What Games Are You Playing?

[Warning: First link, while comical in nature, is still a potential game spoiler. As is everything under spoiler tags, obviously]

I've been playing SOMA. Simultaneously beautiful and horrifying, just like being alive.

Aside from the fact I got lost in the ocean quite a lot, I had only one issue with what I otherwise thought was a fantastic game. It's an issue I have with games which are a narrative rather than an RPG, but still allow you to make moral choices - Simon, the player character, did not speak for me. The choices I made (as Simon) throughout the game were based on my own understanding and beliefs - Which were clearly not Simon's understanding or beliefs. Which made for a bit of a dismal ending to the game when I was 100% agreeing with Catherine and finding Simon's utter childishness equally infuriating. No, of course your consciousness didn't get transferred from your body into the Ark, Simon 3.0. Did you not understand that from when you yourself were created from a scan of Simon 2.0, and he continued to exist? You dense muffin fluffer.

I exaggerate. That's far too harsh on the game's really quite excellent writing. Much as I might have been occasionally annoyed by Simon's attitude, he and Catherine are obviously there to provide different perspectives on what they consider to be life or consciousness - SOMA really isn't about the destination, it's about the journey which forces the player to confront some pretty heavy ideas potentially far more terrifying than any of the game's admittedly creepy monsters (though is it fair to call them that? Perhaps not). Speaking of the monsters, I am a huge fan of the decision to make the picture break up worse and worse the closer the player gets to them. That is an ingenious way of solving the problem so much horror media has of all suspense being thrown out as soon as you see the thing causing it (because clearly nothing can live up to the expectation of unimaginable, unknowable terrors that for whatever reason still reside somewhere deep inside us all). Much as I still enjoyed Amnesia, Frictional Games' previous outing, as soon as I'd seen the monsters in that game up close and laughed out loud a lot of the magic was gone.

And boy, does it ask those tough questions on that journey. Do you unplug someone who's suffering terribly but clearly wants to live from what is essentially a life support machine? Is a robot with AI more, less, or equally as sentient as a robot possessing a copy of a human consciousness? Does humanity have the right to destroy a new and potentially superior life form? Would a simulation of reality, indistinguishable to those inside it from the real thing, be equal in importance to reality itself? These kinds of questions of the nature of reality and consciousness have fascinated me for a long time - That didn't make them any easier to answer or base decisions on, but I applaud Frictional for asking them. Because with the way VR, AI and our understanding of the human mind is progressing, it might not be long at all before we have to start asking them for real.

I got Kotodama the other day and I’m a few chapters in. Pretty good. The VN sections don’t drag on too long and the puzzle game bits (kinda like Bejewelled) are fun.

Totally worth the £20 I paid!

tumblr_n4m28jabr51qf36nto1_500.gif

Completed Game #19:
Utakumi 575 [PlayStation Vita]

When I reached the main menu, I was shaking. I was about to play a unique and different music rhythm game, that involves matching the correct Japanese characters in Hiragana/Katakana while also hitting the notes on each side of the screen without fault. This is what Utakumi 575 is all about, using a special 5-7-5 style of singing for the two main girls. Utakumi 575, despite the anime cover art (done by the illustrator behind Eromanga Sensei and Oreimo), is actually a vocaloid project with music and development done by the same members behind the Hatsune Miku Project Diva games.

The game is split into numerous chapters, and each one is based on a school academic year with 2-3 songs available. These songs are split into three versions; short, middle and long. Short and Middle are essentially cut down versions of the full song, comparable to anime theme song length, while Long is the original with a lot of challenge added to it.

As mentioned, the game is based on matching the correct Japanese characters displayed on the screen at a timed window. The characters can range from 1-5 and sometimes the game may even provide a hint with a single character placed in the slot to help you out. The timed window can be generous at times, but also pretty tough especially when you have to hit the notes at the same time.

I should also mention that this game is entirely touch-screen exclusive, with only the start button being used to pause the game. You could argue by doing this control scheme that the game feels like a smartphone. Well, fun fact Utakumi 575 is part of Project 575, which also involves a smartphone and an anime series. As such you need to use the touch screen to press the notes that are displayed on the screen and also the characters. The notes themselves are split into three different versions; the first is the usual red/pink like notes which you use the square slots on each side to press when timed correctly, the second is an orange line which you need to hold until the line concludes, and the third is blue notes which require you to tap the back end of the PlayStation Vita.

The most interesting aspect about the Japanese character sections is that even if you make the wrong choices, the girls will still sing those parts so it's like a tweaked version of the song itself. When you finish the song, the results selection will also display the lyrics and show you where you went wrong. You can even access the version of the song with the correct lyrics (like Project Diva's music video mode) to see which one you need to select for the best rating.

You can also customise the character's clothes, the background, create an arranged version of the song by mixing your own Japanese characters of choice, and also adjust the settings to mute the vocals (which interestingly the girls themselves just keep their mouths shut rather than have their mouths open during the lyrical part, so I give SEGA credit for going the extra detail on that) and also support left-handed users and toggle anti-aliasing.

utagumi-utakumi-575-vita-screen011.jpg

Overall Utakumi 575 was a fun music rhythm game even if I had to use a guide to get the correct characters for each song. Eventually when you have to replay or restart I ended up remembering select parts of the song so that helped. The trophies in this game are in the same difficulty vein as Taiko where most are easily acquirable, but then you have the one trophy which requires you to perfect every song on every difficulty which can throw people off. I was able to do it in the end surprisingly and got the Platinum trophy.

My backlog so far:
Key: PS4 - PS3 - PSVita - 3DS - PC/Steam

428: Shibuya Scramble
Bullet Girls
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Catherine

Chaos;Child
Danganronpa 1 Reload
Danganronpa 2 Reload
Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
Dead or Alive 5 Last Round
Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Fortune

Demon Gaze
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
Dragon's Crown
Drakengard 3
Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2
Eternal Sonata

Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star
Final Fantasy X HD Remaster
Final Fantasy X-2 HD Remaster
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

Folklore
Freedom Wars
Gal*Gun: Double Peace
GOD EATER Resurrection
GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst
Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR-
.hack//G.U. Vol.1: Rebirth
.hack//G.U. Vol.2: Reminisce
.hack//G.U. Vol.3: Redemption
.hack//G.U. Vol.4: Reconnection

Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 3
Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed

Jak II
Jak 3

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky First Chapter
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven

MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies
Muv-Luv
Muv-Luv Alternative

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Nights of Azure
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Ratchet & Clank
Ratchet & Clank 2
Ratchet & Clank 3
Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes

Sengoku Basara 4: Sumeragi
Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson
Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal
Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash!
Shining Resonance: Refrain

Siren Blood Curse
Sly Cooper
Sly 2
Sly 3
Soul Calibur V

Star Ocean V: Integrity and Faithlessness
Steins;Gate Elite
Steins;Gate: Linear Bound Phenogram
Super Robot Wars V

Superdimension Neptune vs SEGA Hard Girls
Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization
Tales of the Abyss
Tales of Xillia 2
Tales of Zestiria
Tears to Tiara II: Heir of the Overlord
Tokyo Xanadu eX+
Touch My Katamari
Toukiden 2
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception
Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth
Valkyria Chronicles Remastered

Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni
Warriors All-Stars
White Knight Chronicles
White Knight Chronicles II

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Ys Origin
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma

Completed Games Collection of 2019:
  • #01 | Yakuza 0 (for PlayStation 4)
  • #02 | Yakuza Kiwami (for PlayStation 4)
  • #03 | Onimusha: Warlords (for PlayStation 4)
  • #04 | Kingdom Hearts III (for PlayStation 4)
  • #05 | El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (for PlayStation 3)
  • #06 | Lollipop Chainsaw (for PlayStation 3)
  • #07 | Attack on Titan: Wings of Freedom (for PlayStation 4)
  • #08 | Akiba's Trip 2: Undead & Undressed (for PlayStation 4)
  • #09 | Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition (for PlayStation 4)
  • #10 | Ys I Chronicles+ (for PC/Steam)
  • #11 | Ys II Chronicles+ (for PC/Steam)
  • #12 | Spyro the Dragon HD (for PlayStation 4)
  • #13 | Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage HD (for PlayStation 4)
  • #14 | Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon HD (for PlayStation 4)
  • #15 | Tekken Tag Tournament HD (for PlayStation 3)
  • #16 | Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Prologue (for PlayStation 3)
  • #17 | Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy HD (for PlayStation 3)
  • #18 | Taiko no Tatsujin V Version (for PlayStation Vita)
  • #19 | Utakumi 575 (for PlayStation Vita)

Platinum Trophy Collection:
#01 | 2014 | Saints Row: The Third (for PlayStation 3)
#02 | 2015 | JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle (for PlayStation 3)
#03 | 2015 | Hyperdimension Neptunia (for PlayStation 3)
#04 | 2015 | Dekamori Senran Kagura (for PlayStation Vita)
#05 | 2015 | Steins;Gate (for PlayStation 3)
#06 | 2015 | NieR (for PlayStation 3)
#07 | 2015 | No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise (for PlayStation 3)
#08 | 2015 | Asura's Wrath (for PlayStation 3)
#09 | 2015 | Saints Row IV (for PlayStation 3)
#10 | 2015 | The Darkness II (for PlayStation 3)
#11 | 2016 | Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 (for PlayStation 3)
#12 | 2016 | Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater HD (for PlayStation 3)
#13 | 2016 | Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus (for PlayStation Vita)
#14 | 2016 | Gravity Rush (for PlayStation Vita)
#15 | 2016 | Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory (for PlayStation 3)
#16 | 2016 | Resogun (for PlayStation 4)
#17 | 2016 | Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (for PlayStation Vita)
#18 | 2016 | Game of Thrones: A Telltale Game (for PlayStation 4)
#19 | 2017 | Miracle Girls Festival (for PlayStation Vita)
#20 | 2017 | Senran Kagura Estival Versus (for PlayStation 4)
#21 | 2017 | The Wolf Among Us (for PlayStation 4)
#22 | 2017 | Final Fantasy XV (for PlayStation 4)
#23 | 2017 | Amplitude (for PlayStation 4)
#24 | 2017 | Root Letter (for PlayStation 4)
#25 | 2017 | IA/VT -Colorful- (for PlayStation Vita)
#26 | 2017 | Persona 4: Dancing All Night (for PlayStation Vita)
#27 | 2017 | Gravity Rush Remastered (for PlayStation 4)
#28 | 2017 | NieR: Automata (for PlayStation 4)
#29 | 2017 | The Silver Case HD (for PlayStation 4)
#30 | 2017 | Steins;Gate 0 (for PlayStation 4)
#31 | 2017 | Under Defeat HD (for PlayStation 3)
#32 | 2017 | Tales from the Borderlands (for PlayStation 4)
#33 | 2017 | Dragon Ball Z Budokai HD Collection (for PlayStation 3)
#34 | 2017 | Life is Strange (for PlayStation 4)
#35 | 2017 | Sword Art Online: Lost Song (for PlayStation 4)
#36 | 2017 | Crash Bandicoot HD (for PlayStation 4)
#37 | 2017 | Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back HD (for PlayStation 4)
#38 | 2017 | Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped HD (for PlayStation 4)
#39 | 2017 | Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (for PlayStation 4)
#40 | 2018 | Corpse Party: Blood Drive (for PlayStation Vita)
#41 | 2018 | Persona 5 (for PlayStation 4)
#42 | 2018 | Zero Escape: The Nonary Games (for PlayStation 4)
#43 | 2018 | Persona 4: Dancing All Night [Japanese Version] (for PlayStation 4)
#44 | 2018 | Marvel's Spider-Man (for PlayStation 4)
#45 | 2019 | Akiba's Trip 2: Undead & Undressed (for PlayStation 4)
#46 | 2019 | Spyro the Dragon HD (for PlayStation 4)
#47 | 2019 | Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage HD (for PlayStation 4)
#48 | 2019 | Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon HD (for PlayStation 4)
#49 | 2019 | Tekken Tag Tournament HD (for PlayStation 3)
#50 | 2019 | Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy HD (for PlayStation 3)
#51 | 2019 | Taiko no Tatsujin V Version (for PlayStation Vita)
#52 | 2019 | Utakumi 575 (for PlayStation Vita)

Last edited:
Finished Final Fantasy IX Digital Edition (PS4) (Playtime: around 40 hours.) This version improves a lot of the flaws with FF IX that were irksome with the PS1/PSN version, such as slow battles and enemy encounters. Stealing still felt temperamental but the improved character models and cleanup of the graphics in general give the game a better look. FF IX has a rather dark story despite its exterior and is all the better for it, rating high in my overall FF list. 4/5

Now onto Detroit Become Human I think as it was free with this months PS Plus.

I'm done with Hellblade, and my mate has lent me his PSTV and a few of his vita games, as well as whatever he has on his PS account that I can download and play.
So I'm currently playing through Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni when I can. Planning on going through the Metal Gear Solid series as well at some point. He has a few VNs like Steins;Gate and Root Letter as well that I'd like to play through too. Plenty to keep me occupied.

Currently been playing Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled (PS4) Been mostly doing the stuff for the Grand Prix .Its super fun and I'm highly impressed with what Beenox have done with CTR despite the bugs.
The original on the PS1 was great but I'm absolutely loving this.

Atelier Lulua

Played it around 8 hours and it seems like this series is getting back to the track with this entry. This seems to closer to E&L (which is great thing in my books) than the two games that came after this (though i didn't make far in the first PS4 game)

I'm skipping through Muv-Luv Unlimited so I can get the platinum trophy and trade it in/sell it/lash it in the canal.

Extra was tolerable, but Unlimited is the absolute pits. I struggled through it for hours, hoping it would become enjoyable and it never did. A couple more minutes of holding R and I can banish it from my home for good.

At some point in time, I also bought Alternative (and the anime). I think that may have been a mistake.

Completed Detroit Become Human (Playtime: around 10 to 15 hours?) Played through this and got the good ending for all the characters, it’s certainly an interesting narrative though I’m not about to spend ages unlocking everything in the flow charts. 4/5

Not sure what to play next.

Not sure what to play next.

GOLF.

Because that's what I had been playing recently. Everybody's Golf on PS4, you can thank my random addiction to Let's Play multiplayer golf videos on YouTube. Granted those were mini-golf games, but I am planning on downloading Everybody's Putter Golf on PS3 which is essentially mini golf at some point lol.

Been on a bit of a horror binge after finishing SOMA. I finally got around to finishing Outlast and its Whistleblower expansion (or rather replayed the game entirely as after reloading my save game from nearly two years ago I couldn't remember where I was or what was going on).

I could really have done with less of the night-vision camera. I get what the game was going for, it's essentially a make your own found footage horror film. But once I got so far into the game I was pretty much having to use it constantly (I refuse to ruin horror games for myself by abusing the gamma setting) its brightness was really tiring on my eyes in an unlit room and also detracted quite a bit from the game's environments. It seemed almost like there wasn't a whole lot of point creating nicely detailed or coloured environments with dramatic lighting when the player is going to spend most of their time looking at them through a blown-out grainy green and white filter.

Rather than just using the camera to become budget Sam Fisher, I can't help but think the whole idea of documenting important events with the camera was a much more interesting one that could have had a better use within gameplay than simply working towards an achievement - In both games, the very reason your character is there and in possession of a video camera is to document what's going on, but whether you actually bother to do so or not seems to have no effect on the outcome of the game. The potential for people to discover these tapes you've made and the contents of them should have held more weight. When I first started the game I wrongly presumed due to the timestamp the footage was actually being recorded for playback later in the game or as an extra, which would have been a nice touch - Though as mentioned above part way through it would just have turned into a rather boring game recording rather than a catalogue of disturbing events.

I've noticed that quite a bit of criticism has been levelled at the game's ending - I personally had zero problems with it. I understand people's desire to feel like they've achieved something by their actions, but characters striving only to be faced with the fact it was all utterly futile is at the core of the best horror stories. Seeing someone lose when they deserve to win sure is dark and depressing, and it's supposed to be. Except for weirdos like me who think becoming the Walrider is probably a far greater prize than any other ending would have been.

Whistleblower gives it even more weight by having Miles become the final threat to Waylon - One that, precisely because of the first game's ending, you genuinely don't know if he'll escape. It's probably a good job I wasn't in charge of writing this game because the idea that the e-mail Waylon sent to Miles not only resulted in all the horrible events that subsequently happened to him but also ended up bringing the person there who prevented his escape right at the last moment would have been too delicious to resist. I thought the Julian Assange ending was kinda anti-climactic to be honest.

What I did find a bit odd was that most of the events of Whistleblower are clearly meant to take place concurrently with those of the original game, and while that produced some nice moments (Father Martin writing the messages that guided Miles in the first game, the mercs finding Trager's body and particularly the almost joyous realisation Waylon could escape because Miles had left his car) something didn't feel quite right - In the first game I'd presumed the lunatics had taken over the asylum days, possibly weeks ago from the state of things, but in Whistleblower that timescale is revealed to be... Twelve hours. Twelve hours? The inmates were clearly very efficient in their destruction (Eddie Gluskin must have been going through subjects like a production line to get that gymnasium so fully decorated) or were all former Hollywood set dressers who immediately set about making the place look just right for their visitors to live up to that creepy abandoned hospital vibe.

I wrote far more than I intended there, so I'll save Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs for another post.

Horror games part the second - Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, or another lesson in why I should never be granted any kind of power by any earthly or unearthly force.

I ignored this for the longest time after hearing that it didn't live up to the original Amnesia, but I really shouldn't have. And being just a little over a single quid in the Steam sale tipped the balance in favour of giving it a go. I can totally see why so many fans of The Dark Descent were disappointed. Several major gameplay elements were totally done away with - By removing the sanity meter, giving the player an unlimited light source and removing the inventory (and therefore all puzzles that required finding items to complete) what you have is not so much a tense survival horror as a walking simulator with stealth elements (which perhaps shouldn't really have come as a surprise given that developers The Chinese Room were best known at this point for more or less originating the genre with Dear Esther).

Something I'm actually quite pleased A Machine for Pigs ditched though is Frictional's patented "touch this weird thing for a window into the past to advance the story" they've been relying on since Penumbra, and I think next time it would be good to see them do likewise. I think it makes for a better experience to discover the story from information and characters that can be found within the environment rather than unexplained infodumps fed directly into your brain.

Despite its gameplay shortcomings, I found the story and the process of gradually uncovering it far more engrossing than that of The Dark Descent. In both games (and SOMA, which is really a third entry in all but name with technology substituting for the occult - in fact A Machine for Pigs bridges the two quite nicely with its industrial setting) you play as someone who is missing memories and has to discover what the Hell has been going on (hence the title). In both Amnesia games you discover that you've been a pretty monstrous human being, but in rather different ways. I personally feel Mandus' story in A Machine for Pigs is a lot more thought-provoking than Daniel's in The Dark Descent - Daniel became a monster out of fear in order to save himself, whereas Mandus became a monster to try and save the world from itself. I feel like A Machine for Pigs has more to say about the potential of anyone to do horrific things if they can convince themselves they're for the greater good, and that's what makes it a great story that will stay with me. It's not terrifying in the same way as Outlast with it's scares and twitchy sense of fear, but it is terrifying on a whole other existential level.

Where Daniel was led astray by someone far more amoral and manipulative than himself (and who he lays a lot of the blame on for becoming the man he did - Indeed his first instinct is revenge on Alexander rather than to any kind of self-reflection) Mandus was taken down his dark path by his own misanthropic, dehumanising side. He has no-one to blame but himself for the things he's done and as an industrialist, there's the strong implication he was simply taking industrialisation and paternalistic Victorian attitudes to their logical endgame, the reduction of people to "human resources" - Cogs in his machine, replacement "children" to his benevolent god, at least more benevolent than any that would allow the world to exist in its late 19th Century form with its fat idle rich and teeming, starving poor - Both equally detestable and useless to society in Mandus' industrious eyes.

The most burning question I came away from the game with was, despite his own harsh judgement of and drive to redeem himself, is Mandus really any more a monster than those "The Engineer" saw in his vision of the future? The politicians and generals of the world wars, the dictators and engineers of production-line genocides? Would his Pig Man World really have been any worse? The titular machine, after all, isn't Mandus' machine:

This world is a machine. A machine for pigs, fit only for the slaughtering of pigs.

And there might be no revelation so potentially horrifying as the realisation that machine is still running, and you and I are maintaining it.

My replay of Final Fantasy X has gone smoothly asides from limited hours due to working but hiding vital sigils for the ultimate weapons behind repugnant mini games like Chocobo dodger and lightning dodging has soured my mood. Having to play hours of blitzball didn’t help either.

I decided to play some Rock Band 4 today after not bothering for a while. I also downloaded a couple bunch of songs that were made available over the past 8 months. After playing most of the tracks, I decided that it was time for me to simply put the game to rest.

My main issue at the moment is with the Rock Band 4 Guitar, it feels rather sluggish and often not registering the notes as you would expect. Not to mention that because the strum bar is quiet, you can't really tell if you're hitting the notes or not and it shows during the gameplay. The buttons are fine, but I just think that my skill is being tampered by the guitar controller and at times the calibration.

My replay of Final Fantasy X has gone smoothly asides from limited hours due to working but hiding vital sigils for the ultimate weapons behind repugnant mini games like Chocobo dodger and lightning dodging has soured my mood. Having to play hours of blitzball didn’t help either.
Decided to forgo the weapons and just finish the game.

Finished Final Fantasy X HD Remaster (playtime: around 80 hours) This is a fun game and I found the battle system of being able to swap out characters to be an improvement on previous entries. The sphere grid progression system was also intuitive and the expert option allowed for better customisation.

The story and characters in FFX are decent but FFX is let down by some truly awful mini games of which key items are hidden behind and it soured my experiences in the Endgame. Overall a good entry in the franchise but not a favourite. 4/5

Not sure what to play next, have much less time for gaming atm than I used to!

This one is technically a cheat but considering how it's essentially the equivalent of a complete game I decided to include it in the ranks.

6sfJN3Nm.jpg

Completed Game #20:
Marvel's Spider-Man: The City That Never Sleeps (+ Main Story New Game Plus) [PlayStation 4]

Now that I have my PlayStation collection back with me and coincidently a sale was around on PSN, I finally got my hands on the additional story content for Marvel's Spider-Man and finished it back on Monday 5th August. To recap I really enjoyed this game as it felt very nostalgic of my time playing some of the games in the franchise years back and I even acquired the Platinum trophy for it. This additional story content I'm about to discuss is a continuation of the events of the main base game and will very likely to crucial to the events of the sequel if it ever gets greenlit.

Called The City That Never Sleeps, the story is split between three-story DLC arcs with Spider-Man dealing with Black Cat and Hammerhead. It's surprisingly good with a lot of effort put into the story and some of the content that you can access throughout. The gameplay is the same as you would expect but with more bonus challenges like the Screwball ones which can be rather tedious but the enemies themselves can be a pain as they use Sable's weapons and armor which can be a bastard to deal with, primarily the brutes with chainguns.

Overall it's a fun and enjoyable pack and I highly recommend it if you want to spend another 12 hours going through the story and other trophies it had to offer. Along the way I also went ahead with New Game Plus on Ultimate difficulty, a post-launch free update to offer a more difficult challenge. In the end it's actually pretty easy though that's only if you are Level 50 and are making use of the combat really well. Because you can actually die pretty easily if you aren't paying much attention. The third act is where it really starts to become a bit of a challenge especially during the Rhino and Scorpion boss fight and the Sable dudes with the jetpacks.

In the end, I now have all of the trophies for this game.

In other video-game progress news, I did jump back onto Rock Band 4 after raging due to my calibration and guitar problems. The good news is that I was able to recalibrate it so that I can actually make decent progress, however, it seems I am unable to perfectly get through the more strum-heavy songs as much as I wanted to due to the guitar. This is similar to how my Pro Drums kit on Xbox 360 can't handle the fast notes with the cymbals.

I also did a sneaky thing with Jak II. The original plan was to jump straight into this game after Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, but it was the trophies with regards to the collectibles is what stopped me from doing so due to how much time it takes. Turns out that despite what the guides have said, the Debug Mode that Naughty Dog added in the original PS2 version is able to unlock the trophies. So I decided to get those collectible trophies out of the way before eventually starting the game normally (the rest of the side-trophies are still unlocked so that I can do those legit).

My backlog so far:
-- PlayStation 3 -- 26 total --
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Catherine
Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut
Dragon's Crown
Drakengard 3
Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2
Eternal Sonata
Folklore
Jak II: Renegade HD
Jak 3 HD
Katamari Forever
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Ratchet & Clank HD
Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando HD
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal HD
Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes
Siren Blood Curse
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus HD
Sly 2: Band of Thieves HD
Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves HD
Soul Calibur V
Tales of Xillia 2
Tears to Tiara II: Heir of the Overlord
White Knight Chronicles
White Knight Chronicles II

-- PlayStation Vita -- 14 total --
Bullet Girls
Demon Gaze
Freedom Wars
Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 3
Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed
MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies
Muv-Luv
Muv-Luv Alternative
Superdimension Neptune vs SEGA Hard Girls
Touch My Katamari
Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni

-- PlayStation 4 -- 45 total --
428: Shibuya Scramble
Chaos;Child
Danganronpa 1 Reload
Danganronpa 2 Reload
Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
Dead or Alive 5 Last Round
Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Fortune
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
DOOM 3 BFG Edition
Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star
Final Fantasy X HD Remaster
Final Fantasy X-2 HD Remaster
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
Gal*Gun: Double Peace
GOD EATER Resurrection
GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst
Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR-
.hack//G.U. Vol.1: Rebirth Remastered
.hack//G.U. Vol.2: Reminisce Remastered
.hack//G.U. Vol.3: Redemption Remastered
.hack//G.U. Vol.4: Reconnection
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven
Nights of Azure
Sengoku Basara 4: Sumeragi
Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal
Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash!
Shining Resonance: Refrain
Star Ocean V: Integrity and Faithlessness
Steins;Gate Elite
Steins;Gate: Linear Bound Phenogram
Super Robot Wars V
Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization
Tales of Zestiria
Tokyo Xanadu eX+
Toukiden 2
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception
Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth
Valkyria Chronicles Remastered
Warriors All-Stars
Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Ys Origin
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma

-- Personal Computer -- 2 total --
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky First Chapter
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter

-- Nintendo 3DS -- 2 total --
Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson
Tales of the Abyss

Completed Games Collection of 2019:
  • #01 | Yakuza 0 (for PlayStation 4)
  • #02 | Yakuza Kiwami (for PlayStation 4)
  • #03 | Onimusha: Warlords (for PlayStation 4)
  • #04 | Kingdom Hearts III (for PlayStation 4)
  • #05 | El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (for PlayStation 3)
  • #06 | Lollipop Chainsaw (for PlayStation 3)
  • #07 | Attack on Titan: Wings of Freedom (for PlayStation 4)
  • #08 | Akiba's Trip 2: Undead & Undressed (for PlayStation 4)
  • #09 | Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition (for PlayStation 4)
  • #10 | Ys I Chronicles+ (for PC/Steam)
  • #11 | Ys II Chronicles+ (for PC/Steam)
  • #12 | Spyro the Dragon HD (for PlayStation 4)
  • #13 | Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage HD (for PlayStation 4)
  • #14 | Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon HD (for PlayStation 4)
  • #15 | Tekken Tag Tournament HD (for PlayStation 3)
  • #16 | Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Prologue (for PlayStation 3)
  • #17 | Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy HD (for PlayStation 3)
  • #18 | Taiko no Tatsujin V Version (for PlayStation Vita)
  • #19 | Utakumi 575 (for PlayStation Vita)
  • #20 | Marvel's Spider-Man: The City That Never Sleeps (for PlayStation 4)

Platinum Trophy Collection:
#01 | 2014 | Saints Row: The Third (for PlayStation 3)
#02 | 2015 | JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle (for PlayStation 3)
#03 | 2015 | Hyperdimension Neptunia (for PlayStation 3)
#04 | 2015 | Dekamori Senran Kagura (for PlayStation Vita)
#05 | 2015 | Steins;Gate (for PlayStation 3)
#06 | 2015 | NieR (for PlayStation 3)
#07 | 2015 | No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise (for PlayStation 3)
#08 | 2015 | Asura's Wrath (for PlayStation 3)
#09 | 2015 | Saints Row IV (for PlayStation 3)
#10 | 2015 | The Darkness II (for PlayStation 3)
#11 | 2016 | Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 (for PlayStation 3)
#12 | 2016 | Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater HD (for PlayStation 3)
#13 | 2016 | Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus (for PlayStation Vita)
#14 | 2016 | Gravity Rush (for PlayStation Vita)
#15 | 2016 | Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory (for PlayStation 3)
#16 | 2016 | Resogun (for PlayStation 4)
#17 | 2016 | Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (for PlayStation Vita)
#18 | 2016 | Game of Thrones: A Telltale Game (for PlayStation 4)
#19 | 2017 | Miracle Girls Festival (for PlayStation Vita)
#20 | 2017 | Senran Kagura Estival Versus (for PlayStation 4)
#21 | 2017 | The Wolf Among Us (for PlayStation 4)
#22 | 2017 | Final Fantasy XV (for PlayStation 4)
#23 | 2017 | Amplitude (for PlayStation 4)
#24 | 2017 | Root Letter (for PlayStation 4)
#25 | 2017 | IA/VT -Colorful- (for PlayStation Vita)
#26 | 2017 | Persona 4: Dancing All Night (for PlayStation Vita)
#27 | 2017 | Gravity Rush Remastered (for PlayStation 4)
#28 | 2017 | NieR: Automata (for PlayStation 4)
#29 | 2017 | The Silver Case HD (for PlayStation 4)
#30 | 2017 | Steins;Gate 0 (for PlayStation 4)
#31 | 2017 | Under Defeat HD (for PlayStation 3)
#32 | 2017 | Tales from the Borderlands (for PlayStation 4)
#33 | 2017 | Dragon Ball Z Budokai HD Collection (for PlayStation 3)
#34 | 2017 | Life is Strange (for PlayStation 4)
#35 | 2017 | Sword Art Online: Lost Song (for PlayStation 4)
#36 | 2017 | Crash Bandicoot HD (for PlayStation 4)
#37 | 2017 | Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back HD (for PlayStation 4)
#38 | 2017 | Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped HD (for PlayStation 4)
#39 | 2017 | Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (for PlayStation 4)
#40 | 2018 | Corpse Party: Blood Drive (for PlayStation Vita)
#41 | 2018 | Persona 5 (for PlayStation 4)
#42 | 2018 | Zero Escape: The Nonary Games (for PlayStation 4)
#43 | 2018 | Persona 4: Dancing All Night [Japanese Version] (for PlayStation 4)
#44 | 2018 | Marvel's Spider-Man (for PlayStation 4)
#45 | 2019 | Akiba's Trip 2: Undead & Undressed (for PlayStation 4)
#46 | 2019 | Spyro the Dragon HD (for PlayStation 4)
#47 | 2019 | Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage HD (for PlayStation 4)
#48 | 2019 | Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon HD (for PlayStation 4)
#49 | 2019 | Tekken Tag Tournament HD (for PlayStation 3)
#50 | 2019 | Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy HD (for PlayStation 3)
#51 | 2019 | Taiko no Tatsujin V Version (for PlayStation Vita)
#52 | 2019 | Utakumi 575 (for PlayStation Vita)

Back