What manga are you reading now?

Elegant Yokai Apartment Life (digital only from Kodansha). I've been reading my way through the manga version, having enjoyed the TV anime series, and it's a recommend (currently up to Volume 18 with #19 out in Japan) especially if you like stories with a supernatural twist blended with slice of life. It's also currently on at a reduced rate on Amazon at £3.99 per volume - but I'm not sure how long that offer is going to last.

Dragon Half omnibus edition vol 1-3 complete
@Neil.T dont know if you've read this, but if not you should!

Really fun and funny (and very silly) manga this. Full of 4th wall breaking, silly characters but an ultimately heartwarming story about being true to oneself. The story isnt too focussed on things making sense (sometimes that's the joke) but always stays true to the protagonist. Mink, who's half dragon and wants to be human so she wont be hated, is a good person who does the right thing. Throw in a load of baddies who are mostly morons and shenanigans ensue.

The product itself is also very nice. The volumes include extra artwork made for the series including covers done for the magazine it was serialized in and a little note on each chapter where the mangaka shows a very self depricating attitude. Some interviews with people associated with the franchise and some other silly tidbits.

The events of the OVA are all covered in vol1 and quite frankly the is a lot of stuff in vol 1 omitted in the OVA so there is a lot more story and fun to be had in the manga.

Surreal, silly, 4th wall breaking humour. Action, fan service and a huge cast of fun characters. Not every joke lands (and a couple I actively disapproved of) but overall really enjoyed it. 9/10

Penguindrum volume 1 - Never seen the anime, so this is my first steps into the world of Penguindrum. Love the artwork and story being told here. Just enough mystery to keep me hooked and enough answers to satisfy a lot of my questions. I think I'm going to enjoy this a lot. ^_^

Bungo Stray Dogs volume 13

GE: Good Ending volume 1 - Less good Domestic Girlfriend. Same author, but their earlier series. I'm surprised by how much their artwork improved between this and DG. Will keep reading to see how the pairs come together, if at all~

As Miss Beelzebub Likes volume 8

Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest ch 47

Gal Gohan (Gal Cooking) ch 63

When a Gun Nerd is Reincarnated to a World of Magic, He established a Harem army with Modern Weapons!? ch 38

Even If The Sword Saint is Boring He's Still the Strongest ch 31

Last edited:
Breath of Flowers
I've never read a GL manga before (or any romantic manga really) so I guess it's hard for me to compare but overall this was pretty good. At only 2 volumes its quick and easy to read but it does leave events feeling a little undercooked. There are some interesting ideas around Gwyn that dont get to be fully explored (she is pretending to be a boy so she can play basketball as theres no girl team at the school and this is having a very negative effect on her psychologically) as the story needs to move onto the generic love triangle section of story.

The art however is very good and the characters are super expressive which was nice to see.

The one real negative is right at the start unfortunately where the main character Azami gives a homophobic rant and then 2 pages later is in a committed same sex relationship. It's a real odd note to start on, adds nothing to the story and is never come back to. You could pretty much just start reading at chapter 2 and be fine.

Karneval #9 by Touya Mikanagi at long last from Yen Press in which Yogi's past is revealed, only leading to more mysteries to be unravelled! If you enjoyed the anime (as I did) and like Touya Mikanagi's artwork, then this is a must-read as the plot has now travelled far beyond what happened in the anime.

Karneval #9 by Touya Mikanagi at long last from Yen Press in which Yogi's past is revealed, only leading to more mysteries to be unravelled! If you enjoyed the anime (as I did) and like Touya Mikanagi's artwork, then this is a must-read as the plot has now travelled far beyond what happened in the anime.
Didn’t know a new volume was out...must get it.

Gyo
This might be my fave Junji Ito yet. Disturbing and weird with his usual excellent art. And a story following a single protagonist throughout. It really helps to have a character you can emphasize with in a story like this!

Gyo
This might be my fave Junji Ito yet. Disturbing and weird with his usual excellent art. And a story following a single protagonist throughout. It really helps to have a character you can emphasize with in a story like this!

Gyo is great but The Enigma of Amigara Fault is the star of that book imo, my favourite Junji Ito story I've read so far!

Back