What is the worst job you have ever had?

Leaving school around this time is awful. I left college about 13 months ago and started a Uni course last September; the SEN department was **** so I left. Since then, I haven't been able to find a job; I've been killing time by being the news guy on a few gaming websites.

Although it wouldn't really count as a "job", from 2006 until around April 2011, I was the main new guy on the Pokémon fansite pokemonworld.co.uk. Me and the webmaster were close friends (we met at school); he always had a bit of a reputation for being a power hungry idiot, and the majority of the forum saw me as the guy who would come in when he had crossed the line and put him back in line. However, last year the website started teaming up with Gamerbase to do Pokémon tournaments, and later on, Nintendo took notice. That's when things turned sour.

He changed. He became a businessman focused on constantly having tournaments to make himself look good for Nintendo (heck, he told me to start every news article with "Pokémon" and "UK" in the first line just so the site came up on google more. He was going to secret talks to discuss their release plans for Pokémon Black and White (which was information only the administration of the website was privy too), and me and him were eventually given invitations to the VIP premiere of the games on 3rd March (I didn't go as a plus one, I got my own invite, because when it was announced that Masuda and Sugimori were visiting the UK, I wrote an email to Nintendo requesting for an interview - instead, we got invites).

He suddenly saw himself as the head of a business, and me and the other staff who worked with him were quickly seen by him as working for him. On the day of the premiere, he kept phoning me telling me not to make an ass of myself (he had also given me such a lecture after we met up with Nintendo UK - even saying that he's glad he brought me along, because it shows Nintendo that PW accomodates people with special needs...sure, I have dyspraxia and suspected Asperger's, but if we weren't in a crowded train station, I would have floored him there and then).

Eventually, I got fed up and left; he was always siding with trolls rather than his friends. I made a post about why I had left - and he deleted all mention of it, because it made him look bad. I haven't spoken to him since, and the quality of the website's news hasn't been as good as my standard (I know that sounds jerkish, but it's true). Now, I write the odd article for WiiUAndMii.com , which was actually founded by the person who replaced me as admin on PokémonWorld.

Back