What would make a good dub...?

Fudce

Great Teacher
As a sort of opposite to the "I watch subs because..." post, but at the same time an open question to those who do prefer subs.

What do you like about dubs?
-or-
What would make a good dub? How could the US anime dubbing industry improve?

Bear in mind, comments such as "I hate dubs, no matter what" isn't what I'm after here. If you hate dubs, why do you hate them? What could they do to lessen that feeling of hate?
Comments such as "the actors suck...", why do they suck? What could they do to suck less?

Good voice acting and Emotion? ^__^

Naah. I'm all for dubs, I like quite a number of them, The reason I watch subtitles is that its more 'true' to the original source. It gives a totally different feel to something when watching in English, Something is lost in translation. Although, Dubs are getting increasingly better, I think most of the reason people dislike dubs is because of the "TV Edits", People don't like their milliliters of blood gone. Its not a 'adult' show without them red splashes.

I like dubs because I don't speak Japanese.

I can't feel the supposed better emotion in the language, seeing as I don't know what the people are saying...they could be wooden as hell and I wouldn't know. =/

If I want to read, I'll pick up a book...not a DVD...

Jayme said:
I think most of the reason people dislike dubs is because of the "TV Edits", People don't like their milliliters of blood gone. Its not a 'adult' show without them red splashes.

Aha, but blood splatters aren't dubbed, they're cut. :wink: I'm talking the full audio experience, not the visual one :) (talking visually, is that mime or something?)

Fudce said:
Jayme said:
I think most of the reason people dislike dubs is because of the "TV Edits", People don't like their milliliters of blood gone. Its not a 'adult' show without them red splashes.

Aha, but blood splatters aren't dubbed, they're cut. :wink: I'm talking the full audio experience, not the visual one :) (talking visually, is that mime or something?)
I'm purely talking about the people like "OMG NAURTO DUBZ SUXX EVRY1 SNDS CRAP N THER IZ NO BLOOOOOD" People dislike the whole experience because of things like that, hence they past off the dub as bad. I suppose its visually, But then they could rant on about how Naruto would use words like Bastard in a subtitled (fansub) and doesn't say anything like that in the dub. One more thing, The Believe It! Pointless, Granted he hasn't said it for about 80+ episodes, excluding the preview for the next episodes.

Pfft. People these days.

I like dubs which have the guts to divert away from the literal translation so as to maintain the right feel as opposed to the using ideas that don't translate so well. For example Generator Gawl was entertaining both subbed and dubbed. They were very different in content but the feeling remained consistent between the two. The whole 'he's my tenant!' thing would have sounded strange in English.

Adaptations own translations when done properly.

But whatever any decent DVD will give you the option to watch both versions so I like to check both out to compare regardless.

When I hear American voices in anime it makes it feel American, and so when there is a Japanese setting it just feels wrong.

When I first started buying DVDs, I always watched the English dub, it was good I guess, but now I've had the whole subtitle experience and got used to it, I much prefer it. I love the Japanese language, the expressions, and at the same time I get the full Japanese effect the show was created to give.

I don't hate English dubs, far from it, they're very well done in many cases, I just don't have a Japanese experience when I watch them. Trying to think about it, I don't really think I'd ever watch an English dub again if the choice was mine - fair enough if it was a new Ghibli film at the cinema...

Having Johnny Yong Bosch take the lead role
Having FUNimation dub the series
Having the ORIGINAL soundtrack on the dub

I am pro-dub, and I was so dying inside because of the subs thread, seriously, all the dub bashing I was sooo close to flaming but I just made that one story and all the pain was gone. >____>

My own feelings on the issue, is that dubs should sound right, not sound alike. If doing the same as the Japanese version fits and sounds right, stick with it, otherwise replace it with something that conveys the same intent.
The same goes for voices. Just because a Japanese character has a deep voice, or a high pitched voice, doesn't mean it will sound right in English. The voice should fit the character, not match the japanese voice.

A good dub would be one that flows as well as it does in the original language (though there are cases when the acting is pretty poor in Japanese as well: 'Black Jack the movie'). The most annoying thing for me in a lot of dubs is that it sounds like they're reading off a sheet of paper in front of them. Now in scenes where they have to sync up dialogue I can understand to some degree but sometimes even when there's things like narration going on it still sounds awkward and forced.

So what would I like from dubs... actors that can act and fit the characters are the most important thing to me. An example I guess is that although I think Vic Mognogna is quite a competant actor I don't think he was the right choice to play Edward in Full Metal Alchemist. Also sticking as close to the original script as possible without taking too many liberties with changing the dialogue.

Sy said:
An example I guess is that although I think Vic Mognogna is quite a competant actor I don't think he was the right choice to play Edward in Full Metal Alchemist. .
You're a brave man for saying that, now go to an FMA fansite and say it too! Though I gotta disagree with you on Vic not fitting the role. :>

melonpan said:
When I hear American voices in anime it makes it feel American, and so when there is a Japanese setting it just feels wrong.

What about when an anime is set somewhere other than Japan? You know the way the Brittanians speak Japanese in Code Geass? The way the French speak Japanese in Le Chevalier D'Eon? How about the way the way the English speak Japanese in Hellsing? In Kigeki, the Irish speak Japanese. Does it "feel wrong" in those cases, too?

Hmm... a good dub... interesting question i geuss.
I suppose the problem i have with dubs is that they dont put enough 'emotion' into their work, not sure if people will know what i mean by this (i find it hard to explain :p).
Another thing is they need to find a voice that suits the character, thats the main thing that i dont like about dubs. I watched one a while back (cant remember what it was) and they had this young boy but gave him a way to manly voice :p ill admit it did make me laugh >.<

Lupus Inu said:
Sy said:
An example I guess is that although I think Vic Mognogna is quite a competant actor I don't think he was the right choice to play Edward in Full Metal Alchemist. .
You're a brave man for saying that, now go to an FMA fansite and say it too!
You can tell them I said it. Also tell them that the kid who did the dubbed voice for Al is a terrible actor who was completely unconvincing in every way and should be sent to bed without supper.

As said before, good VA's, having the original Japanese songs in and even dubbing some of the songs (i quite enjoy the dub of the kiddy grade intro/ending)

Better Dubs? They could have the Dub actors imitate a characters lifestyle. Say losing an arm and a leg for FMA? :lol:

Actually, I've no idea what makes a good dub. I guess all thats needed is suitable casting of skilled actors, though thats easier said than done. Sometimes they work and sometimes... they don't.

My main reason for watching Dubs is that I have a multi track mind - I don't just watch a film - I watch a film and play a computer game, or do some writing, or listen to music. I still take everything in as I always watch things multiple times in short succession.

Subs make that much more difficult and awkward. I don't mind subs at all, I do watch them a lot, but having a dub helps immencely.

As for dub quality, it used to be damn awful! (The early manga video dubs were extremely poor, and quite often awful *Coughangelcopcough*) However I felt that most of the ADV and other dubs improved markedly from the midninties onward.
However some recent dubs have been awful, almost as if Anime has passed the "It needs to be good quality so people will begin watching it" phase into the "It is making cash, so lets get it out quick phase" ADVs dubs of late have especially been increasingly poor (Either by going 'overly energetic' in serious anime, or going overly whiney.)

Still, Dubs are fine for the most part. The only Anime where the dubs completely stop me watching were released around 15 years ago for the most part, and even if there are some mediocre ones out there, with dual language disks what is the problem?

Dubs can be good, i'm not denying that, i personally prefer most in their original format, since i believe a lot of the time, the japanese VA's do a far better job overall. Then again there is always the odd few, like i said in the sub topic, Black lagoon is a good example of a better dub cast than the sub cast. Both are really good, but the dub seems to portray the characters better.
I also prefer subs a bit more as it keeps to the storyline more closely. Dubs can do that as well, but i'm never fond of dubs changing how the story is to pan out, or change dialogue to severly

I'd like to see some more established actors in anime roles.

I know wage demands are problem but with Afro Samurai (you might not be a fan but you have to admit the voice acting is top notch) you get the idea that is a way foward. This isn't a dig at existing VA's.

I'd also like to see the UK do a bit more dubs especially with anime set in the UK or some alternate world UK :wink:

J_C_X said:
I'd also like to see the UK do a bit more dubs especially with anime set in the UK or some alternate world UK :wink:

Usually, UK produced dubs aren't all that good (New Dominion Tank police springs to mind). However, I'm sure it could work. The cast of the videogame Dragon Quest VIII were astonishingly good - so, obviously, the voicing talent is there.

Back