Upcoming UK Anime DVD Artwork!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanika

Brigade Leader
Paradox295 said:
ColdCobra said:
What's with boxes 12 and 13 having so little episodes? I take it for us next year they'll be one box, right?
Maybe. Have Manga done 8-episode Bleach releases before?
Looks like that's usual for Kaze Bleach releases. The fact that their *tenth* box matches our sixth one should show they've spread them out a bit more, looking at episode counts, the French ones are [12]:[12]:[12]:[15]:[18]:[21]:[20]:[8] -- only series 5-7 are in one box each. (Series 9 onward doesn't appear to be licensed for Europe yet--and being that it's apparently HD, I hope when it finally does it'll get BDs of some sort somewhere.)

Manga has done 8 episode Bleach releases; 'Series 1 Part 2', 'Series 4 Part 1', 'Series 4 Part 2', and 'Series 5 Part 1'. But Manga seem commited to be releasing a whole Japanese series in one box, e.g., where France, Australia, America, everywhere else split the 7-disc series 4 into two boxes, Manga only did one.
So I'd be confident in saying Manga'll do a boxset for all of series 8.
 

HokageLuffy

Completely Average High School Student
nanika said:
(Series 9 onward doesn't appear to be licensed for Europe yet--and being that it's apparently HD, I hope when it finally does it'll get BDs of some sort somewhere.)

Naah, sadly Bleach isn't HD, it's SD. The fansubs are just upscaled.

Heres a list of anime resolutions, page is in Japanese though. Bleach is listed as 'SD field up', an upscale. http://gorry.haun.org/pw/?20101001_tvaformat

Manga should have made their Bleach seasons longer... the rate they're going we're gonna be touching Season 20 by the end of the Aizen Arc!
 

Paradox295

Pokémon Master
HokageLuffy said:
nanika said:
(Series 9 onward doesn't appear to be licensed for Europe yet--and being that it's apparently HD, I hope when it finally does it'll get BDs of some sort somewhere.)

Naah, sadly Bleach isn't HD, it's SD. The fansubs are just upscaled.

Heres a list of anime resolutions, page is in Japanese though. Bleach is listed as 'SD field up', an upscale. http://gorry.haun.org/pw/?20101001_tvaformat

Manga should have made their Bleach seasons longer... the rate they're going we're gonna be touching Season 20 by the end of the Aizen Arc!
Nah, they're going by the same seasons as the R2J DVDs. Check wiki.
 

nanika

Brigade Leader
Paradox295 said:
HokageLuffy said:
nanika said:
(Series 9 onward doesn't appear to be licensed for Europe yet--and being that it's apparently HD, I hope when it finally does it'll get BDs of some sort somewhere.)

Naah, sadly Bleach isn't HD, it's SD. The fansubs are just upscaled.

Heres a list of anime resolutions, page is in Japanese though. Bleach is listed as 'SD field up', an upscale. http://gorry.haun.org/pw/?20101001_tvaformat

Manga should have made their Bleach seasons longer... the rate they're going we're gonna be touching Season 20 by the end of the Aizen Arc!
Nah, they're going by the same seasons as the R2J DVDs. Check wiki.
Ironically at their current rate Viz will end up with more than 20 seasons by then, at a estimate at least season 22 if they don't change their season-counting ways pretty soon. Heck, Japanese season 11 is already part of Viz's season 14... when if Manga do keep to the Japanese ones, series 14 will end the Arrancar arc :D
...and wow, I guess with the sharpness of the credits I just assumed it was just the rest of the show was very soft HD, but yeah, the credits are the only thing actually 1080... so I guess it's another show mastered in but not actually animated in HD. Though I wonder if the movies are HD... and given that they apparently contain English subs, I almost feel like ordering the first one to find out.
 

Cold Cobra

Wait... Wha?!
AUKN Staff
Wasn't Season 9 that awful filler arc with the purple haired Captain? Ugh, it takes a lot for something Bleach related to annoy me, but that arc did it.

I think where you got confused was that Season 9 was the first season in widescreen. I remember because the first episode after the filler arc had the black borders on the sides when recapping pre-filler arc stuff.
 

HokageLuffy

Completely Average High School Student
nanika said:
...and wow, I guess with the sharpness of the credits I just assumed it was just the rest of the show was very soft HD, but yeah, the credits are the only thing actually 1080... so I guess it's another show mastered in but not actually animated in HD. Though I wonder if the movies are HD... and given that they apparently contain English subs, I almost feel like ordering the first one to find out.

At least the show keeps a consistent resolution lol. Naruto Shippuden manages to be HD one episode, and then reverts to SD the next!

And yeah, the Bleach movies are HD. They aired in the cinema, so probably have a native resolution of higher than 1080.

Seems like those French Blu-Rays list an English Dub track as apposed to a Sub track. I dunno how thats possible since the Dub of the third film is yet to be released in America!!
 

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
HokageLuffy said:
Seems like those French Blu-Rays list an English Dub track as apposed to a Sub track. I dunno how thats possible since the Dub of the third film is yet to be released in America!!
Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva.

We have the dub; America don't yet.
 

nanika

Brigade Leader
ColdCobra said:
Wasn't Season 9 that awful filler arc with the purple haired Captain? Ugh, it takes a lot for something Bleach related to annoy me, but that arc did it.

I think where you got confused was that Season 9 was the first season in widescreen. I remember because the first episode after the filler arc had the black borders on the sides when recapping pre-filler arc stuff.
It was, both the filler and the widescreen. Though it wasn't the widescreen that confused me so much as the credits actually being 1080, but I'm sure the widescreen helped.
HokageLuffy said:
And yeah, the Bleach movies are HD. They aired in the cinema, so probably have a native resolution of higher than 1080.
Alright, ordered Memories, probably will do some write-up about it when it arrives. If it turns out to be proper HD with the English sub/dub then I'll order the other two as well.
Also, looks like my worries about UK stopping the thinpacks because of all other regions changing release method and Manga rereleasing everything in fatpacks are completely dispelled. "Told over 4 discs and packaged in slimline Amaray packaging featuring the original Japanese sleeve art and housed inside a gorgeously designed box." :D
Now I just wonder which art they'll drop, Rukia, Shinji or Hollowfied Ichigo.
 
Shiroi Hane said:
HokageLuffy said:
probably have a native resolution of higher than 1080.
Whut.

Movies shot digitally for theatrical distribution, or movies shot on film, and then transferred to digital for projection usually have higher that 1080 resolution. Obviously because of the bigger screens. 2k is typical for projection since 2005, while recent cinema projectors work at 4k. Consequently, films are shot digitally at those resolutions as well.

Note that film still kicks digital's ****. When some films are transferred to digital for archiving purposes, they are scanned at 8k or higher.

I think the only notable movies shot digitally at 1080 native resolution, are Star Wars episodes 2 and 3, meaning Blu-ray is as good as those films will ever look.
 

nanika

Brigade Leader
Just Passing Through said:
Movies shot digitally for theatrical distribution, or movies shot on film, and then transferred to digital for projection usually have higher that 1080 resolution.
...though Manga's BD of Yu-Gi-Oh! 3D is a upscale from 540p, despite that getting a theatrical release (though that could be because of the 3D) and I know some of the early digitally-animated Pokémon movies were only animated in 1000p. Interestingly enough for Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pyramid of Light is actually 1080p(or more), so 540p for Bonds Beyond Time is a downgrade.
 

Paradox295

Pokémon Master
nanika said:
Just Passing Through said:
Movies shot digitally for theatrical distribution, or movies shot on film, and then transferred to digital for projection usually have higher that 1080 resolution.
...though Manga's BD of Yu-Gi-Oh! 3D is a upscale from 540p, despite that getting a theatrical release (though that could be because of the 3D) and I know some of the early digitally-animated Pokémon movies were only animated in 1000p. Interestingly enough for Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pyramid of Light is actually 1080p(or more), so 540p for Bonds Beyond Time is a downgrade.

So, with a PAL DVD resolution being 576i, the only reason to get the BD is for the 3D. :(
 
Paradox295 said:
So, with a PAL DVD resolution being 576i, the only reason to get the BD is for the 3D. :(
Regardless of the minor difference in native resolution, I suspect that the upscaling, superior video codec, significantly higher bitrate, and progressive scan would give the Blu-ray the edge. FMA: Brotherhood is 540p upscaled and looks better than any of my DVDs.
 

Shiroi Hane

Dragon Knight
Just Passing Through said:
Movies shot digitally for theatrical distribution, or movies shot on film, and then transferred to digital for projection usually have higher that 1080 resolution. Obviously because of the bigger screens. 2k is typical for projection since 2005, while recent cinema projectors work at 4k. Consequently, films are shot digitally at those resolutions as well.
Getting a Red 4K camera is a while different deal to creating hand-drawn animation in HD or higher. With the exception of digital elements and full 3DCG, the individual frames are still drawn by hand and, while the paper they use is larger than was used for SD animation, there's still a heck of a difference between the size of the drawing and the size of a cinema screen.
 

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
Well, with Yu-Gi-Oh! Bonds Beyond Time, the Blu-Ray isn't more expensive than the DVD than with some releases (Only about £3 difference online), so getting the BD could also be an investment for when 3DTVs stop being richboy toys (remember how HDTVs were richboy toys a few years ago?).

Still, that does raise questions...
 

Ario

Kiznaiver
19511309500x5001.jpg
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top