What games are you looking forward to in 2024?

Aeon

Student Council President
A new year means a new bunch of games on the horizon and I figured I’d ask which ones you are looking forward to this year, or even if there’s any that you can’t wait for.

For me personally it’s as follows.

Can’t wait

Dragon’s Dogma 2:
I’ve been waiting over a decade for the second “masterwork’s all you can’t go wrong” game and with Capcom actually being in their prime at the moment, I have a lot of faith that this one will turn out really well, I loved the first game and I genuinely cannot wait for the sequel.

Looking forward to

Eiyuden Chronicle Hundred Heroes
Rivals 2 (Or Rivals of Aether 2)
Unicorn Overlord
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth

I want to revive this post because I think a bit of forward looking on releases can be a good thing, and people may flag other things I haven't seen yet!

We've had a great year so far, for me the following titles have all been good/worth playing:
  • Persona 3 Reload
  • Granblue Fantasy: Relink
  • Unicorn Overlord
  • Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • Stellar Blade
Bit more on the fence about Dragons Dogma 2.

Eiyuiden Chronicles was my biggest disappointment of the year so far.

So what's next? I have a good list of interesting looking things coming out this year.

In no particular order these are some titles I think look interesting for the rest of the year:

Unending Dawn

AI Limit

Vindictus: Defying Fate

Crimson Desert
This looks absolutely nuts if they can pull off the game as shown

Black Myth Wukong

Last edited:
Pt 2. due to max youtube videos per post:

Metaphor: ReFantazio

Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance

Frostpunk 2
I absolutely loved Frostpunk 1

Visions of Mana
world looks great, but maybe looks a bit too happy compared to my usual dark story based games). Unsure if previous knowledge of the Mana series is needed.

Hellblade 2
This is on game pass day 1 so I'll be playing it on that

I have a couple of others I am keeping an eye on as early access titles as well. One is of course Hades 2, and the other is No Rest for the Wicked. Both are in early access currently but will wait for v1.0.

Last edited:
I've not got a PS5 yet, considering getting a PS5 Pro if the rumours of its existence are true. So I'm sticking with PS4 games for now. I similarly held off on buying a PS4 until the Pro version of that came out, and I didn't regret it. We have several Switch consoles in the house, but they belong to my kids and not to me...

It's a shame that all of Atlus' new/upcoming UK/US PS4 releases are digital-only. I prefer to have physical copies, so I buy the English-language South-East Asia discs from Play-Asia.

I recently finished Persona 3 Reload, it was great. Can't wait for the Episode Aigis expansion/epilogue later this year.

I've just started Unicorn Overlord, seems quite complicated so far, but I'm sure I'll get into it, Vanillaware games are always wonderful.

SMT V: Vengeance looks great. I did pick up a second-hand copy of the original version of SMT V for switch but never got around to starting. I prefer playing PS4

Metaphor Re:Fantazio should be amazing, so I'm hyped for that, hopefully the PS4 version runs ok compared to the more modern consoles.

I've pre-ordered the limited edition of PS4 Tsukihime: A Piece of Blue Glass Moon from Amazon.com, though I hear the art book will be censored, unlike the Switch version.

I'll also pick up the long-awaited official English version of Fate/Stay Night that's due at the end of the year. I think it's just coming to Switch/PC though. I'll probably get the Switch version.

Now at some point I really need to finish Fate/Samurai Remnant, Persona 5 Royal (I finished the original), Persona 4 Golden (also finished the original) and SMT III: Nocturne Remaster, plus start Anonymous;Code, GrimGrimoire OnceMore and Soul Hackers 2 on PS4, plus finish Slay the Princess and System Shock Remake on PC.

Clearly having a job and family is counterproductive to my valuable gaming time...

I want to revive this post because I think a bit of forward looking on releases can be a good thing, and people may flag other things I haven't seen yet!

We've had a great year so far, for me the following titles have all been good/worth playing:
  • Persona 3 Reload
  • Granblue Fantasy: Relink
  • Unicorn Overlord
  • Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • Stellar Blade
Bit more on the fence about Dragons Dogma 2.

Eiyuiden Chronicles was my biggest disappointment of the year so far.
Honestly, out of all the games I mentioned in the original post, I’ve only gotten around to properly playing Unicorn Overlord, though I do have FF7 Rebirth and seriously need to actually get around to playing it, I’m holding off on DD2 until Capcom fix the performance so that it can run at the level I’d expect from a modern console and as for Eiyuden Chronicle, I’ll probably wait until it’s on a sale or something.

I’m interested in Visions of Mana but I’ll withhold my hype until I know more about it, I might get SMT5 Vengeance but if it’s anything like Persona 5 then I know that I probably won’t have time to finish it.

I've not got a PS5 yet, considering getting a PS5 Pro if the rumours of its existence are true. So I'm sticking with PS4 games for now. I similarly held off on buying a PS4 until the Pro version of that came out, and I didn't regret it. We have several Switch consoles in the house, but they belong to my kids and not to me...

It's definitely coming I think it's a lot more than a rumour at this point, so yes you'd do well to await it at this point.

Clearly having a job and family is counterproductive to my valuable gaming time...

Haha so true!

If you've played Persona 4/5 before, I think I'd de-emphasise those on your list. Persona 5 Royal adds some nice touches but it also extends the game a lot, and you have to replay a lot of what you did before. I'd play new stuff you've not played yet on your list first. P5R is like 100+ hours now.

Honestly, out of all the games I mentioned in the original post, I’ve only gotten around to properly playing Unicorn Overlord, though I do have FF7 Rebirth and seriously need to actually get around to playing it, I’m holding off on DD2 until Capcom fix the performance so that it can run at the level I’d expect from a modern console and as for Eiyuden Chronicle, I’ll probably wait until it’s on a sale or something.

I’m interested in Visions of Mana but I’ll withhold my hype until I know more about it, I might get SMT5 Vengeance but if it’s anything like Persona 5 then I know that I probably won’t have time to finish it.

Excluding DD2 (which I did play) and Eiyuden (which I dropped) I'd say FF7R was probably the game I enjoyed the least out of my list there. the others I found more fun to play from an "am I enjoying this game" perspective. Probably an unpopular opinion as I know it's a beloved franchise, but I had more fun on the rest of them.

Back