Torchwood- Children of Earth

Yunagirl

Completely Average High School Student
AMAZING 5-parter dontcha think? So intense and so exiting! I couldn't believe the loss of Ianto~ so sad (T ^ T) as for the fact the aliens turned out to be using the children as drugs, talk about make you mad! The final episode left me speechless, I just sat there part horrified part relieved. It was such a mix of thoughts as to what happened, such an unpredictable ending~ : O

What are your thoughts?

Unfortunatly i did...I wasn't not impressed at all, if this was Torchwoods swansong (something i doubt) then it went out with a whimper in my opinion. Captain Jack acted out of character a few times, and i know it's supposed to be "adult" but being dark for dark's sake isn't adult.

There is also a few conunity errors brought up by this as well which i found amusing. Like that Captain Jack turns into the Face of Boe, as far as this series is corcenered, its impossible since Jack has already stated he's a fixed point in time, meaning no aging and no changing

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I don't even get the show at all. The original premise of something being similar to the equivalent of a British X-Files seemed like a great idea to me. Something a little more mature for the older viewers but all that they seemed to do was throw in some more risque language, make it a little more violent and gave it more sexual content. Apparently this makes a show dark and adult but it still looks to me like it was filmed as a kid show. Don't get me wrong some of the stories were decent and could have probably been something but for whatever reason (the characters, the SFX, the way it was filmed) it just comes across as being adult for the sake of being adult and completely cringeworthy. I watched the first couple of these new episodes on iplayer and nothing seems to have changed.

It's a really confused show. Trying so desperately to appeal to an older audience but would probably more appealing to kids. The unnecessary content alienates them however.

kupocake said:
"Like Chucklevision with Cum-shots"
- Charlie Brooker
Do you like You Have Been Watching? It started off okay, but its progressively gotten better. Not the funniest panel-ish show ever (goes to Buzzcocks), but in these dire days of broadcast TV (till fall). I find enjoyment in it. Even if Charlie's trying to appeal to the mainstream.

Jayme said:
Do you like You Have Been Watching? It started off okay, but its progressively gotten better. Not the funniest panel-ish show ever (goes to Buzzcocks), but in these dire days of broadcast TV (till fall). I find enjoyment in it. Even if Charlie's trying to appeal to the mainstream.
This week's was a little poor. Got Talent was a pretty cheap shot (that was dealt with more effectively on newswipe) and Charlie seemed in full chummy giggle mode everytime his guests made a noise (Reece Shearsmith didn't look like who wanted to be their either). It's not a classic quizcom, but it's worth watching for the odd moment of stinging hilarity. Just like I used to trawl PCZone to read whatever Brooker had reviewed, regardless of interest in the actual game. Though that was usually because he used rude words.

I finished this earlier and it started off okay, I mean, slightly better than most Russel T. Davis stuff but nothing brilliant, because he ain't brilliant - it felt very Doctor Who. There's an marked improvement around episode three and during episode four I thought some of the discussion mirrored Battlestar Galactica's level of writing. I was actually impressed for once my in my life that real tension had cropped up (in Torchwood, nonetheless).

This is my first viewing of anything Torchwood, and I'm not going to go back on watching the first two seasons due to everyone calling it crap but, I agree with the majority of viewers that this was actually quite good. It had less worm holes than The End of Time and carried more genuine emotion, and not emotion for emotions sake.

So, I liked it.

Worst part was easily Jack saying "I'm back" in Arnie fashion. Whoever came up with that idea is a moron.

My little sister was in Children of Earth. She was the best thing for me.

I'm not a particular fan of Torchwood but I appreciate the fact that Russell T Davies regenerated Dr. Who. I'm looking forward to Steven Moffat's stewardship of the series. It looks darker, scarier and much more exciting. He was responsible for the best episodes - Blink, The Girl in the Fireplace - so I'm anticipating the action to come even if I'll always prefer David Tennant to Matt Smith (as far as modern Doctors go 8) )

Genkina Hito said:
I'll always prefer David Tennant to Matt Smith (as far as modern Doctors go 8) )
That's a little unfair since you haven't even really seen him in action as of yet. He might surprise you.

Have you lot seen the promo shot?

500x_109684.png.jpg

It's pretty impressive that even though facially the Doctors have gotten younger, they dress older. Christopher Eccleston looks particularly rocking compared to them.

Back