What Games Are You Playing?

so... after putting it off for a year i'm finally starting on witcher 3

i was told to prepare for feels and, well, my body is ready

Been playing the Destiny: Rise of Iron expansion, gotta say they're having a laugh charging £25 for this. I mean I'm having fun but that's mainly because the core gameplay loop of Destiny is actually pretty solid, the added content is small here though (although I've yet to do the raid but I hear it's pretty forgettable and doable in 2 hours). So in the end, fun? Yes. Worth £25? No chance.

Kind of par for the course with Destiny so far. The game was content-light to begin with, and I've kind of got used to that. For what it's worth, £25 for this feels like more value for money than £40-£50 for No Man's Sky.

The irony is that of all the games I've played over the past few years, Destiny is the only one I keep coming back to again and again. I still find it super satisfying to play - although to be fair I usually avoid grinding, and once I hit the 'wall' I typically stop playing until the next expansion comes out / only play it super casually as something to do while I listen to podcasts.

I found Destiny to be a terrible game, 5/10 at the most. I still don't understand it's popularity.
The story is barely there, there's not many maps even with the expansions. It lacks enemy variety & the guns impact is unsatisfying.

I spent most of the game stumbling through blindly with not a clue what to do, where to go or what was going on because the game never really explains much of anything to you. Friend I was playing with had the same issues.

As I say I love the core gameplay loop of Destiny, it gives me the same sorta feeling that something like Diablo does (granted, Diablo does it A LOT better). With that said I remember buying the base game when it came out, I wasn't gonna get it after the beta but a bunch of my mates picked it up and were bugging me, I was too lazy to pop down the road to Tesco so bought it from xbox live (on the 360) for like £55 and we finished it so damn fast....never felt so ripped off in my life lol but like Lutga I keep coming back, I do hope leaving the 360/ps3 behind means Destiny 2 can actually be what I wanted Destiny to be from the off.

Last edited:
I think it definitely comes back to that core gameplay loop - it's interesting you brought up Diablo has that scratched exactly the same itch for me, same thing with Borderlands. I just love games that centre around a loot mechanic, as there's always that 'ooh, what will drop this time' feel that keeps you coming back. I find the gunplay super satisfying too, and more rewarding than say the twitchy speed of a COD (which to be fair I lapped up when I was younger).

Shooters and RPGs have always been my two favourite game types - and Destiny is right in that sweet spot between the two.

I think it definitely comes back to that core gameplay loop - it's interesting you brought up Diablo has that scratched exactly the same itch for me, same thing with Borderlands. I just love games that centre around a loot mechanic, as there's always that 'ooh, what will drop this time' feel that keeps you coming back. I find the gunplay super satisfying too, and more rewarding than say the twitchy speed of a COD (which to be fair I lapped up when I was younger).

Shooters and RPGs have always been my two favourite game types - and Destiny is right in that sweet spot between the two.

Yeah Borderlands is another game I love for that very reason, I even suffer through the awful writing and ****** meme jokes for it lol. I'm the same with cod, haven't bought one for a long time, haven't really enjoyed one since 4. I'm still pretty salty that the remaster of 4 isn't available on it's own as I have very fond memories of it, was pretty much the first online game me and my mates all played together and we had a great laugh. Maybe for the best, we all have jobs/families/responsibilities now days so probably wouldn't really get to play together (That's actually an issue with raiding on Destiny, no way are 6 of us gonna be free at the same time now days :().

Been playing a little more Street Fighter V as of late, since Urien is finally out. They've nerfed him quite significantly since his story mode incarnation though, which is a shame.

Still fun as hell to play though.
Nice stuff. I've not had a chance to play him yet, glad to see his glorious near naked skin is still an option (and the fact he's wearing shades is hilarious) lol Maybe grab the season pass before it goes off sale tonight and give him a try.

Last edited:
I've not had a chance to play him yet, glad to see his glorious near naked skin is still an option (and the fact he's wearing shades is hilarious)
Yeah, if you use the hidden trick to get his almost-nude costume (it's not a separate option, you pick a costume as normal then hold down some buttons during the loading screens), he keeps the shades if you picked his story costume, or the long hair if you picked his premium one.

It's great.

Yeah I've still never done a raid in Destiny - mainly because a) I don't have time and b) I don't like the idea of having to be in a pre-made group to do it - you need to be a really high level player, and if you make mistakes, you know you're letting the side down. Same problem which pretty much stopped me playing Final Fantasy 14.

I've mostly finished with Dragon Age Origins, just have to do the Golems DLC then I'm done with it. I struggled to get accustomed to it at first, but over time I got a feel for it and now can say that I enjoyed it thoroughly, it might even be in my top 10 X360 games. After that I'll have to choose between Dragon Age 2, Bioshock Infinte and Final Fantasy Type-0, and to be honest I'm leaning towards FF right now (because I heard someone compare it to FF8, and that comparison will always get my attention). I've been also playing Resident Evil HD from time to time, the nostalgia is strong with that one.

I finished Tales of Xillia in the end! Just waiting to buy Xilla 2 when it's next on sale now :)

I spent yesterday and the majority of this afternoon playing Azure Striker Gunvolt 2. I really enjoyed the first game and while the second is quite short (I completed both story routes in 8 hours), it was more of the same gameplay that I enjoyed from the first game. Adding in a second character to play as was a good idea as well and kept things fresh. I just wish they'd put the effort into making it a bit longer, I wouldn't have been against paying say £20 for twice the content (it's on sale for £10 atm).

I finished up the main story in Senran Kagura Estival Versus, just need to go through the characters stories.

Made a start on Dragonball Xenoverse, really enjoying it so far.

So I haven't cleared any games for a while but just managed to Platinum Criminal Girls 2.

I have to say that while it was decent the first game was better, however the censorship was hugely improved over the first game. No more purple fog yay just silence and minor art changes. I may be (totally am) a huge pervert but the motivating is hot.

Final boss mechanics are wierd though the fight starts hard but gets easier as time passes which is kind of backwards if you ask me.

Best girl? Tough call that one. Has to be harem option of course. There's a trophy for that too heh

So i finished my first playthrough on Metroid Fusion in about 7 years and i was able to complete it in 2 hours and 10 minutes with about 78% collected. Was happy with it but still a bit frustrated i forgot a couple of the routes in that time, my time had gone up by about 30 minutes or so which was depressing. Was aiming for sub 20% if possible, maybe i can do that again on another run later though.
On another note however, finally made a start on The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds yesterday and have put in about 4 hours so far. For progress sakes, i've already got to Lorule and finished 2 of the 7 major dungeons and collected about 50 of the Maiamias and bought out nearly 5 of the items in the store. I like the ability to choose where to go in this one. it's a nice non-linear experience that doesn't feel forced at all. not only that i feel like the game, while very quick paced, isn't too fast to play at all. Which is nice. It's the kind of game i needed honestly. Something that i could play through fairly quickly but doesn't feel like it's losing anything in the process. So far if you've not played it, i highly recommend it! The nostalgia in the game is superb too. Link to the Past fans no doubt will enjoy this one as i have.

On another note however, finally made a start on The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds yesterday and have put in about 4 hours so far. For progress sakes, i've already got to Lorule and finished 2 of the 7 major dungeons and collected about 50 of the Maiamias and bought out nearly 5 of the items in the store. I like the ability to choose where to go in this one. it's a nice non-linear experience that doesn't feel forced at all. not only that i feel like the game, while very quick paced, isn't too fast to play at all. Which is nice. It's the kind of game i needed honestly. Something that i could play through fairly quickly but doesn't feel like it's losing anything in the process. So far if you've not played it, i highly recommend it! The nostalgia in the game is superb too. Link to the Past fans no doubt will enjoy this one as i have.

How are you finding the story so far? I really enjoyed the freedom that ALBW gave us but it felt like that because of the fact you could easily choose where to go next that the story really suffered - to the point where I felt like there was little to no story in the middle. ^^;

I've been playing XCOM 2, which has eaten up an awful lot of my time with the whole "just one more mission" syndrome. It's similar in many ways to the previous game but it's different enough that it still feels like a new experience. The resistance fighting setting is well integrated into the gameplay mechanics and makes for a fun and interesting spin on the idea of XCOM. On the downside, level design suffers a little since there aren't as many UFOs or alien structures to fight through but the actual layout of the levels can be a bit more varied than in the previous game (I think they're randomised/procedurally generated).

The setting gives you a bit more strategic freedom since you don't have a council to answer to and the only absolute defeat condition is if you fail to stop the major alien scheme (rather than being able to simply lose too much support from a few bad missions). It's interesting because losses are still felt but there's more opportunity to decide what you consider to be acceptable losses rather than something more obviously dictated by the game itself. Even losing a high ranked squad or an entire region aren't necessarily game ending.

While you have more freedom in general, the game also has more random elements in terms of the missions and rewards available, so there's more of an emphasis on adapting to make the most of the opportunities you have rather than having a specific plan to follow precisely throughout the game. The same is probably true of missions, where time limits and other factors mean that you can't necessarily rely on the same tactics all of the time. The time limits could be an issue for some (though they're not in every mission) but I've only really once had a mission that I thought was somewhat unfair and that seems to be more of a design quirk to a specific mission type that is only occasionally likely to be a problem.

I'd say the game is generally a little tougher than the previous XCOM. Losses are almost inevitable and, even if you're playing well, you may still suffer due to bad luck. Injuries seem to be more likely (especially in the early stages) but this encourages building up several soldiers instead of focussing on a single elite squad and can actually add to the fun by encouraging more varied play. It's still a shame to see your favourite customised soldier out of action for two weeks but it's probably worth it overall.

More so than the previous game, I don't think XCOM 2 is entirely suited to people who feel they have to "win" every mission (or even every playthrough). That said, I'm not always the best at dealing with losses so it probably says something that I still enjoy the game very much. It does lean a little on the random element (for better and worse) but part of the fun can be in trying to minimise the impact of the random aspects through use of the tools you have available. The general concept of the game is that the odds are against you, so each success and victory tend to feel well earned.

Started playing Sword Art Online Re: Holllow Fragment on Saturday Night. When I first started playing I was completely overwhelmed by all the different options that appear on screen with little assistance particularly when you try to organise your skill's at the start and the way it's set out, took me a bit to figute out how to get to the exterior, but once you get your head around the way the mechanics work it's relatively simple to follow, you grab some quests, get your partner and go out and adventure, come back once you hit the boss room entrance, then go fight the boss with the appropriate partner.

So far I'm currently using a setup which includes a Spear as my main weapon which has been working well so far for me, kind of want to change it at some point but at the moment it's certainly working so I'm reluctant to make any drastic changes. Spent most time so far with Sinon, I have also used Silica a bit too, Also used Strea on one of the floors as well as a couple of the boss fights, Asuna & Lisbeth have only had outings with me in boss fights so far, currently taking Leafa out on the field as she needs some levelling. It's been fun so far, definitely interested to see how the game progresses on the latter floors!

Back