What's your favourite Japanese (non animated) film?

fowler

Brigade Leader
I know this is like the fav film question on your profile lol but this is for favourite Japanese film, mine is maybe Ju On-the Grudge (cant wait for 2nd one to reach english shores ^^).
Also what do you all think about Japanese films? They seem to be growing more and more popular, as more and more are being released/remade for the rest of the world. The films usually have a different effect than English films (I'm speaking from my own experience here) as they are different from our usual films (sorry I cant really explain it its just so hard =P). The Grudge (I saw the remake of it with Sarah Michelle Gellar in first) was genuinely frightening, and I am not scared easily lol, and Grave of the Fireflies was one of the saddest, depressing, yet brilliant films I have ever seen. Anyway sorry to go on, I just wonder what you think :)

I have waaayyy 2 many to name off hand to off the top of my head wouled probs have to say LOTR, Road trip, Priceilla queen of the desert and love actully =x

Edit- EEks read tital wrong ^^;;;;

I love Battle Royale and Zatochi. I've got Seven Samuari on DVD, but haven't got around to watching it yet! Japanese films are great! Especially these days when Hollywood seems to be churning out remakes and stolen ideas.

I've been meaning to get ahold of Lady Snowblood, as it's supposed to be the inspiration behind Kill Bill. Any one seen it? This term I'll be studying Black and Asain cinema, so I'll get to see more Japanese films (not to mention write about anime!) Last year we watched some of Ozu's work, but I didn't see what all the fuss was about. Sure, it was probably ground breaking for it's time and has some 'intresting' (I HATE that word with a passion) techniques... But each to their own.

I'll shut up now! :p

Seven Samurai ranks up there, even if it is 3 hours long & b/w. Battle Royale probably wins it for me. Also like Ju-On The Grinch (Green fuzzy ghost kills all who enter his house, then steals their Christmas presents.), Ring 1, 2, & 0 (If your seven days finish inside a cinema, do you get Sada-zilla?), & Audition (Lonely guy auditions potential wives, & a quiet kinky sadistic girl wins. You'll never look at piano wire in the same way again.).

where's my cow? said:
I've been meaning to get ahold of Lady Snowblood, as it's supposed to be the inspiration behind Kill Bill. Any one seen it?

I managed to track down a copy of the original, along with the sequel, last year. It's definitely worth picking up if you can find it, although I wouldn't dwell on the Kill Bill comparisons too much as both movies are, more or less, completely dissimilar. The music toward the end of Kill Bill -- when Lucy Liu gets her barnet sliced off-- was lifted directly from the Lady Snowblood soundtrack and that's why you hear it mentioned alongside Tarantino's opus so often.

Back on topic, my favourite -- or at least one of them --Japanese movie would have to be Ichi The Killer, a surreal slice of comic book pulp that first alerted me to the twisted talents of director, Takashi Miike. I'm also a big, big Shinya Tsukamoto fan, whose big screen debut, Tetsuo: The Iron Man is one of the the most disturbing pieces of cinema I've ever clapped eyes on. Wild Zero, Junk, Versus, Zatoichi, Hana Bi, Dead Or Alive 2 and the recent Gamera trilogy are also hovering near the top of my list.

... umm i guess i'm gonna go with the ol faithful soooo predictable, battle royale. it's not that it's the most mainstream, it's just a really good movie but the second one was complete... £%$^.... it's was sooo dril

also love lady snow blood and i'm dyin to see dragonhead!!!

Good to see I'm not the only BR fan around here. ;)

I'm also a big fan of the original Ringu - don't get me wrong, the remake isn't half bad but it doesn't measure up to the subtle and atmospheric creepiness of the original. Princess Blade is pretty cool too, and if you're into all-out weirdness you can't beat the Happiness of the Katakuris (nor would you want to). I'll definitely check out Audition sometime soon though.

Overall I haven't seen nearly as many Japanese films as I'd like - the Twilight Samurai is on TV now but I'm too tired to stay up and watch it. :(

I do rate Rashomon very highly, but in terms of favourites it will probably be either Hana Bi or Kikujiro by Takeshi Kitano. Wonderful films.

The Twilight Samurai, without a dount, is the most beautiful, non-animated film I've ever come across from Japan. Those of you have seen it should know what I'm talking about - and those of you who haven't really should get hold of it.

Neon-Noir said:
The Twilight Samurai, without a dount, is the most beautiful, non-animated film I've ever come across from Japan. Those of you have seen it should know what I'm talking about - and those of you who haven't really should get hold of it.
There are some moments of humour in there as well - anyone who has a senile (grand)parent will understand what the poor guy goes through.

"Do you recognise me?"

"No. What family are you from?"

"I'm your SON!"

Sad and touching, but still funny.

Hmmm it's a surprise to see there have been no martial arts films yet such as the legendary Bruce Lee films etc, and other films such as crouching tiger, hidden dragon and Hero (too be honest I didn't really like it =P) and House of Flying Daggers. Apart from that some good choices so far =D

EDIT: Just realised what I put, the films I mentioned weren't Japanese, they are Hong Kong films, d'oh >.>

Ok here goes.
Kikujiro, Casshern, Hana-bi, Sonatine, Zatoichi, Battle Royale, Audition, Ichi The Killer, Versus, Azumi, Ran and Kagemusha.

Hmmm it's a surprise to see there have been no martial arts films yet such as the legendary Bruce Lee films etc, and other films such as crouching tiger, hidden dragon and Hero (too be honest I didn't really like it =P) and House of Flying Daggers. Apart from that some good choices so far =D

Well not really seeing as you made the thread about Japanese movies and all those you listed there are chinese.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention Casshern. I wasn't too impressed with it when I first saw it but I've promised myself that I'll watch it again and give it another chance.

My favourite is probably Lady Snowblood or Zatoichi meets the onearmed swordsman. Stayed up to watch Twighlight Samurai though paid for it in the morning, good film though

So many to choose from the best I can do is give you my top five

Battle Royale
Initial D
The Bodyguard
Ong-Bak
Old Boy

Jackie Chan (special sub-section lol)
Armour of God
Police Story
Lightning (I think this is what its called, he's a race driver)

mcicy said:

Battle Royale
Initial D
The Bodyguard
Ong-Bak
Old Boy

Armour of God
Police Story

Er... most of what you just wrote are films from Korea and China (HK).

And pictures are not allowed in signatures by the way.

Chris said:
mcicy said:

Battle Royale
Initial D
The Bodyguard
Ong-Bak
Old Boy

Armour of God
Police Story

Er... most of what you just wrote are films from Korea and China (HK).

And pictures are not allowed in signatures by the way.

Sorry just know the titles don't have a big book of film developement locations sat next to me...... :oops:

I still hold up that they are my favourite films..... although yes I did miss out the japanese bit of the title but come on there non-animated so I got most of th title right :oops: :wink:

Hi, along with most of the above some of my favs are:

Whiteout (a die hard clone, terrorists take over a dam/power station in the snow covered mountains) Azumi 1 and 2 , Gonin 2, Ichi the Killer, Memento Mori, Versus, One Missed Call, Kairo (aka Pulse),

Back