Welcome to the Ballroom: Manga or Anime?

Rui

Karamatsu Boy
Administrator
I've been enjoying this anime a lot and I have a family member who would love it even more than I do. The problem is that they don't have Prime, so they can't watch it.

Conveniently, Christmas is approaching and I can solve that problem for them. However, I know there are a few people over here who are also reading the original manga and rate it highly. I've suddenly started wondering whether it might be better for me to just go ahead and buy the manga for my family member instead of setting up a Prime subscription for them. They don't usually read comics but they'd be perfectly happy to have the books if that's the better experience. Similarly they're fine with subtitles so the presentation of the anime isn't a problem.

Could I ask whether anyone has a strong opinion on which version is the better for an ordinary person who isn't especially into anime or manga? They'd be far more interested in the ballroom dancing elements than Tatara's emotional development or the occasional moments of fan service, if that helps.

Or is there value in just getting both...?

Thanks!

R

You could let them sign into your Prime account if you trust them enough with your password. I use my mum's account to watch stuff on Amazon.

You could let them sign into your Prime account if you trust them enough with your password. I use my mum's account to watch stuff on Amazon.

Unfortunately I am 100% certain that doing this would result in that person's entire Christmas shop accidentally being bought on my account, knowing the person involved, and months of chaos trying to sort everything out when they accidentally ask Amazon to cancel my Prime subscription :D

R

The Manga delves more into the dances & the technicality behind them with longer focus on the routines. The anime has some delicious animation but it's mostly still shots & rushes through the majority of the dancing, focusing more on what the characters are saying rather than the dance animation & details (it's still there but no where near as much)

Is there value in both? Definitely, however if I had to choose one it'd be the manga.

I've only read the first volume of the manga, so I'd take my opinion with a pinch of salt in regards to how it goes later, but I think the manga is a better choice. It seems more focused on the dancing than the anime has so someone looking for that element will probably get more enjoyment from it.

I must admit I personally find the anime somewhat dull in places because I'm not especially fond of the characters, so more focus on the dancing would be appreciated at times. I still hold firm that the best part of the anime every week is the Unison Square Garden opening.

Thank you, sounds as though I need to place an order for the manga :)

R

Only just spotted this and I think - if your person in mind isn't a comic reader (let alone a R-to-L manga reader) I'd advise the anime over the manga, especially if they're happy with subtitles. I absolutely take on board @Peachy and @Demelza's excellent points about the manga - but I think that the whole colourful animated experience would give a better impression. (And then, if they love it, they could read the manga later, maybe...?)

I see (ANN) that the anime will have a different ending (here we go again!) as the mangaka hasn't yet completed the current arc and plans to continue well past this cut-off point (assuming the editors don't decide otherwise).

Only just spotted this and I think - if your person in mind isn't a comic reader (let alone a R-to-L manga reader) I'd advise the anime over the manga, especially if they're happy with subtitles. I absolutely take on board @Peachy and @Demelza's excellent points about the manga - but I think that the whole colourful animated experience would give a better impression. (And then, if they love it, they could read the manga later, maybe...?)

I see (ANN) that the anime will have a different ending (here we go again!) as the mangaka hasn't yet completed the current arc and plans to continue well past this cut-off point (assuming the editors don't decide otherwise).

Thanks; oddly they're fine with unflipped manga even though (or perhaps because?) they're not into comics. They borrowed some of my books about another of their hobbies once and sailed through the series without even clocking that it was 'backwards'.

I think I'll show them some highlights from the anime (like Sengoku's performance around the end of last season *fans self*) and give them the manga, then if they're still keen maybe they'll end up with a BD box set - assuming that the local companies oblige in due course!

Hopefully the mangaka is free to continue as long as there's story left to tell. There doesn't seem to have been a huge amount of wider excitement over the anime but I've been enjoying it!

R

Thanks; oddly they're fine with unflipped manga even though (or perhaps because?) they're not into comics. They borrowed some of my books about another of their hobbies once and sailed through the series without even clocking that it was 'backwards'.

I think I'll show them some highlights from the anime (like Sengoku's performance around the end of last season *fans self*) and give them the manga, then if they're still keen maybe they'll end up with a BD box set - assuming that the local companies oblige in due course!

Hopefully the mangaka is free to continue as long as there's story left to tell. There doesn't seem to have been a huge amount of wider excitement over the anime but I've been enjoying it!

R

That sounds like a plan (and good to know they don't mind unflipped manga!) :)

I'm glad you've been enjoying the anime; I confess I have too (especially now they have the new OP and ED) - but I've been a little puzzled by the cool reception it's been receiving recently on ANN (although it's good that Rebecca Silverman knows her ballroom dancing).

Back