Upcoming UK Anime DVD Artwork!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I quite like the simplicity of the DtB covers, but that particular one isn't the best - but the cover of vols.1&2 was even worse IMO

B002DQUATK.01._SX292_SCLZZZZZZZ_V233697859_.jpg

B002JARDTU.01._SX297_SCLZZZZZZZ_V233698126_.jpg

B002JARDTK.01._SX292_SCLZZZZZZZ_V233697338_.jpg

B002MQ5D6G.01._SX315_SCLZZZZZZZ_V233580307_.jpg

That bebop art is very nice now i think, compared to what it was previously. Shame i already have the full collection otherwise i'd take advantage of the new boxset when it gets released.

With DMC, it looks nice, but thats it. I remember watching it and regretting it. Kinda makes me wish they put more effort into making the series better instead of just nice artwork.

So, Ghost in the Shell is now Ghost in the Shell 2 -give or take a decimal place- and what was Ghost in the Shell 2 has now lost the number designating its relation to what used to be Ghost in the Shell.
Thus, we must watch this series of films in reverse numerical order.

Zin5ki said:
So, Ghost in the Shell is now Ghost in the Shell 2 -give or take a decimal place- and what was Ghost in the Shell 2 has now lost the number designating its relation to what used to be Ghost in the Shell.
Thus, we must watch this series of films in reverse numerical order.

Lol, nice observation there! :lol: I expect that will confuse many first timers to the series.

Zin5ki said:
Whadda you know? Manga are taking my suggestions! :eek:

ayase previously said:
I'm not sure it's a good idea to continue to prefix Innocence with "Ghost in the Shell 2" now that there's a "Ghost in the Shell 2.0". Way to confuse the new fans.

I don't think it should be called Ghost in the Shell 2.0 in the first place. It's completely misleading and some people might think it's a new film or even Innocence. Something like REmastered, REconstructed or even REmixed would have been better and less likely to cause confusion.

*Facepalm* Ladies and gentlemen, I suggest we send that image of to failblog.org, because I dont think the people in the marketing department were focused on their jobs at the time this was done.

Sy has the right idea, either that or "Ghost in the shell: Expanded Edition" or something.

I don't think it should be called Ghost in the Shell 2.0 in the first place. It's completely misleading and some people might think it's a new film or even Innocence. Something like REmastered, REconstructed or even REmixed would have been better and less likely to cause confusion.
Not with capital E's like that though. XP

I think 2.0 is probably the best name it could have had. I'm not one for fancy renaming of things. "Ghost in the Shell 2.0" describes exactly what it is, the second version of Ghost in the Shell. It isn't a problem in Japan as the second film is simply called "Innocence" there.

@Chaz - No, I don't like "XXX Edition" either. It's fine to advertise something as a "Special Edition" or a "Limited Edition", but not actually working it into the title of the film / series.

ayase said:
It isn't a problem in Japan as the second film is simply called "Innocence" there.
Well it is here, we already have a Ghost in the Shell 2. It's not like names haven't been changed for titles that have come out of Japan before.

Talking about misleading marketing Manga bothered me with that while advertising Solid State Society as well. Rather than promoting it as a continuation of the apparently well selling Stand Alone Complex - which is what it is - they marketed it like it was the third installment of the film series. The characters, tone and atmosphere of the movies and the series are largely different not to mention the drop from feature film quality animation to OAV quality.

Sy said:
ayase said:
It isn't a problem in Japan as the second film is simply called "Innocence" there.
Well it is here, we already have a Ghost in the Shell 2. It's not like names haven't been changed for titles that have come out of Japan before.
Yes. That's why I said it it isn't a problem in Japan. What I meant was that they could have avoided this problem by not calling Innocence "Ghost in the Shell 2" here in the first place, so I don't see a problem with removing that prefix from it now, or even just the "2" as Manga seem to have done.

I don't really care how they market anything - If it gets people to buy anime then it's good. Same as the discussion in another thread about tenuous Ghibli links being used for promotion. People should do their research prior to buying, but if you buy something and then find you don't like it you're within your rights to return it.

ayase said:
What I meant was that they could have avoided this problem by not calling Innocence "Ghost in the Shell 2" here in the first place, so I don't see a problem with removing that prefix from it now, or even just the "2" as Manga seem to have done.
Well that title has been attached tot he movie for years now on the DVDs and promotional stuff when it came out. That's in the past so it makes more sense to change the title for something that hasn't been released yet. Even Ghost in the Shell 1.5 would have been better because at least it doesn't imply that it's completely new.

the X one is good - looks like they are following the US version in terms of design. The Desert Punk one is pretty boring though, and the Gunparade March one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back