What would make a good dub...?

CitizenGeek said:
J_C_X said:
I'd also like to see the UK do a bit more dubs especially with anime set in the UK or some alternate world UK :wink:

Usually, UK produced dubs aren't all that good (New Dominion Tank police springs to mind). However, I'm sure it could work. The cast of the videogame Dragon Quest VIII were astonishingly good - so, obviously, the voicing talent is there.

Yes, that's what my basis was on.

I don't actually like voice acting in my JRPGs but DQVIII is an exception. It was actually criticised in America for too much British slang, but the acting was top notch.

I actually think SquareEnix are considering the UK first for the English localisation now, so the Japanese were impressed.

J_C_X said:
I'd like to see some more established actors in anime roles.

I know wage demands are problem but with Afro Samurai (you might not be a fan but you have to admit the voice acting is top notch) you get the idea that is a way foward. This isn't a dig at existing VA's.

You have wage demands, as you say. Also, anime dubbing isn't as easy as people give it credit for. Not everybody can do it. According to someone in the industry (I can't remember who), higher profile actors have tried but failed. They wouldn't say who for obvious reasons, but there you have it.

I do wonder about Afro Samurai, whether Samuel L. Jackson's stuff was pre-lay or dubbed, since it was created for a US market primarily. (Pre-lay: recording voice, then matching the lips to the voice. Dubbing is dubbing over the lip flaps)

J_C_X said:
CitizenGeek said:
J_C_X said:
I'd also like to see the UK do a bit more dubs especially with anime set in the UK or some alternate world UK :wink:

Usually, UK produced dubs aren't all that good (New Dominion Tank police springs to mind). However, I'm sure it could work. The cast of the videogame Dragon Quest VIII were astonishingly good - so, obviously, the voicing talent is there.

I don't actually like voice acting in my JRPGs but DQVIII is an exception. It was actually criticised in America for too much British slang, but the acting was top notch.

I actually think SquareEnix are considering the UK first for the English localisation now, so the Japanese were impressed.

LOL

That's the best joke I've heard all day, DQVIII having a very good dub cast. I thought Rogue Galaxy's dub sucks, but compared to DQVIII, The dub is excellent >.>

But I'm with you on the fact that Britain needs to dub some anime (and Beez are interested in doing that). But so far, Britain doesn't seem interested, and as long as Anime is before the mainstream line, they will never be interested.

Chrono Mizaki said:
J_C_X said:
CitizenGeek said:
J_C_X said:

LOL

That's the best joke I've heard all day, DQVIII having a very good dub cast. I thought Rogue Galaxy's dub sucks, but compared to DQVIII, The dub is excellent >.>

Compared to the god awful voices in FFX and FFXII, which I play with the sound turn down. I liked the other touches in DQ like the Monty Python and Only Fools and Horses refrences, as much as I liked the little Scottish guys in FFIX and Zappa in Chrono Cross.

Chrono Mizaki said:
LOL

Whoa, Chrono, your opinions are actually insane. Everytime I see a post from you, I just know that you'll have something absurd to say. I actually cringed when I read that :/

DQVIII's voicing cast is fantastic by game and anime standards. Actually, I like most of Square Enix's dubbing. FFX, X-2 and (especially) XII were all great.

CitizenGeek said:
Chrono Mizaki said:
LOL

Whoa, Chrono, your opinions are actually insane. Everytime I see a post from you, I just know that you'll have something absurd to say. I actually cringed when I read that :/

DQVIII's voicing cast is fantastic by game and anime standards. Actually, I like most of Square Enix's dubbing. FFX, X-2 and (especially) XII were all great.

Citizengeek, you know that by now, I will always reply with a negative thought.. Doesn't necessarily means I'm downright evil, and a obnoxious forumer. You just have to deal with my insane opinions, but inside, I'm an alright guy =D
Oh lawd... not another FF Brawl...

-facepalm--

I'm not a FF fan anymore, so I won't continue this pointless discussion.

Chrono Mizaki said:
Citizengeek, you know that by now, I will always reply with a negative thought.. Doesn't necessarily means I'm downright evil, and a obnoxious forumer. You just have to deal with my insane opinions, but inside, I'm an alright guy =D

No, you don't. You're just trying to build up some kind of persona of being a cynical guy. It's like you want to 'famous' for your negativity, but it always just seems like you're being cynical for the sake of being cynical and it's really starting to grate.

Besides, the position of negative cynic is taken already, isn't that right, Lupus Inu? :p

J_C_X said:
I'd like to see some more established actors in anime roles.

I know wage demands are problem but with Afro Samurai (you might not be a fan but you have to admit the voice acting is top notch) you get the idea that is a way foward. This isn't a dig at existing VA's.

In terms of using more established actors it's the same as anything that it depends on the individual. If Patrick Stuart's in a dub then you know you're in safe hands (I think he was in Nausicaa and Steamboy), but Kiefer Sutherland in the Armitage movie is much worse than the guy they used for the OVA series. Whoever's best for the role gets my vote more how famous they are.

And +1 vote of more UK dubs. I like that sort of thing. (early Manga UK dubs ftw! :twisted: )

they should use english speaking japanese to do it!

I found this article doing a google search, i had to regester and post this... the dubbing is always terrible (appart from 'Naussica and the valley of the wind' anyway.. let me get to the point...the only way they can make it better is to use japanese actors who speak good english to do the voice acting. that way you get a more authentic feel to it. see what i mean?? >_^ cus japanese tend to make sounds like uughh uhg ahh ugg urrar im sure you know what i mean lol

CitizenGeek said:
Chrono Mizaki said:

No, you don't. You're just trying to build up some kind of persona of being a cynical guy. It's like you want to 'famous' for your negativity, but it always just seems like you're being cynical for the sake of being cynical and it's really starting to grate.

Besides, the position of negative cynic is taken already, isn't that right, Lupus Inu? :p

Trying to be famous is a big mistake that anyone can do. Am I trying to be famous, no... The reason I act like this is so that everyone can stay away from trying to contact me >.>

Buuut, if it's annoying you that much (and I guess other people are getting annoyed), then I'll cut down the negativity. Hows that for service?

I ain't making this any better for myself, am I?
I think I'm evolving back to my immature state -_- And I just noticed that now

Re: they should use english speaking japanese to do it!

I found this article doing a google search, i had to regester and post this... the dubbing is always terrible (appart from 'Naussica and the valley of the wind' anyway.. let me get to the point...the only way they can make it better is to use japanese actors who speak good english to do the voice acting. that way you get a more authentic feel to it. see what i mean?? >_^ cus japanese tend to make sounds like uughh uhg ahh ugg urrar im sure you know what i mean lol

So you're implying English dubbing is terrible and the Japanese original is better and we should make the Japanese seiyuu's learn English because they sound more original but in the Japanese version they all sound like cavemen...?

BRILLIANT!!!

Re: they should use english speaking japanese to do it!

Lupus Inu said:
So you're implying English dubbing is terrible and the Japanese original is better and we should make the Japanese seiyuu's learn English because they sound more original but in the Japanese version they all sound like cavemen...?
Don't you mean ENGRISH, It would be frickin' awful. Just awful.

Also, why in hell would the Japanese companies pay their Seiyuu's to act for something that'll never get used in Japan. Now, If you want the English companies to pay the seiyuu's your mad, That would cost so much dollar. You have actually had one of the worse ideas I've ever heard. =/

maybe your right, it might sound bad come to think of it, i suppose i agree with someone esle on here that said; 'it's about more emotional input to the character'. i suppose it will just be the feature movies that get the funds to hire the better actors

hey what a cool job that would be voice acting, i might look into it, i reckon i could do a good job eh

i suppose it will just be the feature movies that get the funds to hire the better actors
Quite a lot of the time, it isn't the quality of the actors that is the issue. It is the way they are allowed to act. In more recent times some companies have been spending less time and therefor less money on retakes, and taking only a few attempts per line to get it right. Unless they are all truely terrible they take the best one. For better dubs, they'll give the actors many attempts (within reason) to get it good, and take the best one. That way they can better grasp the quality.
And it may surprise you some of the companies that do the "cheaper, one-take" dubs. Dubs like Tekkon Kinkreet and Paprika are two, high profile series such as Bleach and Naruto I'd imagine are also small-take dubs. Companies such as ADV and FUNimation are less obsessed about the fewest take route, and focus more on the "best take" approach.

hey what a cool job that would be voice acting, i might look into it, i reckon i could do a good job eh
Do you have history acting? If no, I'd give up before you've even started :)

Back