Tsubasa Chronicle

Another excellent show, that amazingly has yet to be licensed. Based on the CLAMP manga of the same name (well, almost the same name), Tsubasa is partially a tribute to CLAMP, with various cameos and worlds based on various manga, but is also a fabulous adventure of its own.

Sakura and Syaraon of Cardcaptor Sakura are reimaginated in a vaguely medieval kingdom, Sakura as a princess and Syaraon as the son of an archologist. One night, Sakura is drawn to the ruins that Syaraon excavates and activates a series of effects that result in the pair being sent to Yuuki of xxxholic, the Dimension Witch, along with the warrior Kurogane from feudal Japan and Fye, a mysterious wizard from a enhancting castle (who also happens to have created Chii of Chobits fame in this tale). Syaraon wishes to collect Sakura's scattered memories, Kurogane to be sent back to his home world and Fye to be anywhere but his home world. The three have different motivations, but as they travel through worlds together in pursuit of their goals, they start to become closer and understand eachother better, aided by the cute mascot Moyona.

Tsubasa contains cameos from hundreds of CLAMP characters, whether they be from Rayearth, X or the equally fantastic xxxholic. The characters have different personalities and different voice actors from the original characters, yet everything still retains the CLAMP charm. The animation is fabulous to say the least, and the plot is interesting, and certainly will be excellent if it follows the manga faithfully.

A highly recommended series, which contains the CLAMP magic perhaps more than any other anime adpation of their works thus far. 8)

I've been following this ever since the first episode came out. The only reason I really gave it a shot was because Dattebayo had began subbing it, and I noticed that they began posting the torrents on their website. Great series though, still very new as well (8/9 episodes so far).

This started off very badly! The first episode almost put me off for good. It was a Clamp without the finesse of Clamp, the characters looked wooden and flat and the storyline seemed to have no purpose. Even up to the 4th episode I wasn't sure if I liked it or not, then from episode 5 onwards it has really picked up in a wonderful way and is finally a Clamp story/animation!
I have to say I love Fye D. Flowright, he's gorgeous :D Shaoron is kinda sweet, but Sakura is as charasmatic as an old boot! Her seiyuu has a boring voice, but I guess it goes with her personality! Makona talks - blech! but I do enjoy seeing the Clamp crossover characters.
The one true shining point of this anime is the music, esp. the BGM.

I have to agree with Miaka-chan, this series didn't get off to the best of starts. The first few episodes seemed very awkward and rushed coming across too forced as well as muddled, from about episode four onwards it just seemed to flow alot better, you begin to feel comfortable with the characters, there's some much needed expostion and things begin to gel together. Plus Kurogane is too cool for words :p

I had the same problem as Miaka-chan and Paranoia Agent. Except that after not liking two or three episodes, I gave up. I prefer the manga, and that's a fair way from briliant itself.

t0ffe3m4n^ said:
Kurogane is cool, his Kudan (the sword and the "Dragon") was awsome :).
The 3 kudans of Shaoron, Kurogane and Fye are Rayearth, Windam and Selece from Magic Knight Rayearth.
I loved the kudan of that kid in the first world they visited (can't remember his name), it was also from MKR, as was the girl with the music/karaoke kudan, she's was a little fairy in MKR though!

I've been reading the Tsubasa and XXXholic mangas, I'm quite dissapointed with this anime adaptaion I have to say.

From the manga I get the CLAMP magic vibe, however from the anime I get nothing. The animation is very poor for CLAMP imo, although I do quite enjoy the music.

The seiyuu is also very off, hardly anyone has the type of voice I imagined them with apart from Kurogane, and Fai.

When they showed the XXXholic characters I was also dissapointed, Yuko is portrayed as being so much more sexier and michiefus (*sp is wrong I know :/).

I don't think I'll carry on with the anime maybe just stick with the manga.

Btw for those who didn't already know there is a XXXHolic and Tsubasa movie or ova coming up soon.

I'm still not sure whether i want to watch this or not, kind of want to as it seems to be one of those big thing animes, but i'm really not sure if i would like it

Charter_Mage said:
I'm still not sure whether i want to watch this or not, kind of want to as it seems to be one of those big thing animes, but i'm really not sure if i would like it

It's not that bad actually! I was too excited about seeing it, which is why it was such a let down for me, but as you don't seem that bothered one way or the other, I reckon you should give it a go! Don't just watch the first episode though, watch at least 2 or 3 to get a real "feel" of the show :D

I was really excited about watching it in the first place, but i had lots of other things i was trying to watch at the time already (still do actually), though then people began saying it wasn't very good so i've got a bit disheartened, though i think i will give it a watch, just not sure whether i should try Monster first

Charter_Mage said:
I was really excited about watching it in the first place, but i had lots of other things i was trying to watch at the time already (still do actually), though then people began saying it wasn't very good so i've got a bit disheartened, though i think i will give it a watch, just not sure whether i should try Monster first

It depends on whether you want to be entertained by cute characters, in a fantasy world, or if you want drama, suspense and the creeps!
If you want the former, go for Tsubasa, if you want the latter, go for Monster!!

t0ffe3m4n^ said:
What episode is it up to now? To be quite honest I've kinda forgotten about it, I think I've only seen to, like, episode 11...
Well, you can only have forgotten quite recently, because episode 12 was just released on fansub :lol:

*uses Phoenix Down on thread*

It's been a long time. ;)

Tsubasa, for me, has become greater with every episode. The soundtrack has to be one of my favourites of all time, it's wonderful and is perfectly adapated to the series. The animation is in the trademark CLAMP style and is most clean and detailed. The series has taken a slightly darker turn, and the action, storyline and cast have all grown to create a superb world-voyaging epic.

Last episode, 24, was my favourite yet. Kurogane's epic fight wasn't as long as in the manga, but was still an equally matched duel that truly made my heart leap. The whole twist with Oruha is interesting to say the least, I can't wait to see what happens in the final two episodes of this season.

It's such a shame we have to wait until next year for second of three planned 26-episode runs, but the sidestory movie will of course fill some of the void.

Back