8 - Bleach
7 - One Piece
6 - Hitman Reborn!
5 - Get Backers
4 - Samurai Champloo
3 - Cowboy Bebop
2 - Death Note
1 - Akira

Just so you know, mixing up Tv series/OVAs/Films, is to me not a fair comparison as they do completely different things - hence my splitting my list into three. I don't care if it is ignored, I just think mixing them all up together is not a fare comparison. I mean most would rank their favourite tv show and fave film seperately, I do the same with anime.

Warmaster said:
Just so you know, mixing up Tv series/OVAs/Films, is to me not a fair comparison as they do completely different things - hence my splitting my list into three. I don't care if it is ignored, I just think mixing them all up together is not a fare comparison. I mean most would rank their favourite tv show and fave film seperately, I do the same with anime.

I agree. I think this contest should revolve solely around anime series.

CitizenGeek said:
Warmaster said:

I agree. I think this contest should revolve solely around anime series.

which is usually what i do myself hence why i say it can be a hell of a hard job to run

ok warmaster i did count your votes and yes you have made a good point about it not being fair to count ovas, movies and tv series all together. i am thinking of doing another top 10 with a different anime theme for july and i am going to use this as a learning exercise for the next one where it will be laid out at the beinging to avoid confusion. i am sorry about the confusion but we might as well finsih this up now or there will be angry users on this forum. by the way if anyone else is reading this one list only.

10 points ~ 5 Centimeters Per Second
9 points ~ Ghost in the Shell [the whole dealy...]
8 points ~ Spirited Away
7 points ~ Hellsing
8 points ~ Dragonball Z 8)
7 points ~ The Place Promised in Our Early Days
6 points ~ The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
5 points ~ Death Note
4 points ~ Gurren Lagann
3 points ~ Fullmetal Alchemist
2 points ~ Ouran High School Host Club
1 points ~ Azumanga Daioh

Argh i hate mixing films and series. Could we have two separate competitions next time? I know its a pain but i get the feeling that certain anime series will gouge my eyes out whilst im sleeping because of how ive relegated them. Anyways this is my series-only list.

10 Points: Cowboy Bebop
9 Points: Serial Experiments Lain
8 Points: Ghost in the Shell
7 Points: Elfen Lied
6 Points: Full Metal Alchemist
5 Points: Ouran High School Host Club
4 Points: Monster
3 Points: Neon Genesis Evangelion
2 Points: Samurai 7
1 Point: Cardcaptor Sakura

I dunno that they're completely incomparable, some movies are like TV episodes (example: almost every Shounen Jump anime movie ever) and some OAVs are interchangeable with movies (example: movie/OAV reedits like Macross Plus, or OAVs sold as movies in the west like Tekken). Then some TV series are recut for DVD with extra scenes, or have extra OAV episodes tagged on the end with the same production values as the TV show had.

I agree that an epic kind of movie has a very different feel to a lighthearted monster of the week fighting show, but there's just as much of a gulf between different movies or TV series of the same "type" too...

Edit: This was written in response to the earlier post and not the one directly above mine which just appeared!

R

Rui said:
I dunno that they're completely incomparable, some movies are like TV episodes (example: almost every Shounen Jump anime movie ever) and some OAVs are interchangeable with movies (example: movie/OAV reedits like Macross Plus, or OAVs sold as movies in the west like Tekken). Then some TV series are recut for DVD with extra scenes, or have extra OAV episodes tagged on the end with the same production values as the TV show had.

I agree that an epic kind of movie has a very different feel to a lighthearted monster of the week fighting show, but there's just as much of a gulf between different movies or TV series of the same "type" too...

Edit: This was written in response to the earlier post and not the one directly above mine which just appeared!

R

Tell that to Spike when i place Princess Mononoke above Cowboy Bebop.

That dvd box is going to creep along in the dead of night with a pillow, and keep the pressure on until the struggling stops.

I do see your point though, especially due to some series spawning films and so-on. Because of plot lines etc you cannot distinguish the two but the Studio Ghibli films in particular stand out so much when compared to monumental series like FMA or CB. Its a real toss-up between production value and the amount of entertainment you got out of an hour and a halve's entertainment compared to the 10 odd hours a series gives you.

devilrules666 said:
ok warmaster i did count your votes and yes you have made a good point about it not being fair to count ovas, movies and tv series all together. i am thinking of doing another top 10 with a different anime theme for july and i am going to use this as a learning exercise for the next one where it will be laid out at the beinging to avoid confusion. i am sorry about the confusion but we might as well finsih this up now or there will be angry users on this forum. by the way if anyone else is reading this one list only.

Nah, don't worry too much, It is personal preference and I didn't think this was any kind of 'official' list, just self thoughts. I know some may struggle to list say 10 OVAS, but that comes with the times - if this was the early/mid ninties I expect most could list 10 films and OVAs but struggle with series *shrug* but it is just a personal belief that it they are very different mediums.

As some have suggested, perhaps a list for films and one for series. OVAs are perhaps more difficult as they do generally fall somewhat in between in general, but are often rather more 'arty' as it were. But equally excluding them doesn't really help either - Read or Die has to be on any of my lists.

But then, any lists like these are hard to be completely inclusive and completely fair, it is always compromise.

Just my two pence.

Maltos said:
10 points ~ 5 Centimeters Per Second
9 points ~ Ghost in the Shell [the whole dealy...]
8 points ~ Spirited Away
7 points ~ Hellsing
8 points ~ Dragonball Z 8)
7 points ~ The Place Promised in Our Early Days
6 points ~ The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
5 points ~ Death Note
4 points ~ Gurren Lagann
3 points ~ Fullmetal Alchemist
2 points ~ Ouran High School Host Club
1 points ~ Azumanga Daioh
o_O Uh, you have 12 anime there...

10 points: Cowboy Bebop
9 points: Neon Genesis Evangelion
8 points: Wolf's Rain
7 points: Full Metal Alchemist
6 points: Death Note
5 points: Samurai Champloo
4 points: Dragonball Z
3 points: Outlaw Star
2 points: Ghost in the Shell SAC
1 point: Gilgamesh

10 points: The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
9 points : Clannad (2008 Version)
8 points : Rozen Maiden
7 points : Hayate no Gotoku
6 points : Azumanga Daioh
5 points : Zero no Tsukaima
4 points : Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's
3 points : Lucky Star
2 points : Shigofumi
1 point : Kage Kara Mamoru

In truth, this list is much better fitting of a "favourite anime series released during the past year or two" list. However, I'll put these forward for this year's set of voting anyway.

update time! the top 10 as it now stands!

1:Evangelion=86 Points
2:Ghost In The Shell=82 Points
3:One Piece=82 Points
4:Cowboy Bebop=78 Points
5:Fullmetal Alchemist=72 Points
6:Harui Suzuimaya=57 Points
7:Full Metal Panic=48 Points
8:Death Note=43 Points
9:FLCL=38 Points
10:Bleach=35 Points

1:10 points= Neon Genesis Evangelion
2:9 points=Rozen Maiden
3:8 points= Azumanga Daioh
4:7 points= Elfen Lied
5:6 points= Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
6:5 ponts= (The) Slayers
7:4 points=Galaxy Angel
8:3 points= Haibane Renmei
9:2 points= Cowboy Bebop
10:1 point= Full Metal Panic

Nil points= England :p

1:10 points = Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann
2:9 points = One Piece
3:8 points = Outlaw Star
4:7 points = Bleach
5:6 points = Full Metal Alchemist
6:5 ponts = D. Gray-Man
7:4 points = Chobits
8:3 points = Trigun
9:2 points = Neon Genesis Evangelion
10:1 point = Naruto

I don't like the direction Naruto is going anymore, but when I first watched it I marathoned it so hard and enjoyed it so much I had to include it.

1. 10 points - Battle Angel Alita
2. 9 points - Claymore
3. 8 points - Perfect Blue
4. 7 points - Akira
5. 6 points - Cyber City Oedo 808
6. 5 points - Project A-Ko
7. 4 points - The Guyver
8. 3 points - Dominion Tank Police
9. 2 points - Devil Man
10. 1 points - Judge

Do you think I'm missing out on any more say, modern classics???

Chronos said:
1. 10 points - Battle Angel Alita
2. 9 points - Claymore
3. 8 points - Perfect Blue
4. 7 points - Akira
5. 6 points - Cyber City Oedo 808
6. 5 points - Project A-Ko
7. 4 points - The Guyver
8. 3 points - Dominion Tank Police
9. 2 points - Devil Man
10. 1 points - Judge

Do you think I'm missing out on any more say, modern classics???

Yikes, someone has been watching old Manga video stuff! I remember watching Judge like 8 years ago (wasn't a fan I must say) But Project A-KO is always a great laugh (And I still am trying to find DVDs of the origional Dominion Tank Police!)

EDIT: And goes to amazon and finally finds both dvds there! WOOT!

Back