those results.

4865885103.png

This, my noble friends, is what one alleged gigabit per second becomes in a shared household whilst using an adapter nearly a decade in age.

Back