US Region & Geolocking Compatible Blu-ray/DVD Imports

Here's a recap of the latest added titles in the Sentai section:

Ajin: Demi-Human | Season 1 Collection | A / Geolock Method
Amagi Brilliant Park | Complete Collection | A / Geolock Method
The Big O | Complete Collection | A / Geolock Method
Chivalry of a Failed Knight | Complete Collection | A / Geolock Method
Devils & Realists | Complete Collection | A / Geolock Method
The Eden of Grisaia / The Labyrinth of Grisaia | Complete Collection | A / Geolock Method

The Familiar of Zero F | Complete Collection | A / Geolock Method
Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya 2wei! | Complete Collection | A B
Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya 2wei Herz! | Complete Collection | A B
Hamatora the Animation | Complete Collection | A / Geolock Method
Hayate the Combat Butler | Season 1 Collection | A / Geolock Method
Hayate the Combat Butler | Season 2 Collection | A / Geolock Method
Hayate the Combat Butler: Can't Take My Eyes Off You | Complete Collection | A / Geolock Method
Hayate the Combat Butler: Cuties | Complete Collection | A / Geolock Method
Hayate the Combat Butler: Heaven is a Place on Earth | A / Geolock Method

Hello!! KINMOZA | Complete Collection | A B
Hidamari Sketch x 365 | Complete Collection | A B
Hidamari Sketch x Hoshimittsu | Complete Collection | A / Bypass Method (Disc 1: Title 3, Disc 2: Title 3)
Hidamari Sketch x SP | Complete Collection | A / Geolock Method
Higurashi: When They Cry Kai | Complete Collection | A B
I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job | Complete Collection | A / Bypass Method (Disc 1: Title 3, Disc 2: Title 3)

Intrigue in the Bakumatsu | Collections 1-2 | A / Bypass Method (Disc 1: Title 4, Disc 2: Title 3)

Leviathan: The Last Defense | Complete Collection (Subbed Only Version) | A / Bypass Method (Title 5)
Love Stage!! | Complete Collection | A / Geolock Method
My Love Story!! | Complete Collection | A / Geolock Method
Night Raid 1931 | Complete Collection | A / Bypass Method (Disc 1: Title 4, Disc 2: Title 3)
Nobunaga the Fool | Collections 1-2 | A / Geolock Method
Outbreak Company | Complete Collection | A / Geolock Method

Parasyte -the maxim- | Collections 1-2 | A B
Rail Wars | Complete Collection | A / Geolock Method
Re:_Hamatora | Complete Collection | A / Geolock Method
RIN-NE | Season 1 Collections 1-2 | A / Geolock Method

RIN-NE | Season 2 Collection | A / Geolock Method

Samurai Girls | Complete Collection | A / Bypass Method (Disc 1: Title 4, Disc 2: Title 3)
So I Can't Play H | Complete Collection | A / Bypass Method (Disc 1: Title 5, Disc 2: Title 4)
To Love Ru Darkness | Season 2 Collection | A / Geolock Method
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 | Complete Collection | A / Bypass Method (Disc 1: Title 4, Disc 2: Title 3)

Vampire Hunter D | A / Geolock Method
Wolf Girl & Black Prince | Complete Collection | A / Geolock Method

Are you sure that the Big O is geo lock?
An Australian seller had this listed as A/B

The thing about Sentai's Geo-locked titles is that it's pretty hard to tell whether they really are Region B or simply work via geolocking means. I can't verify it as all of my Blu-ray devices are pretty much work regardless.

Only IncendiaryLemon has been able to test them accurately as his player can't play geolocked discs.

What I'm trying to say is that if the Australian seller tested it via a games console or a certain type of Blu-ray player then chances are it's geo-locked without him knowing.

I have a ps4, but I only collect region B.
To my understanding is if you state that your console is in the uk and then test the geo titles, won't that tell you if there region B or not? Or am I incorrect?

I have a ps4, but I only collect region B.
To my understanding is if you state that your console is in the uk and then test the geo titles, won't that tell you if there region B or not? Or am I incorrect?

Well then, you have a PlayStation 4 so you're already set for the geo-locked titles. For some reason the UK PS4 consoles are set to United States in terms of country region so it'll play without any issue.

In other words, PlayStation 3 & 4 are essentially both Region B and US Country Region (Geo-locked) playable. I was probably the first to discover this when I first bought Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions back in January 2015.

Testing them is the issue I've got, out of all the Sentai geolocked Blu-rays I've got the only one that won't work on my LG player so far is Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions.

I have a small suggestion. The ones that state geo locked most people aren't going to confirm there region as they will presume they have been tested. I would state "geo-locked further testing needed to confirm region B"
This should encourage people to share there findings.

I have a small suggestion. The ones that state geo locked most people aren't going to confirm there region as they will presume they have been tested. I would state "geo-locked further testing needed to confirm region B"
This should encourage people to share there findings.
The thing is that "geo-locked" titles only look at the country code and never even access the region code register.
In other words, the discs are effectively "region free".

The titles have been confirmed geo locked right. Yet they have not been able to test to see if there region B aswell.
Not everybody has a game console.
I suggested that the titles state geo tested only.
These titles have not been fully tested on a standard region B player.

The titles have been confirmed geo locked right. Yet they have not been able to test to see if there region B aswell.
Not everybody has a game console.
I suggested that the titles state geo tested only.
These titles have not been fully tested on a standard region B player.

I think you're making it more confusing than it actually is. A geolocked disc will only play on a player which originated from the US or a game console and is *in place* of a region lock. If your BD player has a US country code but is still B locked, it will still play, and if you have a region free player/region A player but the country code is set to UK, geolocked discs still won't play.

I just wanted to know if the geo locked titles have been tested for region B aswell. If not just let people know, some may forward there findings.

NormanicGrav reply
The thing about Sentai's Geo-locked titles is that it's pretty hard to tell whether they really are Region B or simply work via geolocking means. I can't verify it as all of my Blu-ray devices are pretty much work regardless.

I just wanted to know if the geo locked titles have been tested for region B aswell. If not just let people know, some may forward there findings.
There's no need to test it for region B explicitly. As IncendiaryLemon has stated, the disc will play fine on a region B player as long as the country code is set to US. Likewise it will refuse to play on a region A player if the country code is not set to US. To be more precise, the region code of the player doesn't matter at all; it will only play if the country code is set to US.

BD region codes work slightly different from DVD region codes. With a DVD the region code(s) are stored in a standardized manner on the disc and the DVD drive will enforces that only "allowed" discs are played. With BDs the drive no longer plays a role and it's up to the "player". Normally there will be some code/program on the disc that instructs the player to check the region code, but in the case of Geo-locked titles it only instructs the player to check the country code.

It is possible that Sentai has changed it between releases, but I know for a fact that for Chuunibyou there is literally no check on the region code. So the disc is effectively 'region-less', region-free, region A|B|C or however you want to refer to it. That doesn't mean it actually plays in all players due to the country code check, but you get the idea.

Not sure how many people here have a BD drive attached to their PCs, but I could probably make a little utility/web app that analyzes a MovieObject.bdmv file and outputs the regions and/or if the title is Geo-locked (if such a utility does not already exist).

There's no need to test it for region B explicitly. As IncendiaryLemon has stated, the disc will play fine on a region B player as long as the country code is set to US. Likewise it will refuse to play on a region A player if the country code is not set to US. To be more precise, the region code of the player doesn't matter at all; it will only play if the country code is set to US.

BD region codes work slightly different from DVD region codes. With a DVD the region code(s) are stored in a standardized manner on the disc and the DVD drive will enforces that only "allowed" discs are played. With BDs the drive no longer plays a role and it's up to the "player". Normally there will be some code/program on the disc that instructs the player to check the region code, but in the case of Geo-locked titles it only instructs the player to check the country code.

It is possible that Sentai has changed it between releases, but I know for a fact that for Chuunibyou there is literally no check on the region code. So the disc is effectively 'region-less', region-free, region A|B|C or however you want to refer to it. That doesn't mean it actually plays in all players due to the country code check, but you get the idea.

Not sure how many people here have a BD drive attached to their PCs, but I could probably make a little utility/web app that analyzes a MovieObject.bdmv file and outputs the regions and/or if the title is Geo-locked (if such a utility does not already exist).

Just to add, I've added an extra note for select titles released between December to early March 2015 that can't work on certain devices. But aside from that, pretty much yeah I agree with ya.

I did end up making a little utility: BD Region/Country code checker
It's slightly less useful than an earlier prototype I had, but I realised you could, with some effort, say it was "circumventing geo-restrictions", which is legally a bit grey.

Anyway, this version also does it's job, but only lists against which values the region and country codes are being checked. These lists can be whitelists or blacklists (or something in between). So, for example, if it says region A, it might be a region A disc or an B|C disc.

Here are some examples:
upload_2017-7-30_17-49-23.png
upload_2017-7-30_17-50-15.png
upload_2017-7-30_17-50-48.png

Just to add, I've added an extra note for select titles released between December to early March 2015 that can't work on certain devices.
It appears that Sentai has changed it from checking that the country code is either US or CA to checking that it's not JP. That's probably the reason why those earlier titles don't work on certain devices.

Back