What's Worth Watching This Spring? Spring 2021 Preview

Sarah

Staff
AUKN Staff
Spring 2021 has brought a wealth of new series to watch as well as the return of several favourites. Which shows are worth watching? The writers at Anime UK News have plenty of recommendations to get you started!

Continue reading...

Plenty of good recommendations there, but some that missed out:

Super Cub
May seem like it'll be a CGDCT show with motorbikes, but so far it's been a super chill show about a, very, quite girl who decides to by a motorbike and is slowly coming out of her shell with the connections she's made because of that decision.

NOMAD: Megalo Box 2
My pick for best sequel is this show which has upped its game from the formulaic underdog story of the first, to a story about lose, drug abuse, immigration and family that really packs a punch 😉 The fights seem to be a bit more visceral as well and the music has an interesting Latin twist.

Jouran: The Princess of Snow and Blood
An action packed show about a woman seeking revenge in an alternate 1930s Japan. She so happens to wield a sword and have supernatural powers! There's a bit of political intrigue and plenty of shady characters on both sides.

Couple others I'm enjoying, but can't really be top recommendations because of the art and animation being a bit lacking. Farewell, My Dear Cramer has some fun characters, but will probably follow the tried and tested sports show formula and a lot of the action is done in slow-mode to show off the skill, but probably also to make it easier to animate. And Cestvs: The Roman Fighter is about a boy slave who must fight, literally, to win his freedom. Seems like an interesting story, but they've gone for the weird mix of 2D and 3D, sometimes in the same shot which is just jarring.

Last edited:
@Ditchdigger: Great to have some more recommendations! (I watched the first episode of Cestus as I had hopes for it but didn't feel inspired to carry on, partly because of the weird look you mention above but also the way they were telling the story. I'd be interested to hear if it improves...)

Another recommendation for Super Cub. Only watched 2 episodes so far (about to watch the third) but it's a great series debut for director Toshiro Fujii who previously directed 18if episode 3. Quite a reserved production but the direction is so good you'd forget this is a Honda commercial.

Would also recommend I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level (or Slime 300 for short). Slime 300 is a more comedic isekai series with a focus on living an easy life rather than the usual adventuring commonly seen in the genre. It's always great to see main characters voiced by Aoi Yuki and Azusa is no exception. A great fit for the character.

Definitely recommend both to Laid-Back Camp enjoyers.

Much as it’s fair to say Super Cub is slow paced and sombre, I think it’s worth adding that it is also surprisingly life-affirming, in its own way. I’m not sure how it’ll play out in the long run, but so far, it’s been very much about the small triumphs that, while very ordinary if you tried to describe them, seem to be slowly opening up the main character’s life ahead of her. If it weren’t for Odd Taxi, it would be my favourite thing this season.

There's me adding Super Cub to my list, I love Laid-Back Camp.

I'd personally add Tokyo Revengers & Pretty Boy Detective Club BUT saying that, I like the diversity in these articles. They always cover a wide range of genres & that's appreciated.

Back