What If the Death Note ending was reversed (SPOLIERS)

Lol it's ok, so am I XD it's one of those things.

I think it is too fast a transition yeh, but I think it's the whole "absolute power corrupts absolutely" argument.

You say that but there's so much info to take on in the manga it's not easily skim read without missing bits or not understanding exactly what's happening.

Indeed power corrupts is what Death Note is all about, but I would like to see a steady flow of character building towards that. The Movies do a great job of steadily turning Light into power crazy person while the Anime it seems has near non existent development in Light.

As I already seen the anime I probably could skim Death Note Manga a bit better as I have seen it all before. Also I tend to quick read Manga sometimes, so taking less time to admire the visuals and instead concentrate reading the dialogue quickly. It can sometime improve the experience sometime on first time reading as it gives the feel of the story a fast thriller feel to it.

Dave said:
Indeed power corrupts is what Death Note is all about, but I would like to see a steady flow of character building towards that. The Movies do a great job of steadily turning Light into power crazy person while the Anime it seems has near non existent development in Light.

As I already seen the anime I probably could skim Death Note Manga a bit better as I have seen it all before. Also I tend to quick read Manga sometimes, so taking less time to admire the visuals and instead concentrate reading the dialogue quickly. It can sometime improve the experience sometime on first time reading as it gives the feel of the story a fast thriller feel to it.

True, but I like to try and take it all to see if there's any significant differences XP

From a moral stand point it would be fairly disgusting to see Light succede and rule a world where crime is immediately punishable by death.

Throughout the story you could see his morals gradually slipping as he became progressively more ruthless. The alternative to him being defeated would have been a regime of genocidal facism, which doesn't really appeal...

Wildcard said:
From a moral stand point it would be fairly disgusting to see Light succede and rule a world where crime is immediately punishable by death.

Throughout the story you could see his morals gradually slipping as he became progressively more ruthless. The alternative to him being defeated would have been a regime of genocidal facism, which doesn't really appeal...

Letting Light die was easy way out to finish the story as it became quite obvious clear how the story would end with him losing. It would have been far more interesting to see what Light would have done and how it would affected the world in the years to come. You don't often see a story where the bad guy wins, it would be nice for change to see what would happen.

Dave said:
Wildcard said:

Letting Light die was easy way out to finish the story as it became quite obvious clear how the story would end with him losing. It would have been far more interesting to see what Light would have done and how it would affected the world in the years to come. You don't often see a story where the bad guy wins, it would be nice for change to see what would happen.

It would've been too one-sided though, the best part of DN was the cat and mouse aspect. If Light had won, it would've had to end there and the prospect of a world where Light is God would feel like a bit of an F-U to the viewer.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Dave said:
Wildcard said:

It would've been too one-sided though, the best part of DN was the cat and mouse aspect. If Light had won, it would've had to end there and the prospect of a world where Light is God would feel like a bit of an F-U to the viewer.

Well they already gave the F-U to the readership with L death and quite arguably replaced L with lesser characters in Near/Mellow. The way the story ended it felt nothing really changed in the world and the whole Death Note incident will just be forgotten about.

It would quite funny to see Light announce he is kira and becoming king of the world only to be killed by unknown human party using the Death Note.

Dave said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Dave said:
Wildcard said:

Well they already gave the F-U to the readership with L death and quite arguably replaced L with lesser characters in Near/Mellow. The way the story ended it felt nothing really changed in the world and the whole Death Note incident will just be forgotten about.

It would quite funny to see Light announce he is kira and becoming king of the world only to be killed by unknown human party using the Death Note.

That's not true, Kira's influence lives on as evidenced by the manga with the huge group of followers praying to/for Kira.

I think it says that the death of Kira was never made public, I guess so that criminals would still be deterred .

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Dave said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Dave said:
Wildcard said:

That's not true, Kira's influence lives on as evidenced by the manga with the huge group of followers praying to/for Kira.

I think it says that the death of Kira was never made public, I guess so that criminals would still be deterred .

Its only a cheap Cult which I compare to Kira fanatics group that popped out through the series. All talk, no substance and probably lead by people aiming for their own goals & ambitions.

They would just blow smoke and disappear into history once they see that the people they judge to be bad are no longer facing their desired justice, they will fall greatly in number until there nothing of any substance left.

A example in our reality would be the groups like Ku Klux Klan or the Nazi. They had one points million of members and massive power but now thankful down to few thousand with little power today.

Dave said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Dave said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Dave said:
Wildcard said:

Its only a cheap Cult which I compare to Kira fanatics group that popped out through the series. All talk, no substance and probably lead by people aiming for their own goals & ambitions.

They would just blow smoke and disappear into history once they see that the people they judge to be bad are no longer facing their desired justice, they will fall greatly in number until there nothing of any substance left.

A example in our reality would be the groups like Ku Klux Klan or the Nazi. They had one points million of members and massive power but now thankful down to few thousand with little power today.

True but it's still fair to say when someone has made such an impact on the world and essentially held it ransom with fea, it doesn't matter if they were victorious or not, their presence resonates through history. The President folded to Kira for cryin' out loud. Someone like that will be remembered.

But I agree that any specific influence in terms of followers would be minimal at best, but I don't think Kira would be so easily forgotten. He reigned for several years remember, plus people love a good conspiracy. The fact Kira's identity was never revealed will mean he'd remain a topic of conversation for some time.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
True but it's still fair to say when someone has made such an impact on the world and essentially held it ransom with fea, it doesn't matter if they were victorious or not, their presence resonates through history. The President folded to Kira for cryin' out loud. Someone like that will be remembered.

But I agree that any specific influence in terms of followers would be minimal at best, but I don't think Kira would be so easily forgotten. He reigned for several years remember, plus people love a good conspiracy. The fact Kira's identity was never revealed will mean he'd remain a topic of conversation for some time.

You can't get much more impact on the World than the Nazi's, they were the reason for World War 2. One of the biggest event ever in global History. But over half a decade later they just merely a memory of the past with little influence in the world today.

They may talk about kira in the future and make him into something a kin to some kind legendary figure. But eventually he probable become similar to Vlad the Impaler who later became through fiction Dracula. So essentially Kira will become a tool to sell merchandise :D

Kira legacy will become a legend but nothing more and won't becoming someone or something that really changed the world today like the Greeks or Romans did.

Thinking about what Sparrowsabre said earlier, I came up with maybe a series where Light operates from the realm of the Death Gods. That would put a kinda D&D angle on Deathnote then. It might be popular in Japan, Light as a Death God, his next incarnation?!

Then the series would be called "Deathnote Underworld" or "Light: Next Incarnation!"

cercia said:
Thinking about what Sparrowsabre said earlier, I came up with maybe a series where Light operates from the realm of the Death Gods. That would put a kinda D&D angle on Deathnote then. It might be popular in Japan, Light as a Death God, his next incarnation?!

Then the series would be called "Deathnote Underworld" or "Light: Next Incarnation!"

I dunno if Shinigami can work that way, I think they are governed by rules of their own. Plus I think it's better that Death Note doesn't get a sequel, I'd rather an OVA series on the BB Murder Cases or something.

cercia said:
I was thinking more along the lines of redesigning Light as a Shinigami.

If he then went to the human world and guided someone as his apprentice of sorts...I guess that'd be cool, but I'm pretty sure Shinigami have rules they can't break, though Light would probably figure the loopholes.

And the relight hints towards such a possibility.. but only hints, I think I'd prefer it left at that, I think Death Note is pretty much done, I'm satisfied as is.

I think in the manga it states when a human dies whether using the Death Note or not they will simply cease to exist, no afterlife or anything.

It would be interesting to see Light as Shinigami though but I could not see any real suspense with light carriing on his plans with him begin now immortal and all. Would be nice to see more inner-working of Shinigami world but I couldn't see it producing enough material for another series maybe an ova instead.

On another thing relating to Death Note. I am not general keen on parody in anime/manga as lot of the time as I find they quite lazy inserted into the story. But Gintama does incredibly funny parody of Death Note for the whole episode 25. Imagine Death Note style of L & Light competing against each other but instead replacing them with gintama quirky cast and them instead having them fight over beef in hot pot dish.

Dave said:
I think in the manga it states when a human dies whether using the Death Note or not they will simply cease to exist, no afterlife or anything.

It would be interesting to see Light as Shinigami though but I could not see any real suspense with light carriing on his plans with him begin now immortal and all. Would be nice to see more inner-working of Shinigami world but I couldn't see it producing enough material for another series maybe an ova instead.

On another thing relating to Death Note. I am not general keen on parody in anime/manga as lot of the time as I find they quite lazy inserted into the story. But Gintama does incredibly funny parody of Death Note for the whole episode 25. Imagine Death Note style of L & Light competing against each other but instead replacing them with gintama quirky cast and them instead having them fight over beef in hot pot dish.

Yeah it does state that, as does the anime, but people can dream heh.

Also that sounds hilarious XD

@Dave - Stumbled upon this conversation pretty late, but I have to say your comment about the Death Note running out of pages had me in stitches.

Although, I like the idea of a 'good' Death Note too. That would make an interesting TV show, especially if L was the lead.

Back