What did you RECEIVE today? PHOTOS EDITION!

I picked up some Junji Ito because I wanted to try it out, as you can see from the bookmark I have already started. Also my Monogatari import came, I unwrapped one because I wanted to see what materials an AoA set uses to justify the price, well anyway now I can see how it all ends :)

View attachment 12644

I hope for your sake you haven't thrown away Koyomimonogatari's belly band thing. The AoA fans will be outside your door with their pitchforks soon!

I hope for your sake you haven't thrown away Koyomimonogatari's belly band thing. The AoA fans will be outside your door with their pitchforks soon!

I still have it but.... why?

As far as I can see it only covers up the art and advertises what's on the disc.

Last edited:
I still have it but.... why?

As far as I can see it only covers up the art and advertises whats's on the disc.
Collector's completeness whatever issues. Also makes it look more fresh and new and thus has higher value.
I always keep mine, though sometimes I have them folded inside. (They do get damages quickly especially with books. Probably will do that with my JP xxxholic volumes, too, as not all of them in my bundle have them.
Kinda like the JP Obis though, they usually come with nice loglines.

Collector's completeness whatever issues. Also makes it look more fresh and new and thus has higher value.
I always keep mine, though sometimes I have them folded inside. (They do get damages quickly especially with books. Probably will do that with my JP xxxholic volumes, too, as not all of them in my bundle have them.
Kinda like the JP Obis though, they usually come with nice loglines.

Well I guess I can use it to keep my dirty fingerprints off the admittedly nice box until I get it back home and on my shelf. Yeah it certainly does not look like it was built to last though and my first thought was the disposable sticker you get on AL boxsets.

The obi is a Japanese thing, but yeah, for resale value if it is missing, good luck selling it. I usually just slit the shrink wrap like a door on the open side of the slipcase with a razor blade to get the contents out, leaving the shrink wrap on to protect the slipcase and obi. Or, even better, I put all of my anime that come in standard cases and/or slips, especially my Aniplex singles, in clear plastic box protectors like the ones used for steelbooks:

bdsteel1.jpg

No, I'm not too crazy for an anime collector, am I...?? 🤫

Last edited:
Hm, I pack my manga often into blocks of 3-4 in a bag, so that they don't fall over. Same reason I'm liking chiboxes. I also did bag some chipboxes in, but most of them are the Japanese ones, which are expensive and came with a bag to begin with. (Also some would add not obis, but flapover-papers which then just hand loosely around, because they are too big, to be put into the box themselves. (Staring at you Gintama Movie II LE.)
But am not bagging everyting in anymore, ever since I started using the plastic storage boxes, which so far serve well enough as dust defenders.

But there are also some who use cling wraps or freezer bags or plastic bags for your lunch bread for bagging in their Manga/Anime.
Grantes, freezers bags are perfect material, but they always have print on it, those white thingies allowing you to write onto it. It looks so weird sometimes...
Cling wraps I tried myself, but that's a timeconsumptive art to get the shape and wrap folds right, to not make it looks really weird with all the creases..
Have been thinking about the lunch bread bags myself though. They sure are a deal less expensive than special Manga bags. (But also not as fully transparent and more "milky" in their colour.

Well I guess I can use it to keep my dirty fingerprints off the admittedly nice box until I get it back home and on my shelf. Yeah it certainly does not look like it was built to last though and my first thought was the disposable sticker you get on AL boxsets.
It probably is the case, but on the other hand it's also a perfect first indicator for the quality of the thing, if you buy it used. Because the obi is the first thing to get some damage. Or is it was thrown away it's probably somebody who doesn't care to much about total completeness.

Those obis I have from xxxholic are telling me quite clearly, that the books have moved around shelves quite often and while not really uncarefull, it wasn't treated as a gem of a most careful collector either. They also tell me that the japanese book quality really is miles far ahead of quite a number of English publishers. (Kodansha USA's Englisch edition really looks crap next to the JP ones.)

It's also a nice telltale, when you see like half of an obi hanging on the book, and the other half was ripped off. Clearly that was by some show who is just handling the masses and doesn't get fussy about the condition all too much.

I don't forsee myself selling this show. It's one of my favourites. But I always take care of my things.

Well anyway I don't want to leave it on the box so I'll do something with it.

Last edited:
I take great pleasure in crumpling up obi-strips and throwing them in the recycling. I’ve bought a couple of second hand books from Japan where the presence of the obi-strip has led to a horrible half-faded cover. In the bin they go.

Back