What Games Are You Playing?

In the last couple of weeks I've been on a mission to complete two games ahead of Dragons Dogma 2 and Rise of the Ronin both arriving on the same day.

Unicorn Overlord

This game was awesome and I highly recommend it for people who enjoy tactical RPG games. Vanillaware animations are top tier and the story and action have a good pace of delivery to ensure you're never bored. The game introduced some new systems and mechanics slowly and this allows even novice players of this genre to grasp how the game works without needing to read lots of instructions.

There is like a 6-7 hour demo you can try as well before buying it, they are that confident in the demo that they are willing to give you plenty of time to try it out.

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth

I've not played the OG FF7 games so hard to get nostalgic about things here, but I have played FF7 Remake part 1, the Intergrade DLC, and the Crisis Core one so I did enjoy seeing some throwbacks to events/places out of those.

With that said, I think that for the most part the story elements here were very good, I'll add some comments/issues I had in spoilers here as I don't want to spoil anything for people who haven't reached the end yet. I have a fair bit to add here so this will be quite long.

There are quite a few issues I had which stop this game being as good as it really should be. I could probably write more, but you guys may get the idea.

In no particular order:

Open World

Open world traversal was largely a pain and the open world locations were copy/paste objectives. Poor map design meant that there was usually only one route to get to something, and it could be that you need to traverse from elsewhere, or find a cave, or a hidden path or similar. I wish they made the map traversal a bit more open, more than one route to places to discover.

Gongaga jungle was the worst zone of them all. Nibelheim was the most fun to traverse as your chocobo could practically fly.

Chocobo bouncing off the smallest thing you bump into was meh as well, and the car driving into anything instantly stopped it dead as well. Physics engine not really at work here.

I hated how involved Chadley was as I don't like his character really, and every time you did something he'd give you a little video message and a chat. I did joke with him at the start and said I didn't remember him :D

Side Quests

A lot of side quests were kind of boring and simple. Side quests such as find ingredients for dinner, or go rescue some chickens, are simply lazy quest design. I wish they took a leaf out of Witcher 3's book and made each side quest interesting so they were always worth doing. I started skipping the later ones.

I feel like this game doesn't necessarily really respect your time, so it's happy to add filler to slow you down.

Example of a quest which just wasn't fun was the one where you had to rescue to bird in Corel. You have to visit 3 different bird cages and lay bait, and then re-visit all 3 locations again to complete the quest.

Mini Games

There are far, far too many mini games, and some of them were really not fun at all. It was almost a game of "what can become a mini game?". Highlights for worst mini games include:
  • Moogle babysitting
  • Cactuar protorelic (esp as Aerith)
  • Glide de Chocobo (which for some reason had no inverse ascend/descend control - every single flight based game I've ever played you pull down on the stick to go up!).
I quite liked Queens Blood but I had to change up my deck that I had been using to reach the end totally for the last fight.

Enemies

There were a lot of annoying enemies to fight to be honest, the combat in this game isn't that amazing to me to begin with, but when you throw in:
  • Flying enemies in general
  • Enemies that turn you into a frog
  • Enemies that petrify you
  • Enemies that become invincible (jellyfish)
  • Enemies that are hard to hit (cactuar)
  • Enemies that one shot kill you (or your whole party)
These kinds of things don't really make for fun or engaging fights.

I wish they transplanted the combat from Granblue Fantasy Relink into this because that had way more fun combat (to me).

Levelling Systems

They've turned everything into a levelling system, there is:
  • Your level
  • Your party level
  • Your crafting level
  • Your weapon level
  • Your relationship level with characters
  • Your Queens Blood level
  • Your Moogle vendor level
  • Materia levels
It felt like they just wanted to gamify everything. The weapon level/SP stuff really sucked from a visual point as well, I was mainly just putting points into whatever because trying to optimise this for all of your characters was just a chore I didn't want.

As a general note, the lack of continuation of your character from the 1st game kind of makes all of this levelling pointless as well, I suspect we'll get a brand new character set in the 3rd instalment as well.

Main Story

The main story was the best of the game really, but was probably 25% of my actual playtime, the rest was spent on sort of filler open world and quests. I completed this with an 82 hour save file, and with some stuff left not done still such as Gilgamesh island, because the thought of fighting two bosses at once instead of one was enough to put me off.

I tried to do basically everything I could though, some of the mini games I liked so I went for higher scores, some of the open world bits were OK so I didn't mind them, though it got a little zzz after the first 2-3 zones.

My least favourite main story bit was probably the Cait Sith section. I liked the boat section and the bit leading up to it where you get your own little squad of Shinra troops from the seventh.

The ending sequence was a little too long winded for it's own good I thought, with multiple phase/character Sephiroth battles, and the final move he does (the end is nigh) was a totally out of the blue thing which is a DPS check, if you fail, you have to start that bit of the fight again. I wouldn't mind but you also get no opportunity to swap gear or materia etc after this like 2 hour long battle starts, so if you get here and you can't finish it, you have to accept going quite far back or retrying this fight at least a few times.

As for the actual ending itself, honestly mostly just confusing, Aerith died, but she didn't, and then she is there helping you, but she's not there at the end, and only you can see her. As a general rule I dislike multiverse stories unless they can make it coherent enough to follow what is going on, here the "is this real?" vs "is this imaginary" played a little too often for me, this takes away impact of things as you're second guessing yourself as to whether it's a real event or not.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (PS5)

After 103 hours I finally beat it and did almost everything in-game and I've got to say I loved almost every second of it, GOTY for me so far and will likely stay it.

There is so much to say about this game due to how big it is so I will share my full thoughts at a later time but this was a beautiful game, so many great moments as well as fun gameplay (for the most part).

The wait for Part 3 is going to kill me but I still have a lot of other entries in the FF series to tide me over until then.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (PS5)

After 103 hours I finally beat it and did almost everything in-game and I've got to say I loved almost every second of it, GOTY for me so far and will likely stay it.

I'm really glad you liked it so much, I documented some issues I personally had with it but this is all subjective, and maybe I'd have liked it more if I had more nostalgia for the OG version.

I heard there is a patch today that improves performance and presumably some of those awful looking textures we had occasionally, especially on rocks.

In general news, I've bought a few games ready for some point in the future when I'm out of new releases to play, based on some conversations we had a while back in this thread.

Purchased The Surge 1 and 2 (double pack on Steam was about £5) and Nioh 2 which was in this months Humble choice for £9, can't really complain at these prices! Humble one also contained some other games, will keep Citizen Sleeper as that looked pretty cool.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
I finished it yesterday with almost 124 hours on the clock. I often start to lose interest in long games around the 50-hour mark, so it's testament to how good this was that it held my interest throughout. I'll be surprised if anything due out this year tops it as a potential Game of the Year contender.

That's not to say it's perfect. There was far too much copy-pasted map-marker-chasing filler from the Ubisoft school of open world design (I groaned when I saw the first radio tower). On the other hand, while Rebirth has vastly more side content than Remake, much of it is a lot better. The major sidequests are generally more varied and interesting than the ones in Remake, a few duds aside (that one with the damn chickens...). Chasing random map markers wasn't all pure busywork either, with the protorelic ones leading to some of the most entertaining moments in the game, and even things like accessing item caches and radio towers increasingly becoming environmenal puzzles that reminded me of pre-reboot Tomb Raider at times.

Combat has been developed and fine-tuned even further than Remake. Each character plays differently, keeping things interesting throughout. It's on a par with Bayonetta at this point, and makes a mockery of the simplistic combat that used to typify action RPGs.

Some of the minigames are as feature-rich and polished as standalone retail games. Chocobo racing is a massive upgrade over the original FFVII, now playing like a competent Mario Kart clone. I spent a ridiculous amount of time in the piano rhythm-action game. The real star of the minigames is Queen's Blood though, the first FF card game I've really enjoyed, and with a large amount of opponents, chess-style puzzles and gimmick-based challenges to keep things interesting. It even has its own storyline.

As for the main story, I loved almost all of it. A typical playthrough of the original FFVII takes me about 35 hours, with disc one being about 15, so one of the main things I wanted from the remakes was a chance to spend more time with the characters. The first two remakes have offered that in spades. It's great that it continues to lean into the quirkier moments of the original too.

Aside from some excessive open world bloat, my only real complaint is the last few hours of the main story.

Aerith's death is a scar that 90s gamers have carried for decades. Remake teased that things could be different this time, so I expected to come away from Rebirth's version of the Forgotten Capital scene either relieved or heartbroken. I didn't expect to be confused and frustrated. It's never a good sign when I immediately have to hit the internet to read up on conflicting theories about what the hell just happened. As far as I can tell, there are a few possible interpretations:

1) After entering the portal of light, Cloud becomes untethered from reality and is essentially choosing his own version of events from a branching multiverse of possibilities. Aerith simultaneously dies and doesn't die, becoming a Schrodinger's cat who is observed as alive by Cloud, but dead by everyone else. I think Sephiroth is the only character who has been mentioning the multiverse though, so it's possible his talk about that is just further attempts to mess with Cloud's head. This version also doesn't track with the clash between Cloud's borderline cheerful demeanor at the end vs Aerith being more sorrowful as they part ways.

2) After entering the portal of light, Cloud enters a realm that overlaps with the lifestream, enabling him to see spirits of the dead. In this interpretation, the world(s) where Zack survives aren't other dimensions, but rather dreamworlds within the lifestream (ie. Zack didn't actually survive). Aerith dies, but Cloud's already broken mind can't cope, so just like his memories of the Nibelheim Incident changed, we see him altering his perception of what's happening to Aerith in real time. Cloud is then seeing Aerith's spirit. She knows that she died, but Cloud thinks that he saved her, which explains the disconnect between their moods in the final scenes. When Cloud asks "Can you find your way back?" and she says, "It's like a second home", Cloud is referring to the Forgotten Capital, but Aerith is referring to the lifestream. This would act as pay-off for the earlier talk about death being a homecoming. Advent Children supports this theory, since Cloud sees and hears Aerith and Zack's spirits at times.

3) In the original FFVII, the Sephiroth who appears in disc 1 is his spirit that's infected the lifestream. It's possible this is still the case, but Rebirth also introduces the idea that "Jenova can imitate people you hate, people you love." Sephiroth uses this line to attempt to turn Cloud against Tifa multiple times, but we never get a real payoff for it in Rebirth. Perhaps the Sephiroth we see in Rebirth is Jenova, and so is the Aerith that Cloud sees after her death. If Jenova is also the one altering Cloud's memories of his past, this theory would track. Sephiroth being Jenova in disguise in Rebirth seems a possibility, but I'm not sure about this theory for Aerith though, since I would have expected a more sinister twist on her in the final scene instead of her somber farewell.

4) The worst option is if the writers might just be hedging their bets and there is no real explanation yet. Either they didn't want to lock in a definite answer about whether Aerith lives or dies until the final part of the trilogy or part 3 will remain equally ambiguous about her fate in an awkward attempt to appease both people who want her to survive and those who want an accurate retelling of the original.

Theory 2 makes the most sense to me, but the execution of that final chapter is so confusing that I just don't know if it's likely.

I've been trying out a lot of bullet heavens and have been really into Picayune Dreams lately. An interesting and surreal postapocalyptic sci-fi story, music that gets your blood pumping and fun bullethell bosses make it a winner for me:)

The unknown journey continues and it's one game that was played throughout the whole month!

I have decided to delve into gameplay spoilers for various aspects so if you want to play the game blind I suggest you ignore this post!

#06 - Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (PlayStation 5)
Acquired: February 2024

Final Fantasy VII is a game that many people have played and considered to be one of their favourites throughout their gaming history. My first experience was through Final Fantasy VII Advent Children which was a fun CG anime film, but I did get the opportunity to play the original after playing the first part of this remake project. If you have seen my previous post, I won't go into too much detail about how I felt about the first part or the original, but both were great experiences.

After four years, the second part of the trilogy, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, has finally been released and it's such a journey that I struggle to describe how much content Square Enix has managed to jam pack into this game. The developers have put a lot of love into this game and it definitely shows throughout the whole experience, from its storyline to the world-building and even the mini-games and side quests available. I will get straight to the point - Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is technically a 10/10 game and one of the best games created for this entire franchise. There are a few issues but a vast majority of what this game has done is pretty much perfect.

Let's break the game down into different sections.

18e2eabde9966-screenshotUrl (1).jpg

The story:
We continue where we left off from Final Fantasy VII Remake, leaving Midgar and travel around the world. You visit various places from towns and facilities to entertainment centres and jungles. If you played the original, this pretty much adapts the remainder of Disc 1's content which doesn't sound like much but is a great stopping point for what the journey provides. Each chapter is filled with interesting plot points and great character development for each member of the team. While this is re-treading the same key points from the original, there are expanded sections for additional context and a new direction to bring more surprises to the mix. I'm not going to spoil that much, because its definitely an intriguing direction for what's to come.

Square Enix seems to have implied that while newcomers can jump into the remake trilogy without prior knowledge of any of the previous instalments within the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII world, it is worth checking them out to experience some specific moments throughout this game and the next one that may add more context to what is going on (which explains why Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII was remastered and why Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete was re-released in theaters recently).

The ending has made a lot of people feel disappointed or confused, and even I had the same type of reaction, but looking back at it more and knowing the full context, I think it's a pretty genius and bold move to take. Knowing the context it definitely makes sense on why Square Enix decided to go with this direction and I do think the third game will make up for it.

18e8ad53bb381-screenshotUrl.jpg

The journey:
The pacing is pretty much spot on and I was honestly side tracked by a lot of the game's side content for a majority of my time playing through this game. Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is a massive game and it shows. You have large maps that are pretty much all connected to each other and fast travel is what it says it would do well. You can use chocobos to traverse in a lot of areas, which does require you to find one first which was a fun little mini-game. Some chapters are linear but much like the original they have been expanded upon to make it feel like a complete experiences. Your party does split up from time to time into different groups which adds to the variety and being able to control and experience each character's mechanics and gameplay during combat.

Relationships are also a key factor during your journey throughout the story. Certain dialogue choices and side content will build your relationship to each character, whether its with Tifa or Aerith or even Yuffie who tags along in the early parts of the story. While this won't impact the ending, it does add for nice rewarding side content moments during two chapters of the story. Plus, if you didn't receive the outcome you wanted you do have another opportunity to see the other characters specific scenes when you finish the game.

A number of characters do make a return, most notably Chadley who continued to provide Cloud and his team with various notes about the enemies and world surroundings. We are introduced to MAI who is very similar to Chadley but is mainly there to support you with the enemy World Intel segments. While I have no issue with her presence I do consider both of them to be over welcoming during the journey and wish they toned it down unless there was a specific story arc involved.

18e8ad56b7c10-screenshotUrl.jpg

The combat:
Final Fantasy VII Remake's combat was a great balance between the classic turn-based gameplay and modern real-time action. What I love about this mixture is how they are essentially taking the Kingdom Hearts game formula and using the menu selection to slow down time to which you can make different decisions throughout the battles. This is great so that you can calm yourself during intense situations especially when dealing with boss fights.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth takes what worked with the original and expands upon it with new mechanics added to the mix. Synergy is the biggest inclusion which allows you to team up with a partner and create special combos to help build your ATB gauge or have unlimited MP support or even an extra level to your limit break. While it does sound a bit confusing at first, it works really well and you can use the game's level up system to build your character's abilities like additional Synergy links and more limit breaks.

In Remake, each weapon had their own system where you can use points to build up its power. They have replaced that whole concept with an overall character build using folios which covers everything altogether, which to me works much better for pacing and progression. They do still keep the unique abilities that you need to keep using to permanently add it to your roster as well as materia slots that differ on how many are available for each weapon. Each weapon also has three mini slots that allow you to add extra damage power or MP support depending on your preference for each character. The equipment setup also returns so you have one that adds additional materia slots and another for things like more attack power or resistance to specific materia attacks.

Also a new addition to the combat setup are Item Transmuters which allows you to create new items and equipment which is very handy for situations where you run out of items and need more. You will see so many objects throughout the land that you just can't help but pick up and these are all relevant to this new menu selection. The more you transmute, the more items you can create.

18e28f270d215-screenshotUrl.jpg

The side content:
Good lord there is so much content in this game it's insane. Within four years, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth has provided the best value of money than I have ever seen from any recent game in terms of the side content. Every mini-game and storyline introduced here feels polished and relevant to the world that has been built. There's so much creative ideas as well for the side quests, ranging from teaming up with a regime to defeat a monster, to chasing some weird gang members, to even throwing a box in front of a chicken to lure them from one area to another.

Alongside the side quests is the World Intel which is basically this game's take on the Ubisoft concept. Now this is both a benefit and drawback to the world that has been created. Traversing throughout each area is great and its cool to find new stuff throughout, but there are some areas that do feel a bit too overwhelming that it can be a bit too much. Saying that, I found that the mini-games were spot on and all were different to each other in each area which adds to the freshness of the content. In each World Intel area you have enemies that you can fight with specific challenges namely staggering and weaknesses, finding a few lifestream pools that provide a bunch of resources for your Item Transmuter, and three sets of special caves that will support you in your battles against Summons on the Chadley simulator.

The most important side content is the Protorelic storyline which are a four-part segment in each area that involves the character Gilgamesh. You see him throughout and each area you complete you discover more about his character but along the way it also expands the stories for many side characters you interact with, one area in particular provides additional relevance to what happened in the previous game.

Fort Condor from Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade does make a return, but only for one specific section and it's different to before. While it has some neat additions like adding special characters to support you with big attacks/defences, I do feel this is a downgrade to the previous iteration. Since its exclusive to a specific section, you have to deal with a fixed build which adds more difficulty to the mix. Its a shame as I did enjoy the mini-game prior, but the other mini-games make up for it.

View attachment Card game.mp4

In fact, the best and most addictive new addition to the mini-game line-up is Queen's Blood, which is a card game with the aim to receive a large number of points against your opponent. There are three lanes and its not designed to be based on having the most lanes but rather the most points, so one lane can have 30 points and the other two lanes could total 25 points overall and you still would win, which makes for a great tactical approach. The cards have three tiers and the bigger the tier, the stronger the card will be in the lane but you have to work your way through your lane setup and make sure your opponent doesn't steal your slots. There are dozens of cards you can collect, and each card you put down adds points and depending on what you pick buffers as well to help support you against your opponent. While it does feel like you may lose, it is very rewarding winning each match you face and I was able to complete all of the ones related to the ranks. There are also puzzle versions for more challenges if you want more.

There's dozens of mini-games included in this game it's insane. Returning from the original is Chocobo racing which can be very challenging if you don't have the right gear for your chocobo and which difficulty you're on (for instance if you play the game on Hard difficulty the AI gets tougher as well in the race). Also available is a linear bike game which is pretty much the same controls you would have experienced in Final Fantasy VII Remake but points based. The smashing boxes for points mini-game from Final Fantasy VII Remake also makes a return though I don't know if its as overkill as the one Yuffie experienced in Intergade. Similar to Fort Condor, there's Gears and Gambits which is about you strategically placing robots in the field to defeat the centre boss whilst also managing your defences in three corners of the area. And of course there's the music rhythm aspects that are also available, namely with the piano which is great but it can be a challenge if your controller has drifting issues like mine did which was a nuisance. There's even more but I don't want to spoil too much.

18e8ad5bb1265-screenshotUrl.jpg

Other notes:
Because I prefer to have a better framerate than resolution for my playthroughs, I did select performance mode which is 60 frames per second. The game runs really well though there are some occasional dips here and there. The graphics look really good especially during the cutscenes but some characters up close do look like they have seen some ****. Speaking of character models, I do think the character models for the NPCs are inconsistent in design, and what I mean by this is that you can tell who is important by how their faces look. It's a shame because it does take you out of the experience at times.

I do love the amount of detail on the character NPCs in each area, especially in towns which makes the game feel more lively. I also noticed each character is different so it doesn't feel lazy and reused a lot which is good. The monster variety is also pretty solid and each one can be accessed to identify their weaknesses and how to stagger them.

The moogles have returned! They are also a mini-game but there are rewards for finishing them. Yes, they do indeed have teeth but nothing wrong with that and I would rather have this than how they handled it in the previous game.

Also yes, Cait Sith is Scottish which is cool.

18e2ead10c587-screenshotUrl.jpg

To conclude:
I have spent a total of 93 hours throughout this journey. I finished the story at the 83 hour mark and spend extra time to wrap some content. I tackled all of the World Intel content, acquired the summons available in Chadley's simulator, completed the main ranks of Queen's Blood, reached a Rank A or S with the piano, won all of the Chocobo races, and even achieved a few of the missable trophies. If you want to go for the Platinum trophy, you will end up playing the game twice (second time on Hard difficulty) and have to 100% the mini games in its entirety. But again this is all optional and I just focused on finishing the content without aiming for any top ranks in general.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is a game that I honestly didn't pay that much attention to over the past few years, and I'm loving the experience of going into it with very little information. It's made the journey a lot more exciting because there's surprises to explore. Now I have spoiled the gameplay surprises pretty much with this post I will admit but there's so much content that I haven't even touched with this game and I would love to see more people check it out. Again, this is not a perfect game by all means and much like how we went from Remake to Rebirth, Square Enix will no doubt keep the feedback going from Rebirth to their untitled third game in the trilogy. In fact my only negative is they should tone down the World Intel stuff whilst keeping the mini-games and content, which would help with the pacing and avoid feeling a bit dragged out in parts. But this is a minor issue to an otherwise well done game. I do hope Square Enix is able to live up to the expectations now presented here with this massive game in the next unknown journey, but much like how I feel about Kingdom Hearts I'm confident it'll work out.

For now, playing through this game has made me interested in revisiting Advent Children once again, and maybe even check out any of the other Final Fantasy games I have in my backlog. Namely Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion, Final Fantasy VIII Remastered, and even Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin.

My backlog so far:
#​
PC/Steam Backlog - Game Name:​
Genre:
1​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the SkyTurn-Based RPG
2​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SCTurn-Based RPG
#​
PlayStation 3 Backlog - Game Name:​
Genre:
1​
3D Dot Game HeroesAction RPG
2​
Bleach: Soul ResurrecciónFighting
3​
Castlevania: Lords of ShadowAction, Hack n Slash
4​
CatherinePuzzle
5​
Drakengard 3Action RPG
6​
Eternal SonataTurn-Based RPG
7​
FolkloreAction RPG
8​
Gran Turismo 5 Academy EditionRacing
9​
inFAMOUSAction
10​
inFAMOUS 2Action
11​
Katamari ForeverPuzzle
12​
Prince of PersiaAction, Platformer
13​
PuppeteerPlatformer
14​
SEGA RallyRacing
15​
Sly Cooper: Thieves in TimeAction, Platformer
16​
Split/Second: VelocityRacing
17​
StrangleholdAction, Shooter
18​
Tears to Tiara II: Heir of the OverlordTactical RPG, Visual Novel
19​
Way of the Samurai 4Action
#​
PlayStation 4 Backlog - Game Name:Genre:
1​
13 Sentinels: Aegis RimTactical RPG, Visual Novel
2​
AI: The Somnium FilesAdventure, Visual Novel
3​
Black Clover: Quartet KnightsAction, Fighting
4​
Bullet Girls PhantasiaAction, Shooter
5​
Burnout Paradise RemasteredRacing
6​
The Caligula Effect: OverdoseTurn-Based RPG
7​
Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New ChampionsSports
8​
Catherine Full BodyPuzzle
9​
Chaos;ChildVisual Novel
10​
Conception Plus: Maidens of the Twelve StarsTurn-Based RPG
11​
CRYSTARAction RPG
12​
Cyberdimension Neptunia: Four Goddesses OnlineAction RPG
13​
Danganronpa 1 ReloadVisual Novel
14​
Danganronpa 2 ReloadVisual Novel
15​
Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair GirlsAction, Shooter
16​
Danganronpa V3: Killing HarmonyVisual Novel
17​
Date A Live: Rinne Utopia (Rio-Reincarnation)Visual Novel, Dating Sim
18​
Date A Live II: Ars Install (Rio-Reincarnation)Visual Novel, Dating Sim
19​
Date A Live III: Twin Edition: Rio ReincarnationVisual Novel, Dating Sim
20​
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth - Hacker's MemoryTurn-Based RPG
21​
Disaster Report 4: Summer MemoriesAdventure, Simulation
22​
Dissidia Final Fantasy NTArcade, Fighting
23​
Dragon Quest Heroes IIAction RPG, Musou
24​
Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive EditionTurn-Based RPG
25​
Dragon's Crown ProAction RPG
26​
Dragon's Dogma: Dark ArisenAction RPG
27​
Fairy TailTurn-Based RPG
28​
Fate/Extella LinkMusou
29​
Final Fantasy IXTurn-Based RPG
30​
Final Fantasy VIII RemasteredTurn-Based RPG
31​
Full Metal Panic! Fight! Who Dares WinTactical RPG
32​
Gal*Gun 2On-Rails Shooter
33​
Gintama RumbleAction, Musou
34​
GOD EATER 3Action Hunter RPG
35​
Gravity Rush 2Action, Platformer
36​
The Great Ace Attorney: AdventuresVisual Novel
37​
The Great Ace Attorney 2: ResolveVisual Novel
38​
Gundam Breaker 3 BREAK EDITIONAction, Arcade
39​
The Hong Kong MassacreTop-Down Shooter
40​
Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Infinite CombateAction RPG
41​
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of HeavenFighting
42​
Kotodama: The 7 Mysteries of FujisawaPuzzle, Visual Novel
43​
LangrisserTactical RPG
44​
Langrisser IITactical RPG
45​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold SteelTurn-Based RPG
46​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IITurn-Based RPG
47​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IIITurn-Based RPG
48​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IVTurn-Based RPG
49​
Legend of ManaAction RPG
50​
Megadimension Neptunia VIITurn-Based RPG
51​
Megadimension Neptunia VIIRTurn-Based RPG
52​
MELTY BLOOD: TYPE LUMINAFighting
53​
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja StormAction, Fighting
54​
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 2Action, Fighting
55​
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3Action, Fighting
56​
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4: Road to BorutoAction, Fighting
57​
NEO: The World Ends With YouAction RPG
58​
Neptunia Virtual StarsAction
59​
Neptunia x Senran Kagura: Ninja WarsAction
60​
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch RemasteredTurn-Based RPG
61​
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant KingdomAction RPG
62​
Nights of AzureAction RPG
63​
Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New MoonAction RPG
64​
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4Action, Musou
65​
One Piece: Unlimited World RedAction
66​
One Piece: World SeekerAction
67​
Our World Is EndedVisual Novel
68​
Persona 5 RoyalTurn-Based RPG
69​
Persona 5 StrikersAction RPG, Musou
70​
Phoenix Wright: Ace AttorneyVisual Novel
71​
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice for AllVisual Novel
72​
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and TribulationsVisual Novel
73​
Punch LineVisual Novel
74​
Raging LoopVisual Novel
75​
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-: Prophecy of the ThroneVisual Novel
76​
Robotics;Notes DaSHVisual Novel
77​
Robotics;Notes ELITEVisual Novel
78​
RUINERAction, Shooter
79​
SD Gundam G Generation Cross RaysTactical RPG
80​
SD Gundam G Generation GenesisTactical RPG
81​
Secret of ManaAction RPG
82​
Sengoku Basara 4: SumeragiMusou
83​
Senran Kagura Burst Re:NewalAction
84​
Shadow of the ColossusPlatformer
85​
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD RemasterTurn-Based RPG
86​
Star Ocean: First Departure RAction RPG
87​
Star Ocean: The Last Hope HD RemasterAction RPG
88​
Steins;Gate EliteVisual Novel
89​
Super Neptunia RPGTurn-Based RPG
90​
Super Robot Wars 30Tactical RPG
91​
Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon DwellersTactical RPG
92​
Super Robot Wars TTactical RPG
93​
Super Robot Wars XTactical RPG
94​
Sword Art Online: Fatal BulletAction RPG
95​
Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum Sessions!Music, Rhythm
96​
Tales of BerseriaAction RPG
97​
Tales of VesperiaAction RPG
98​
Theatrhythm Final Bar LineMusic, Rhythm
99​
Tokyo Xanadu eX+Action RPG
100​
Trials of ManaAction RPG
101​
Utawarerumono: Mask of DeceptionTactical RPG, Visual Novel
102​
Utawarerumono: Mask of TruthTactical RPG, Visual Novel
103​
Utawarerumono: Prelude to the FallenTactical RPG, Visual Novel
104​
Utawarerumono: ZanAction, Musou
105​
Valkyria Chronicles 4Tactical RPG
106​
Valkyria RevolutionAction RPG
107​
WipEout Omega CollectionRacing
108​
The Witch and the Hundred Knight Revival EditionAction RPG
109​
WORLDEND SYNDROMEVisual Novel
110​
Yakuza 3 RemasteredAction, Beat em up
111​
Yakuza 4 RemasteredAction, Beat em up
112​
Yakuza 5 RemasteredAction, Beat em up
113​
YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this WorldVisual Novel
#​
PlayStation 5 Backlog - Game Name:Genre:
1​
Alan Wake RemasteredAction, Shooter
2​
CONTROL Ultimate EditionAction, Shooter
3​
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII -Reunion-Action RPG
4​
Cyberpunk 2077Action
5​
Demon Slayer -Kimetsu no Yaiba- The Hinokami ChroniclesFighting
6​
The DioField ChronicleTactical RPG
7​
DOOM EternalAction, Shooter
8​
FANTAVISION 202XPuzzle
9​
ForspokenAction RPG
10​
Ghost of TsushimaAction, Adventure
11​
Ghostwire: TokyoAction, Survival Horror
12​
Granblue Fantasy Re:linkAction RPG
13​
GrimGrimoire OnceMoreReal-Time Strategy RPG
14​
HadesDungeon Crawler
15​
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle RFighting
16​
JudgmentAction, Beat em up
17​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails into ReverieTurn-Based RPG
18​
Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His NameAction, Beat 'em up
19​
Lost JudgmentAction, Beat em up
20​
Mobile Suit Gundam BATTLE OPERATION Code FairyAction
21​
MONARKTactical RPG
22​
Monochrome Mobius: Rights and Wrongs ForgottenTurn-Based RPG
23​
Neptunia ReVerseTurn-Based RPG
24​
Neptunia: Sisters vs SistersAction RPG
25​
One Piece: OdysseyTurn-Based RPG
26​
Pac-Man World Re-PacPlatformer
27​
Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit of Wonder LabyrinthMetroidvania RPG
28​
RelayerTactical RPG
29​
SD Gundam Battle AllianceAction RPG
30​
Soul Hackers 2Turn-Based RPG
31​
Star Ocean: The Divine ForceAction RPG
32​
Star Ocean: The Second Story RAction RPG
33​
Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy OriginAction Souls RPG
34​
Tactics Ogre RebornTactical RPG
35​
Tales of AriseAction RPG
36​
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2Sports
37​
Unicorn OverlordTactical RPG
38​
Valkyrie ElysiumAction RPG
39​
Yakuza 7: Like a DragonTurn-Based RPG
40​
Ys IX: Monstrum NoxAction RPG
41​
Yurukill: The Calumniation GamesShoot em up, Visual Novel
#​
PlayStation Classics (via PS5) Backlog - Game Name:Genre:
1​
Disney/Pixar's Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the RescuePlatformer
2​
Everybody's Golf 2Sports
3​
GrandiaTurn-Based RPG
4​
Kurushi Final: Mental BlocksPuzzle
5​
The Legend of DragoonTurn-Based RPG
6​
Twisted Metal 2Action, Racing
7​
Valkyrie Profile: LennethTurn-Based RPG
8​
Wild ArmsTurn-Based RPG
9​
Wild Arms 2Turn-Based RPG
#​
PlayStation Vita Backlog - Game Name:Genre:
1​
Bullet GirlsAction, Shooter
2​
Freedom WarsAction
3​
Valkyrie Drive BhikkhuniAction
#​
Nintendo Switch Backlog - Game Name:Genre:
1​
Akai Katana ShinBullet Hell, Shoot 'em up
2​
Avenger (Telenet Shooting Collection)Arcade, Shoot 'em up
3​
Blade Runner: Enhanced EditionAdventure, Point & Click
4​
Castlevania (Anniversary Collection)Action, Platform
5​
Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (Anniversary Collection)Action, Platform
6​
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (Anniversary Collection)Action, Platform
7​
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (Anniversary Collection)Action, Platform
8​
Castlevania: The Adventure (Anniversary Collection)Action, Platform
9​
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Advance Collection)Action, Platform
10​
Castlevania: Bloodlines (Anniversary Collection)Action, Platform
11​
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (Advance Collection)Action, Platform
12​
Castlevania: Dracula X (Advance Collection)Action, Platform
13​
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (Advance Collection)Action, Platform
14​
Contra (Anniversary Collection)Side-scrolling Shooter
15​
Contra Hard Corps (Anniversary Collection)Side-scrolling Shooter
16​
Contra III: The Alien Wars (Anniversary Collection)Side-scrolling Shooter
17​
Cursed to GolfSports, Platformer
18​
Cytus AlphaMusic, Rhythm
19​
DeathsmilesBullet Hell, Shoot 'em up
20​
Deathsmiles IIBullet Hell, Shoot 'em up
21​
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical FreezeAction, Platform
22​
Final FantasyTurn-Based RPG
23​
Final Fantasy Adventure (Collection of Mana)Action RPG
24​
Final Fantasy IITurn-Based RPG
25​
Final Fantasy IIITurn-Based RPG
26​
Final Fantasy IVTurn-Based RPG
27​
Final Fantasy VTurn-Based RPG
28​
Final Fantasy VITurn-Based RPG
29​
Fire Emblem: EngageTactical RPG
30​
Fire Emblem: Three HousesTactical RPG
31​
Gaiares (Telenet Shooting Collection)Arcade, Shoot 'em up
32​
Granada (Telenet Shooting Collection)Arcade, Shoot 'em up
33​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails from ZeroTurn-Based RPG
34​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails to AzureTurn-Based RPG
35​
The Legend of Nayuta: Boundless TrailsAction RPG
36​
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the WildAction RPG
37​
The Legend of Zelda: Link's AwakeningAction RPG
38​
Live A LiveTactical RPG
39​
Mario Kart 8 DeluxeRacing
40​
Metroid DreadMetroidvania
41​
Metroid Prime RemasteredAction, Shooter
42​
MUSYNXMusic, Rhythm
43​
New Super Mario Bros U DeluxePlatformer
44​
Octopath TravelerTurn-Based RPG
45​
Operation C (Anniversary Collection)Side-scrolling Shooter
46​
Paper Mario: The Origami KingTurn-Based RPG
47​
Powerslave ExhumedAction, Shooter
48​
Psychic Storm (Telenet Shooting Collection)Arcade, Shoot 'em up
49​
Radiant SilvergunBullet Hell, Shoot 'em up
50​
Rhapsody II: Ballad of the Little PrincessTurn-Based RPG
51​
Rhapsody III: Memories of Marl KingdomTurn-Based RPG
52​
River City Girls ZeroAction, Beat 'em ups
53​
Secret of Mana (Collection of Mana)Action RPG
54​
Senran Kagura Peach BallPinball
55​
Senran Kagura ReflexionsSimulation
56​
Shadow Man RemasteredAction, Adventure
57​
Super Castlevania IV (Anniversary Collection)Action, Platform
58​
Super Contra (Anniversary Collection)Side-scrolling Shooter
59​
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's FuryAction, Platformer
60​
Super Mario GalaxyAction, Platformer
61​
Super Mario OdysseyAction, Platformer
62​
Super Mario SunshineAction, Platformer
63​
Super Smash Bros. UltimateFighting
64​
Syd of Valis (SD Valis)Action, Platformer
65​
Trials of Mana (Collection of Mana)Action RPG
66​
Valis: The Fantasm SoldierAction, Platformer
67​
Valis IIAction, Platformer
68​
Valis IIIAction, Platformer
69​
Valis IVAction, Platformer
70​
Witch on the Holy NightVisual Novel
71​
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive EditionAction RPG
72​
Xenoblade Chronicles 2Action RPG
73​
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna - The Golden CountryAction RPG
74​
Yoshi's Crafted WorldAction, Platformer

gGNW84cl.png
The 2024 '40' Games Goal:
No.Game
Console​
Acquired​
Genre
1​
Quake
PS5​
2023​
Action, Shooter
2​
Quake II
PS5​
2023​
Action, Shooter
3​
MushimeSama
Switch​
2023​
Bullet Hell, Shoot 'em up
4​
Nioh 2 Remastered
PS5​
2022​
Action Souls RPG
5​
Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade
PS5​
2024​
Action RPG
6​
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
PS5​
2024​
Action RPG

FmtJjLOl.png

Completed Rise of the Ronin, that was a fun game I liked it, it's basically a mash up of Ghost of Tsushima (though less graphical fidelity) and Sekiro, some say it's also got Nioh vibes but I've not yet played that to confirm.

People said the graphics weren't great, I could see that was true at times, but at others it definitely had it's shining moments where it looked the part. Story stuff was interesting, and the combat was where it really counted.

Anyone who likes Ghost of Tsushima, Sekiro, and (probably) Nioh would presumably also like this.

Stellar Blade demo dropped and I played it, I'm now officially hyped for the full game. Whilst it clearly draws on several other games, it feels like a solid product with good direction, and I think it can carve out it's own niche without just being a clone of something else.

I don't expect this game to change the world, but it was fun to play and I'm sure I'll enjoy it when it lands!

Currently playing Dragons Dogma 2 on PC whilst I await Stellar Blade and Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes to drop later in April!

Regarding Stellar Blade, I looked into that after people were making a lot of noise about it being a fan service game, but what I found was pretty disappointing in that terms. It really doesn't have any fan service aside from a bit of jiggle and some shiny close fitting outfits.

It's so tame it makes me why it was marketed in that way, I guess it was to try to stand out after how prudish the Playstation marketplace has become.

We're pretty used to it from anime I think, but it's just the same kind of fan service you get in Bayonetta, Nier etc.

I think I'd play the game even without the fan service, but am not going to complain about it being there.

Llamasoft: The Jeff Minter Story
This is the latest in Digital Eclipse's line of 'interactive documentaries'. How you approach it will heavily guide what you get out of it. Billed as having over 40 games, if you're hoping for a good-value anthology of games to play, you'll probably be disappointed. Minter has spent much of his career iterating on the same handful of games repeatedly, and there are at least three versions of many of those titles included.

The next disappointment is how heavily the collection is weighted towards Minter's early career. There are some borderline unplayable Vic-20 games, and the bulk of the collection consists of titles for the Vic-20, Commodore 64 and Atari 8-bit. You do get the Jaguar version of Tempest 2000, a few Atari ST games, and an underwhelming new remaster of the original Gridrunner, but for the most part it stops abruptly at 1994. You don't get Space Giraffe, any of the iOS games, or anything previously released on a Playstation console. Granted, the documentary side continues further into Minter's career, but the included games are very much Jeff Minter: The Early Years.

If you instead approach this as a documentary and historical artefact, there's more to appreciate. It gives a good account of the career of one of gaming's most distinctive developers through a mix of video interviews, archival magazine features, text interviews snippets, and original handwritten development notes. In that context, having multiple ports of the same games lets you see how they were adapted to the hardware capabilities of each system, and how Minter experimented with gameplay formulas in successive versions.

Personally, I came away from this disappointed. I've been aware of Minter since the 80s, but never played his early games back then, due to having a Spectrum instead of a C64. Consequently, I don't have nostalgia goggles for these games, and many of them don't hold up today.

Well, I recently got Unicorn Overlord for my birthday and managed to get the platinum after a whopping 70 or so hours of not even opening my copy of FF7 Rebirth, that I also got for my birthday, until after completing this game, sequence breaking so that I can recruit Dinah as quickly as possible, going back to doing things in the proper order afterwards, realising that real life exists and having to actually do chores around the house before getting back to what really matters in life, playing more of this game and staying up until silly o clock in the morning doing so, eventually getting to the last boss only to find that I didn’t prepare properly so had to start the entire stage again and then unlocking the remaining trophies afterwards; I can confidently say that Unicorn Overlord is a very strong GOTY contender and has been an absolute ride throughout, it’s not often that I can put in 70 hours and still feel like I can keep playing but Vanillaware have pulled it off.

An exceptional strategy RPG.

I’ve sunk around 30 hours into Infinite Wealth and 1/3 of that feels like it was just for the Sujimon quest which I have to redo the final fight for as I was under-levelled for the events afterwards and got mullered.
Well almost 90 hours in now and just have a few more Sujimon to collect alongside the final dungeons. Lots to do in this game especially with the Sujimon and Dondoko island games taking around 10-15 hours to fully beat from a substory/fully ranking up perspective. The combat still doesn’t gel as well as just pummelling goons into submission but now I’ve got the right abilities and buffs very little seems to slow me down.

Finished Final Fantasy VII Rebirth. Originally I skipped a chunk of the side content in a later chapter to get to the ending, but then went back for everything I had interest in.

That was a lot of fun. The big issue I have with it is an unavoidable part of this Remake project. Because they had to make a game about the middle part of the story there isn’t a strong core plot. Which is fine and something the game mostly uses to it’s advantage. The pervious game was very dour and sometimes claustrophobic story set in a decrepit rotting cityscape as a party of heroes slowly assembles. Now the cast of embraced the great outdoors on their hunt for Sephiroth. Wide open areas, new locations, more variety in content, more colourful locations and a more relaxed approach. All of it really works for the game’s benefit because it enables them to focus on character dynamics and adventure. Resulting in a lot of really funny or heartfelt moments.

The combat is improved in a lot of ways. Cloud finally has a way of dealing with flying enemies that feels good. Tifa and Barrett didn’t need much tweaking so they are largely unchanged. Aerith more or less was completely retooled with completely new and unique mechanics that make her a lot better. Yuffie is ridiculously powerful. I’m less positive on the other new party members like Red XIII but they were solid enough. But individual abilities aren’t the only thing. They have introduced a whole range of Synergy Skills: moves that use two party members for various purposes and ultimate attacks that have additional benefits. You need to adjust to using these because they are vital to victory. While there aren’t as many new character specific abilities as I would want (a lot of them are abilities form the first game), magic feels more than before and with so many different tricks and tactics you have an overwhelming amount of combat mechanics to play with.

Some minor issues. Exploring environments is great fun. Climbing towers is not. Rebirth does not have the chops to make that type of climbing puzzle fun. While a lot of the side quests are amazing the way the game is structured means you can run all over the map, find an impressive ruined temple, go in and find it empty because this location exists for a quest you haven’t started yet. And some of the mini-games are just bad. All of them are optional but the piano mini game stands out as being particularly obnoxious. But the game also has an outstanding side activity called Queen’s Blood that I loved every time it came up. Along with a very diverse and excellently produced soundtrack.,

I'm using launchbox its a frontend for emulators it's free and payed but the free version is a bit limited so no big box mode unless you pay for it.IMG_20240413_203331.jpgIMG_20240413_203208.jpgIMG_20240413_202728.jpg

I’ve been playing Robocop Rogue City and though rather clunky in places (and not due to Murphy’s metal physical make up), it’s a decent title that’s elevated thanks to the returning performances from Peter Weller and Nancy Allen. One distraction for me so far though is that a lot of the enemy NPCs sound like Eddy from Ed Edd n’ Eddy but I don’t think Tony Sampson appears on the cast list.

Back