Watchmen Trailer

This looks freaking awesome.

I was never that into comics (only read Ultimate Spiderman and X-treme X-Men), but this looks badass. Can't wait.

Blew me away, I really can't wait to see this on the big screen, I've never read the graphic novels, but I have just ordered myself a copy of it

The graphic novel is a fantastic read. It's the only US comic I've read, but I'd totally recommend checking this out. Also, you can buy it as an all-in-one graphic novel too and since it isn't manga, the art is actually in colour. The story itself is really fascinating, it's about "superheroes" without the powers (with the exception of Doctor Manhattan i.e. the blue guy) and how they would survive in the "real" world; most of them are unhinged, blood thirsty vigilantes that have become seriously disillusioned with life.

This trailer looks good, if a little bit too shiny. The world of the Watchmen in the novel isn't a nice place to be.

Paul said:
The graphic novel is a fantastic read. It's the only US comic I've read...
Actually, both Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons are british.
I've enjoyed everything I've read from Alan Moore. Another favourite of mine is Neil Gaiman, whose books for Death were simply brilliant.

On the comedy side, I like Lenore from Roman Dirge a lot.

This is now added to my mega excited for list.

Looks good and im impressed that they've kept the bit on Mars, i thought that would be cut for the film.

(anyone else heard the rumours on running time, 3 hour theatrical release, 4 hour dvd release)

Of course Alan Moore refuses to even see it. :roll: I like his work but he really needs to step off his high horse.

Sy said:
Of course Alan Moore refuses to even see it. :roll: I like his work but he really needs to step off his high horse.

From Hell was butchered and thats why he won't see any of his comics on film. He also hated V for Vendetta which i really liked.

eggybob said:
Sy said:

From Hell was butchered and thats why he won't see any of his comics on film. He also hated V for Vendetta which i really liked.

I thought he was happy with this one after he read David Hayters screenplay :?

BlackWolf said:
eggybob said:
Sy said:

They're not using Hayters screenplay, he was set in an updated world to make it set in modern times, the used screenplay is still in the 80's.

eggybob said:
BlackWolf said:
eggybob said:
Sy said:

They're not using Hayters screenplay, he was set in an updated world to make it set in modern times, the used screenplay is still in the 80's.

Ah i see, any reason as to why they didn't use his? He's done some good work before on the first two X men movies, though the second one he did co write with someone else

BlackWolf said:
eggybob said:
BlackWolf said:
eggybob said:
Sy said:

Ah i see, any reason as to why they didn't use his? He's done some good work before on the first two X men movies, though the second one he did co write with someone else

I think it was too expensive to make.

Watchmen is one Alan Moore graphic novel I haven't read. I don't know why, seeing as how it's his most famous. It's similar to the way I've read every Shirow work now except Ghost In The Shell. I should probably do it now, as once the film comes out everyone and their mums will be buying it and I won't be able to find a copy.

Paul said:
Also, you can buy it as an all-in-one graphic novel too and since it isn't manga, the art is actually in colour.
The shock of a manga fan realising you can buy a graphic novel in one volume! In full colour! :lol:

Maxon said:
This looks freaking awesome.

I was never that into comics (only read Ultimate Spiderman and X-treme X-Men), but this looks badass. Can't wait.

USM ftw! lol

Agree with Eggybob, i too am surprised they kept the Mars scene, but so so glad they did. I'll be so upset if they **** this up, it really is the best graphic novel I've read.

Only just got round to watching the trailer and I think I need to change my pants! I mean, I love superhero films at the best of times but this movie looks to be pure gold!

Bumping since there are now two more trailers (one a behind the scenes preview) and since I noticed there are a few of us reading / planning to read the GN at the moment now might be a good time to resurrect the thread.

One thing I'd really like to know is the runtime. If it's anything less than 150 minutes I'm stuggling to see how they'll pull it off and make it worthy of the GN. I'm particularly concerned (but more or less resigned to the fact) that they'll drop a lot of the sub-plots.

This has always been a major problem of mine with film adaptions, especially ones of graphic novels. The subtelties and points the story tries to make (often using sub plots rather than the main plot) being stripped out to make a single narrative which is easier for film audiences to follow, but also much shallower in scope.

Edit: At the start, trailer 2 uses excerpts of Philip Glass' score for Koyaanisqatsi. Fantastic music (and film) but it's kinda weird to hear music specifically composed for one film in a trailer for another. :?

As I already said elsewhere I hate the Watchmen comic but even I want to see this film

Mind you I also hate comics written / drawn by Frank Miller yet I loved the films Sin City and 300 so just because I find a comic / GN boring that does not mean I will automatically hate the film version

theunderfiend said:
As I already said elsewhere I hate the Watchmen comic but even I want to see this film

Mind you I also hate comics written / drawn by Frank Miller yet I loved the films Sin City and 300 so just because I find a comic / GN boring that does not mean I will automatically hate the film version
Mind if I ask you for comics you like? I absolutely love Alan Moore, Frank Miller and if you add Neil Gaiman to your dislike list, well, I think I can't ask you for recommendations =)

Back