UK anime & manga news from AyaCon *updated*

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Thanks to the helpful AnimeOnDVD forum user Danj, we are able to bring you these brief summaries of what has been discussed at today's panels at AyaCon.<ul class="menu2">ADV UK news
<li>A new anime series will be starting every month for the first six months of 2006. These new series are Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu! (January), Elfen Lied (February), Madlax (March) along with the currently unscheduled Cromartie High School, Gilgamesh and Area 88 TV.<li>An ADV UK fanclub and magazine is planned; called "Anime ADVocates", membership will include a magazine and free promo DVD (containing anime episodes).<li>ADV are looking at the possibility of bringing ADV Manga to the UK.<li>Despite trying hard, no ADV titles are scheduled to be aired on British TV.<li>The possibility of ADV bringing DVD art boxes to the UK is still an issue of cost, not helped by high street shops being reluctant to stock them. However, they are looking at selling boxes in the UK directly by mail order.

BEEZ news
<li>No new titles have been confirmed, though Beez stated a strong interest in bringing Panda Z, Stratos 4 Advance and Scrapped Princess to the UK.
<li>They are waiting to see how successful the UK release of Crest of the Stars (currently unscheduled) is before making a decision on Banner of the Stars and Banner of the Stars 2.
<li>Beez are planning DVD art-boxes for a lot of their releases (no specific titles confirmed).
<li>The UK release of Wolf's Rain will feature UK-exclusive limited edition versions.
<li>Beez's panel also illustrated their buisness priorites; specifically working towards TV in Europe and releasing more anime soundtracks as well as syncronising the UK with the French industry (in terms of DVD releases).

MVM news
<li>Burst Angel, Gunslinger Girl, Samurai 7 and Tenjho Tenge are all planned to hit the UK in 2006.
<li>New UK license acquisitions are Requiem from the Darkness, Saiyuki Reload, Twin Signal and Gestalt.
<li>The first volume of Ikkitousen aka Battle Vixens (due November 2005) will be released in the UK with an art box and the first volume of the manga (from ToykoPop). This limited edition release will be the same price as the stand alone first DVD volume.
<li>MVM are hoping to get Full Metal Alchemist and Yu Yu Hakusho on UK TV.
<li>Next year MVM are planning to cut back their DVD releases to four a month and similiarly expects ADV to cut back their number of UK releases too.
<li>MVM commented that the likes of Geneon are now starting to consult them on which series to license for the UK and also revealed their disappointment in Gantz only managing a 15 certificate from the BBFC since 18 rated anime tends to sell a lot better (triple sales compared with lower age ratings).

Tokyopop UK news
<li>It is probable that Tokyopop UK will start releasing (through a different distributor) Tokyopop US' anime series (a line-up that includes Great Teacher Onizuka aka GTO, Initial D and Rave Master) in the UK next year (selection based on whatever anime has been popular in the US).
<li>Their manga releases have been doing really well at the smaller high street chain stores (like Borders) and are set to make an impact at the likes of Waterstones and WH Smiths in the future.
<li>TokyoPop UK's best seller is "Battle Royale, followed closely by Chobits, Fruits Basket and Love Hina". As with their probable anime releases, TokyoPop UK choose manga series based on their success in the US.</ul>More news from AyaCon will be posted as and when it is available.

Hmm Scrapped Princess UK release I will look into, but other than that really notihng else that interests me. Gilgamesh in 06 may mean I look into the US release, I'm a bit suprised they aren't releasing anything new now till 06 actually. Madlax in march? I'm really glad I can import it.

I'm really looking forward to Crest of the Stars (seems like Gundam without the mecha) and Wolf's Rain. I'll be waiting for the art box. A little disappointed to see no mention of the Escaflowne problems though.

The other big surprise is Tokyopop UK claiming a probable UK release of their US anime series. I'm particularly interested in checking out GTO (since it's got such a massive reputation).

So just MVM to go now. Fingers crossed they haven't been hurt by the recent fire and resultant delays.

IanC said:
Paul said:
A little disappointed to see no mention of the Escaflowne problems though.
Maybe no one brought it up? :roll:

Your point being? Of course no one brought it up.

Thinking of Escaflowne, I wonder if Beez ever intend to release the movie over here. Fingers crossed they will eventually snap up Fantastic Children too :)

Paul said:
Thinking of Escaflowne, I wonder if Beez ever intend to release the movie over here.
I've been hoping to see that get a UK release for a while.

I think that although no head way seems to have been made on the tv front, i like the fact that they are discussing it at all and that they are trying, they might actually makesome headway in the future, especially if Fullmetal Alchemist does well.

I was wondering how much MVM would be hurt by this fire, lets hope not to much

Wolf's Rain and Scrapped Princess will be definite purchases for me, the possiblity of an artbox as well as the mooted UK-exclusive limited editions makes me glad I managed to resist importing both series.........now I'm really looking forward to seeing what Beez come up with. :)

Mangaminx said:
Gilgamesh in 06 may mean I look into the US release, I'm a bit suprised they aren't releasing anything new now till 06 actually. Madlax in march? I'm really glad I can import it.

I have to agree, I certainly won't hang around for Elfen Lied and Gilgamesh until 2006 and whilst I'm glad they are getting a UK release, which is in turn great news for R2 buyers, I'd rather not have to wait till next year to buy them myself.

some of the news is great (all the talk about boxarts and stuff) where other stuff isn't (much much anime on tv). i was hopeing more would be revealed over this con from the companys as its like the biggest of the year but not much has been revealed at all.

Paul said:
I'm really looking forward to Crest of the Stars (seems like Gundam without the mecha)

Its not and it may well be better than Gundam. Im still speechless that they're releasing it, i was going to get the R1 set soon but now ill hold off. Same with the rest of Elfen Lied and Area 88

Gilgamesh would have been on my list, but I've already bought the first US volume - wasn't expecting that one :D
Chromartie High School is a rather unusual choice. I really couldn't get into it, all the constant references to the manga, drove me nuts and as I rarely read shounen manga, I wasn't prepared to fork out the cash to read it :(

Just to let everyone know that we just updated the thread with news from MVM's panel.

MVM panel news

Burst Angel, Gunslinger Girl, Samurai 7 and Tenjoe Tenje are all planned to hit the UK in 2006.

New UK license acquisitions are Requiem from the Darkness, Saiyuki Reload, Twin Signal and Gestalt.

The first volume of Ikkitousen (due November 2005) will be released in the UK with an art box and the first volume of the manga (from ToykoPop). This limited edition release will be the same price as the stand alone first DVD volume.

MVM are hoping to get Full Metal Alchemist and Yu Yu Hakusho on UK TV.

Next year MVM are planning to cut back their DVD releases to four a month and similarly expects ADV to cut back their number of releases too.

MVM commented that the likes of Geneon are now starting to consult them on which series to license for the UK and also revealed their disappointment that Gantz only managed a 15 certificate from the BBFC since 18 rated anime tends to sell a lot better (triple sales compared with lower age ratings).

Paul said:
Just to let everyone know that we just updated the thread with news from MVM's panel.

MVM panel news

Burst Angel, Gunslinger Girl, Samurai 7 and Tenjoe Tenje are all planned to hit the UK in 2006.

New UK license acquisitions are Requiem from the Darkness, Saiyuki Reload, Twin Signal and Gestalt.

The first volume of Ikkitousen (due November 2005) will be released in the UK with an art box and the first volume of the manga (from ToykoPop). This limited edition release will be the same price as the stand alone first DVD volume.

Next year MVM are planning to cut back their DVD releases to four a month and similarly expects ADV to cut back their number of releases too.

MVM commented that the likes of Geneon are now starting to consult them on which series to license for the UK and also revealed their disappointment that Gantz only managed a 15 certificate from the BBFC since 18 rated anime tends to sell a lot better (triple sales compared with lower age ratings).

Requiem From The Darkness is interesting (was going to buy this ages ago then decided not to) , question is do I wait for a UK release or get the Geneon slimpak.

Wasn't Burst Angel due in October in the UK? (In fact the latest issue of NEO confirms it) looks like they are having to spread out their releases more. Which makes sense to be fair, too many titles at once lead to over-saturation.

Good news about anime getting on UK TV any "proper" (read non 4Kids or Dragonball related) anime getting on TV here is a plus to increase the number of fans.

Good news on Ikki-Tousen getting a release with extras too (not suprised seeing as its a small series at 4 discs) .

What about Saiyuki the original series, I thought ADV were releasing it so when are they? Surely MVM can't release Relod until the first series is out.

Awesome, MVM have been trying to get YYH on TV for years I hear, so I think we can presume that there the 2 shows which RaptureTV are finalising the deal for!? If it is I cant wait!

Some titles there that I'm not sure I can wait until 2006 for (Gunslinger Girl in particular is something I want sooner rather than later), however I'm glad I haven't picked up the Ikki Tousen anime or manga yet as I can now invest in the R2 release with artbox. Similarly the Wolf's Rain UK LE's would sound good if I didn't already have half the series.

Surprised to see Area 88 getting a UK release, from the trailers I've seen it looks quite dire and entirely forgettable. Just as long as ADV don't follow it up with Yugo the Negotiator... :p

Paul said:
MVM panel news
Dont mention the fact that they are calling Ikkitousen "Battle Vixens" to help with the cross premotion then.

Red XIII said:
Surprised to see Area 88 getting a UK release, from the trailers I've seen it looks quite dire and entirely forgettable. Just as long as ADV don't follow it up with Yugo the Negotiator... :p
Comments ive read on both series have made me put them in my "pick up if they get a UK release" list (which is a damn big list :'( )

IanC said:
Dont mention the fact that they are calling Ikkitousen "Battle Vixens" to help with the cross premotion then.

Hmm doing this would mean UK exclusive covers at least for the text as both Geneon's and Madman's releases have it down as Ikki Tousen on the covers (or "Bakunyu Hyper Battle Ikki Tousen" if you want to be picky). I'm curious to see whether they rename the UK DVD release to "Battle Vixens" or not. This seems just a way of incurring unessecery costs to me.

Paul said:
MVM news
<li>Requiem from the Darkness
<li>MVM are hoping to get Full Metal Alchemist and Yu Yu Hakusho on UK TV.
<li>Next year MVM are planning to cut back their DVD releases to four a month and similiarly expects ADV to cut back their number of UK releases too.
<li>.. and also revealed their disappointment in Gantz only managing a 15 certificate from the BBFC since 18 rated anime tends to sell a lot better (triple sales compared with lower age ratings).

I thought there were a number of interesting things in the MVM panel. I'm not sure whether or not to see them reducing their number of releases as a backwards step or not; this is perhaps pre-empting the over-saturation of the US anime industry (talking of which, Otakon seems to confirm that a lot of the US companies are slowing down too; especially ADV), but then MVM don't release rubbish series.

Also, the fact an 18-rated anime series sells triple the amount of a less violent series just goes to show how little the mainstream perception of anime has changed since the ultra-violence days of the mid-90s. Pretty much confirms we need more anime on TV to reach the mainstream and the fact that Fullmetal Alchemist and Yu Yu Hakusho seem close to securing a deal is a massive boost- especially for FMA.

And I'm looking forward to Requiem from the Darkness. It looks creepy and dark, exactly the type of thing lacking in the UK right now (outside of Texhnolyze).

FMA will be one for the adults etc but Yu Yu Hakusho will appeal to anyone, kids will enjoy it because of the fighting etc but its not too kiddy, its just basically mindless fun but not as mindless as say dbz.

Back