US Region Free Blu-rays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mangaranga said:
Lavigne said:
Has anyone had any success in playing Discotek's Castle of Cagliostro disc? It's managed to overcome my multi region player, even after I've manually changed the player's area code to US.....
Works fine for me on my BDX3200 set to region A.

Weird. I didn't think I'd heard anything about it being problematic. :eek:

What player do you use out of interest? Seems strange that you can't play the disc even after being set to region A.
Maybe it does a region check too?

Edit: Scratch that. I doubt it does a region check since it plays back fine through Kodi whereas Sentai discs do not.

I use an LG BP325 - ICOS chipped

I'd set it to region A before putting the disc in, and then when it still hit the region warning screen I took it back out and switched the player's area code to US. Still no joy. Still plays other A-discs though, just this one it seems to be temperamental about.

Lavigne said:
I use an LG BP325 - ICOS chipped

I'd set it to region A before putting the disc in, and then when it still hit the region warning screen I took it back out and switched the player's area code to US. Still no joy. Still plays other A-discs though, just this one it seems to be temperamental about.
Have you upgraded the firmware as some discs can't work with older firmware, and that modification shouldn't be affected by the upgrade.

firmware worth a check but you may also want to ensure it (as is currently set) plays other (region A non B) disks. I had a problem where I thought I switched but couldn't play but turned out it wouldn't switch with a disk in the drive... also I think some devices have to go into a certain standby mode to enable switching so if the standby mode has changed for whatever reason then switching stops working...

Yeah, I've been caught by that before, but I checked one of the Eureka Seven discs and it played that no problem. I suspect it's the firmware, which means it'll be the weekend before I get to check it. Ah well, no Lupin for me for a few days! :D

I don't really tend to update this thread anymore... From what I've watched recently, Persona 4: The Golden Animation v1 and Mahouka v1 are region free whilst SNAFU is "geolocked".

mikezilla2 said:
this new pressing isnt region free i take it ?

http://www.fandompost.com/2015/08/25/ap ... me-review/
It may well be region free. Chris mentions that it has a new AVC encode instead of the original VC1 encode, therefore it would have been re-authored. The back cover also has the whole spiel about being licensed US only and may not function properly outside. It could be a geolocked release, but it could still just be the standard region A lock the original release had. Won't know until someone tests it.

And since no one's mentioned it. Here's the titles from Funimation's line-up for November that's to be tested:

Dragonar Academy - Complete Series
Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean - Complete Series: S.A.V.E.
Fafner - Complete Season 1 & Movie: S.A.V.E.
Fairy Tail - Collection 5 ~ This will be the last collection that will be A|B|1|2|4, as Part 11 onwards are A|1
Noein: To Your Other Self - Complete Series

Couple of slightly random questions...

1) Should the US release of Freedom be on the list?

2) Is there a criteria for changing blue > black? It seems like there are quite a few "blue" that have been on the list for a fair while?

msgeek said:

2) Is there a criteria for changing blue > black? It seems like there are quite a few "blue" that have been on the list for a fair while?

1) Yes it should, considering the UK, French, US and Japanese sets are pretty much the same, the packaging are slightly different so it might confuse people. I recently watched a YT video (Gigafrosty for those curious) in which he was unboxing Gunbuster vs Diebuster and was worried he had the UK version because the rating is on the disc.

As for 2) meh, it's up to Titan.

For those Honneamise titles the discs and the packaging all game from Japan, so they had UK ratings printed on the discs and frontloaded FBI warnings etc. Beez added a slip on the back under the shrinkwrap, otherwise it was identical in the US and Japan.

Fate/Stay Night - Unlimited Bladeworks: Set 1 - region free

Mangaranga said:
I don't really tend to update this thread anymore... From what I've watched recently, Persona 4: The Golden Animation v1 and Mahouka v1 are region free whilst SNAFU is "geolocked".

List updated. Thanks. :)

NormanicGrav said:
And since no one's mentioned it. Here's the titles from Funimation's line-up for November that's to be tested:

Dragonar Academy - Complete Series
Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean - Complete Series: S.A.V.E.
Fafner - Complete Season 1 & Movie: S.A.V.E.
Fairy Tail - Collection 5 ~ This will be the last collection that will be A|B|1|2|4, as Part 11 onwards are A|1
Noein: To Your Other Self - Complete Series

Titles have been added to the list (in green). Thanks. :)

msgeek said:

Freedom has been added to the list. And I apologise, I've been meaning to change the blue titles to black for a while now but kept forgetting. It's done now though.

Sword Art Online II Set 2: Phantom Bullet Part 2 - region free

-Tsukimonogatari-: Yotsugi Doll Set (LE) - region free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back