TV license

chaos

The Boss
Just came to the realisation that I don't need to pay TV license anymore:
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-y ... -tv-TOP12/

I never really turned the TV on to watch it, And I haven't an antennae connected for the last 2 years at least. I remember that when I first investigated the issue, there was even people being harassed due to having computers, which theoretically could receive TV signal, and I would have to pay because I have a TV, which has always been for console and my DVD/BD's.

I just thought that I would vent....

I barely watch TV, but I'll gladly pay the TV licence simply to make sure that we have a source of news outside of corporate control, and that Adam Curtis has somewhere to show his documentaries. The Power of Nightmares has still not been shown on US television, something which would worry me were it the case in this country. I think it will be a dark day when the BBC ceases to be a publicly funded.

As I still live at home, Mum pays the TV license as she and my step-dad watch TV (and I sometimes watch the news). However, it's been well known for a while now that if you only use a TV for gaming or DVD/BDs, you don't need one. When my older brother flat shared with a guy in London, the TV licensing people actually came over, but were satisfied when they realised that the TV wasn't being used to watch TV.

If you don't have a TV license the letters they send out are rather threatening sounding but always seem to fail to mention that it isn't a crime to not watch live broadcasted UK TV without one. The amount of time at work I've tried to convince people that they don't need to pay a TV license if they aren't actually watching live TV... Some still don't believe me.

An American exchange student in my halls in first year thought the TV license letters were hilarious and took them home as souvenirs! The longer you don't pay, the more angry and red the letters get!

His TV Licence messages will cease to be the subject of badinage when they send their BBC Daleks to harangue him further. (Should they fail, the entire cast of Last of the Summer Wine will be deployed to his private quarters for immediate action.)

animefreak17 said:
dont watch tv theres never nothing on.
Pretty much this. I usually just check the iPlayers once a week or two.

The only person in my house who watches the TV other than to check the news quickly for a couple of minutes are my step-dad, who only really watches the auction shows, my little brother who watches kid's TV and my other, older younger brother who watches the occasional football match. That might sound like a lot, but it only averages at around 2-3 hours a day. Not really worth the cost of the TV license to be honest.

Sy said:
If you don't have a TV license the letters they send out are rather threatening sounding but always seem to fail to mention that it isn't a crime to not watch live broadcasted UK TV without one. The amount of time at work I've tried to convince people that they don't need to pay a TV license if they aren't actually watching live TV... Some still don't believe me.
The keyword here is "live" - I don't watch live TV at all. Until recently, I was misinformed and had the impression that having a TV made me liable to pay for a license.

st_owly said:
An American exchange student in my halls in first year thought the TV license letters were hilarious and took them home as souvenirs! The longer you don't pay, the more angry and red the letters get!
That's what one calls bullying, no?

Funnily enough, the other day me and my Grandpa ended up in an argument over this issue. I suggested that as there's not much on TV, it might just be better to get rid of any aerials/sky boxes and just use the TV for DVDs/Games etc and not pay the license. He refused to believe that you don't have to pay a TV license if you don't watch live TV.
Yet he believes everything the Daily Mail writes.

Old people 9.9

See I side with Ayase with this, i love the idea of BBC (and the Doctor Who content it provides...) and the thought of that dying is bad, i mean we need something like that which is unbiased (some people think they are anti-torie...i prefer to think of it just as them telling how it is).

But i do understand what some people are saying about the licensing fees, things have moved on considerablly since they were first thought up. A rethink is required, but first we would have to find a way for the BBC to be funded without resorting to advertising, or fee increasing for those of us who do watch the beeb or tv in general. That is the issue which is quite tricky to solve.

BlackWolf said:
See I side with Ayase with this, i love the idea of BBC (and the Doctor Who content it provides...) and the thought of that dying is bad, i mean we need something like that which is unbiased (some people think they are anti-torie...i prefer to think of it just as them telling how it is).

But i do understand what some people are saying about the licensing fees, things have moved on considerablly since they were first thought up. A rethink is required, but first we would have to find a way for the BBC to be funded without resorting to advertising, or fee increasing for those of us who do watch the beeb or tv in general. That is the issue which is quite tricky to solve.
Doctor Who is highly profitable, I doubt it would go without the licenses.
But in general, I don't watch TV, so I don't see a reason to pay for that.

Whenever I use particular devices to connect to the net in the brief time (or if you browse available networks) it takes to find my network and log in there is, nine times out of ten, a network labelled 'TV Detector Van'. Either someone is having a laugh or the BBC are very suspicious of this area :|

Back