What do you like the most about anime?

Your going to have more restrictions on an early-morning anime than you are on a late-night show. By the same token, your going to have more restrictions having a show on network television than you are on a more independent cable channel. That's just how it is.

I don't see why animation can do something "better". It can do it differently, sure, but better? It might not be constrained by stunts or retakes (though retakes in the form of voice acting would take place) but its not any less believable and it doesn't really affect anything. When CGI costs as little as it does now, though, its not like stunts even have to take place. It's true that some episodes (bottle episodes) are sometimes shot in one location or similar due to the budget being used on an explosion elsewhere, but that sometimes works out for the best and stops people using an CGI robot here and instead focuses on the characters -- but that's besides the point.

I don't watch an anime and think about all the poor souls that put there heart and soul into every single frame and getting poorly paid for it. It's probably on my mind, but I like to just get involved, in the way they would want me to. The same for film. It's hard work doing anything in an entertainment business and you are always going to be doing red-tape.

tl;dr, I just find it strange how people think anime can do stuff live-action can't. And then talk about the money side of things when its... meaningless. Sure, Avatar cost tons more than Ghost In The Shell, but it still done it.

By the looks of it though, I'm gonna go ahead and agree to disagree. :p

Even something with such an ostensibly down-to-earth setting as DRRR!! wouldn't work (or certainly, wouldn't work as well) as a live action TV show, imo. And there are definitely budget issues at work. We are not talking about what could theoretically be done in a TV show in a perfect world, we're talking about what could be done in the real world.

Linking in to the bugget side of things again since it cost as much to do the aliens, mecha and monsters as it does to do the guy walking down the street you can take longer to ell your story. A good example would be the Avatar tv series and the Movie (Last air bender not James Cameron). The movie may be visually stunning, but since the budget, as big as it was, could only stretch to one movie per book the missed out on so much of the back story, character development. and scene setting from the tv series.
Also the relative cheapness of animation means that cross genre work is easier. Comdey sci fi has bearly a hand full of shows in the west but over a hundred in anime. Historical supernatural like wise, would cost a lot to do normally, but anime its no different to school romance or urban drama.
It also helps that they produce a ot of sci fi and mecha shows which l like.

Mostly its because I like long story arcs, character development and great, dramatic battles and fights. Sometimes an anime just gets one point right, but that's enough. Sometimes they hit on several of them, and that's great.

Either way I can lose myself in front of a great piece of fiction, and that's all I really ask for.

For me, it's the genre-busting , originality and the awesome design ethic that yu see in the best shows.

Yeah, a lot of anime shows bear a passing similarity to one another if you hold them side by side. But each show I've seen has had its own unique charm. Even the less inspiring shows stand up as their own entities.

And dammit - nobody does robots like the Japanese!

Back