UK MP critisizes amount of anime on UK kids TV

Actually, reading through the article, his focus appears to be more on junk-food advertising than the proliferation of evil Japanese cartoons :lol: Storm in a teacup, methinks.

-Will

I loved bananaman, danger mouse, count duckula (spinoff of Danger Mouse), Wallace and Gromit, and even preschool shows likeThomas the tank and Mr Men.

The thing is now most british cartoons are aimed mostly for pre schoolers.

The guy does not make any sense to me. There are barely any japanese animations on tv right now so I am guessing that it may be like you all have said american animations looking lie japanamation.

Also what about french and Italian animations which dominating jetix right now

Having read the full article, people are somewhat taking this out of context. He is lamenting the lack of UK produced children's content in favour of imported US and Japanese content. This is loosely linked into a pair of referenda posted by some 100 MPs, one condemning ITV for lack of children's TV production and the other calling for junk food advertising ban on children's TV, which he claims is necessary for funding said programming. Still rubbish and not an attack on anime per se but the lack of UK produced children's TV.

Espy said:
I bet half the "anime" this guy sees on TV is actually American made.

Thats exactly what I thought. XD

We only have Naruto, Shaman King, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon on kids TV. Four shows..so like, wtf? He HAS to be thinking of American made anime style shows.. like Avatar, Teen Titans or...Totally Spies. ew. Well I don't know that many "american anime" shows' names.. but I know that their are quite alot of them..compared to ACTUAL anime anyway.

English animation sucks, it always has, always will.

Kids here would rather watch soaps or reality TV shows than animation now anyway.

I read that foxkids is getting medabots(pokemon with robots).

Oh and astro boy on bbc2 i think there anothers one somewhere.

Silver said:
He HAS to be thinking of American made anime style shows.

Except he's not even thinking of American made anime style shows, he's thinking of American cartoons period. It's quite clear from the article that his only concern about anime is that it's not British. All he's saying is that there should be more British shows on TV, which is a fairly widespread and perfectly reasonable opinion.

Noratav said:
Silver said:
He HAS to be thinking of American made anime style shows.

Except he's not even thinking of American made anime style shows, he's thinking of American cartoons period. It's quite clear from the article that his only concern about anime is that it's not British. All he's saying is that there should be more British shows on TV, which is a fairly widespread and perfectly reasonable opinion.

Mm, but the reason ITV have almost completely stopped producing British cartoons is because they don't do well/have poor ratings.
CBBC have alot of British kids shows [if fact they pretty much only air British shows], just not cartoons, and they seem to do quite well. British cartoons are almost always aimed at kids under 6 years old.

To be honest, I don't really see why we need to make our own cartoons - I didn't watch any UK cartoons as a kid, I turned out fine. D:
But yeah; fair enough, though, if thats his opinion.

Not read the article but I think I get the general gist.

Strikes me its much like the wining and winging that goes on when talking about the British film industry (although this has improved of late) or maybe even the state of the British motor industry.
I think part of it’s like some sort of inferiority complex – we see other countries producing ‘stuff’ better than us and somehow feel left out or wonder why we can’t produce the same.

I can understand the concern over the cultural/moral/educational factor in what’s been fed to kids, but then cartoons/animations are far more about fun and escapism, so what does it matter where they come from?

The likes of the very-British Blue Peter and Newsround spring to mind if you’re worried about feeding children with ‘good’ educational/cultural content.
But then they are both BBC, so maybe its more about what ITV is lacking – it’s a little hard to comment on this when your no longer a kid and rarely watch any TV between 3 and 5pm :?

I’m clearly a well-rounded, well-adjusted individual since I was brought up on UK’s finest - Dangermouse! :wink:

Gawyn said:
Having read the full article, people are somewhat taking this out of context. He is lamenting the lack of UK produced children's content in favour of imported US and Japanese content. This is loosely linked into a pair of referenda posted by some 100 MPs, one condemning ITV for lack of children's TV production and the other calling for junk food advertising ban on children's TV, which he claims is necessary for funding said programming. Still rubbish and not an attack on anime per se but the lack of UK produced children's TV.
That's what I thought- it's not a criticism of anime per se, rather the lack of genuinely decent British animation around now.

But when was there ever a UK animation industry? As far as I can tell it's always been dominated by US and Japan. Even in Cosgrove Hall's golden years (aside from Dangermouse and Duckula, anyone remember Fantomcat, Victor and Hugo, Telebugs, Truckers, etc?), you couldn't really call it an industry- it was just one company.

yep and they backchat too lol

anywho this is a whole load of rubbish, show me an anime channel on uktv and i will give u a tenner, i mean a proper one. all we ever get is pokemon and other crappy ones. Only ones i liked include shaman king,yugioh (a bit), full metal alchemist and naruto. how is tht a lot!

lets compile a list of those we know are on this very moment

pokemon
yugioh gx
astro boy me thinks
naruto
shaman king repeats

any more?

He's saying this more out of a sense of patriotism than anything else. But, it's not as if we're the only country with people saying things like this. The French have very strict laws about the amount of non-French content TV channels can show, as do several other countries both in Europe and outside Europe. Ultimately though, quality is more important than where shows come from, and given that Aardman are currently our only top animation studio it's no wonder TV channels are sidelining British animation in favour of French and American cartoons.

There are two things wrong with what this guys saying:

1. Anime on UK TV? Where? Gimme some of that! Oh... Guess what? THERE IS NONE (or disturbingly little).

2. How does removing anime help our country? I guess there would be more room for UK animation, but if it was initially there I'm sure it would get a Tv spot.

Seriously, what a random statement.

Back