What are you watching right now

Alastair Campbell pulling a Glenn Beck. I am almost incredulous.

"Wahh, feel sorry for me... so that you're on my side when I launch into attack mode in about 20 seconds time!"

What's that sound? Oh, it's credibility in British Politics gurgling down the drain.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7T8y5EPv6Y8&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7T8y5EPv6Y8&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I can only sink zhat no-von else understands ze significance of zhis.

It's a parody, and it's still funny even if you don't know who Werner Herzog is.

The Trap - What Happened to Our Dream of Freedom?

F*ck me. Everybody should watch this film and it's two sequels - Everybody who is willing to spare three hours of their lives in return for partial enlightenment. Although they delve into politics they aren't really political films at all (as the title might suggest), they are films which attempt to explain how more and more humans have become selfish, depressed, paranoid and disconnected socially in the last few decades.

I actually found myself taking up a stance against the filmmaker to begin with, as he attempted to dismantle what in my opinion were some fairly sound (and pretty pessimistic) theories about humanity. But I stuck with it and found it fascinating. It left me thinking that perhaps I have been buying into a massive misconception about people's true nature, and from that point of view it has an ever-so-slightly-hopeful rather than a might-as-well-slit-your-wrists-now message.

Not right now because that'd be Berserk, but the show I'm currently in head-over-heels in love with is Community. It's self-aware, has Chevy Chase and Joel McHale, no laugh track and is one of the best comedies on television right now. NBC's thursday night comedy line-up is just brilliant.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1ez9xiDsSX4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1ez9xiDsSX4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

ayase said:

F*ck me. Everybody should watch this film and it's two sequels - Everybody who is willing to spare three hours of their lives in return for partial enlightenment. Although they delve into politics they aren't really political films at all (as the title might suggest), they are films which attempt to explain how more and more humans have become selfish, depressed, paranoid and disconnected socially in the last few decades.

Adam Curtis is convincing in all of his programmes. I looked everywhere on the internet for a DVD release of The Trap and The Power of Nightmares and now I find it, a US release on Amazon. It seems too good to be true.

Anyway, I'm watching Matt Smith on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross.

Watched Dante's Inferno (BR) yesterday. I'd say it was a great intro to the game, but the amount of times Dante says "My God!" and "In the lord's name..." Yep, quite a phrasebook...

Genkina Hito said:
ayase said:

Adam Curtis is convincing in all of his programmes. I looked everywhere on the internet for a DVD release of The Trap and The Power of Nightmares and now I find it, a US release on Amazon. It seems too good to be true.
I have now watched The Trap, The Power of Nightmares and Century of the Self. I'm not sure Mr. Curtis' analytical documentaries are good for the mental health, but they certainly are insightful.

I only cme across this when Ryo was watching some WW2 documentories and an advert came up for it.

I decided to tape and now watch "Richard Hammon: Search for the Holy Grail," of which was a very enlightening show. Apparently the damn French had "it" all this time. :p

Today, being in a mood for organised crime, I marathoned the entire first season of The Sopranos (yeah, that's 13 hours, I know).

"Cunnilingus and psychiatry brought us to this."

And this... this is the good stuff. HBO can surely do no wrong. I'm glad I put off watching so I can see it all the way through, waiting for the rest would surely kill me.

Radio 5 Live - Bacon, Floyd and Boyd.

Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo interviewing Matt Damon and Paul Greengrass and then Jason Isaac were two of the best interviews of this year so far.

And Martin Scorsese is looking to make a film in 3D!?!?! :eek: I hope this won't be a trend.

Genkina Hito said:
Martin Scorsese is looking to make a film in 3D!?!?! :eek: I hope this won't be a trend.
It's pretty certain to be, since it's an experience which coaxes people back to the cinema again after declining audiences and people just waiting for the DVDs. But I bet the studios and directors hate the fact that electronics manufacturers are working towards 3D TVs so quickly. They'll eventually have to come up with something which is impossible to replicate in the home.

ayase said:
Genkina Hito said:
Martin Scorsese is looking to make a film in 3D!?!?! :eek: I hope this won't be a trend.
It's pretty certain to be, since it's an experience which coaxes people back to the cinema again after declining audiences and people just waiting for the DVDs. But I bet the studios and directors hate the fact that electronics manufacturers are working towards 3D TVs so quickly. They'll eventually have to come up with something which is impossible to replicate in the home.

It is hard to argue with that because 3D is one thing that video games, movie pirates, legitimate dvd's and home cinema set-ups just don't do as well as the cinema but it is hard to escape the fact that 3D still a gimmick.

Most films don't need 3D but they are retrofitting themselves (Alice in Wonderland, Clash of the Titans) to draw the audience who have proven themselves willing to pay extra for the experience. Not that it makes the films better.

Coraline and Avatar were deliberately filmed in 3D and look good because of it so I respect that more than these band-wagon jumpers.

As far as 3D consoles (Nintendo 3DS, PS3) and TVs goes, I'm not really and early adopter, I'll wait until the dust settles and prices come down but imagine 3D videogames... Imagine playing Dead or Alive Paradise! (any reason to put this trailer in!)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-pLGoeepMec&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-pLGoeepMec&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Oh, it's a complete gimmick and not one I'm that taken with either. But it seems to be a hit with the masses so I wouldn't blame directors / studios for jumping on the bandwagon, if the bandwagon is full of bags with dollar signs on they can help themselves to. ;)

Back