UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

MVM's DOTW this week is Skip Beat

UK Anime Store

I'd hate to see the sales figures on this one, getting a DOTW ~6 months after release
The Kickstarter had some woes, too. I don't think the sales figures are any much better there.

It doesn't surprise me though, because the production quality for this show is quite below average even for it's time. And the Kickstarter marketed it as a sort of milestone miracle title, should the campaign succeed.
That being said, I still supported the Kickstarter in hopes for the next Pied Piper release, because if anything Ann's doing her best effort to bring a really good release, even if all that effort for that specific show kind of felt pretty wasted to me.
(But she went on to support RS' a Aria Kickstarter after that, so the next Pied Piper release is probably still some ways off.)

Yeah the kickstarter made it sound like some bastion of Shojo and tbh I never heard of it prior to the announcement. And the whole it needs a dub to be licensed still doesn't make much sense to me

The Manga does start off very strong though. The Anime unfortunately isn't half as good, it's kind of looking and sounding just cheap. (Except for the voice actors.)
The Manga has unfortunately declined somewhat, after the romance aspect is getting more grounds. An adaption like how Ouran High School got it, would have been a perfect fit for Skip Beat. (Especially that it has a lot of those Gimmicks that Ouran's first episode did better than the manga.)

Not sure how applicable this is to people, as you will need to use a proxy shipping service to send the items abroad (and almost certainly be stung by customs), but Sentai currently have another big sale on their website. Definitely worth a look if anyone wants to pick up some of their premium sets or is planning a bulk purchase that will justify the additional shipping expenses

BLOWOUT SALE

Last edited:
im thinking best to wait for the big one next month during black friday which will no doubt offer bigger discounts and also allow some of the other upcoming sentai titles to ship out at same time

If you're feeling extra cheap season one is only £29.49 on Zavvi ;)

Testament of Sister New Devil - Part 1 Collectors
Hmm..... well I'm curious to know the BBFC result of Season 2 before I pickup the set for consistency reasons anyway. Given that AL have already set it for this month it's probably uncut (unless Funimation used the broadcast masters or were given hybrids (like Tsugumono)).

Will definitely look into a proxy shipping sometime. Didn't Sentai say they would look into international shipping at some point anyway?

I did send Sentai a message during their Summer sale to see if I could make a special order with them, but just got a typical pr company response regarding "not at this current time", etc. Personally, I wouldn't hold out hope for their policy to change anytime soon.

If it helps, the US company I used for proxy shipping to the UK was 'Shipito', which I had a pretty good experience with. The package arrived a little banged up, but as the company attaches photos of the box when it arrives at their depo warehouse, it was obvious that occurred domestically, on-route to them. The items turned out fine either way.

I also recently used 'White Rabbit Express' to buy the Land of the Lustrous Concept Art Book straight from Studio Orange's site, so I'd also recommend that if you're desperate for something not available on Amazon.JP or another Japanese site that doesn't ship internationally. I think it cost about £7 for them to buy the item for you (in addition to its actual cost and domestic shipping), & another £11 in for 7-10 day tracked shipping. If you decide to buy the item yourself there are other sites that will give you a proxy address like 'Shipito', that will presumably result in slightly cheaper fees, but I decided to play it safe and let someone else handle the communication/purchase, in case there was a later problem.

Back