Top 10 anime of all time! (2014 vote)

Re: Top 10 anime of all time!

Agent-347 said:
I mean, are we going to complain about the QC of the anime industry when we can't even QC a simple survey?! Isn't that hypocrisy?
Not really, no.

After much deliberation (these lists are srs biz after all) I present to you all my top ten serial cartoons from Japan.

1. Giant Robo (10)
2. Cowboy Bebop (9)
3. Mushishi (8)
4. Gankutusou (7)
5. Samurai Champloo (6)
6. Baccano (5)
7. The Irresponsible Captain Tylor (4)
8. Gunbuster (3)
9. Spice and Wolf (2)
10. Haruhi (1)

Gah, so much good stuff that didn't quite make it.

01. Cowboy Bebop (10 points)
02. FMA: Brotherhood (9 points)
03. Fate/Zero (8 points)
04. Neon Genesis Evangelion (7 points)
05. Steins;Gate (6 points)
06. Samurai Champloo (5 points)
07. Black Lagoon (4 points)
08. Garden of Sinners (3 points)
09. Code Geass (2 points)
10. Baccano (1 point)

I really wanted to fit Serial Experiments Lain into my list but couldn't bring myself to not include Baccano either. Picking 10 is hard, picking the order is even harder.

I'm quite impressed by how well Steins;Gate is doing; I knew it was popular but it's on so many lists! It sticks out as I thought it was good but not great, personally.

I wonder how well it did for Manga UK?

Being forced to pick and rank just ten titles is certainly cruel. I should have dumped the titles I knew would never place and put my votes towards more sensible things.

R

Agent-347 said:
I mean, are we going to complain about the QC of the anime industry when we can't even QC a simple survey?! Isn't that hypocrisy?

We're not being paid to do so or selling a product for a profit, so no.

Rui said:
I'm quite impressed by how well Steins;Gate is doing; I knew it was popular but it's on so many lists! It sticks out as I thought it was good but not great, personally.

Being forced to pick and rank just ten titles is certainly cruel. I should have dumped the titles I knew would never place and put my votes towards more sensible things.

R
I can't speak for others but I got the Funimation version of Steins;Gate. As for votes, I voted for shows I liked rather than shows I thought would rank highly which is the way people should be voting. As far as I am aware I am one of only two people who have voted for Aria and I have no regrets about doing so and I don't think of it as a wasted vote.

Rui said:

R

I'm surprised too - it's an incredible show, but I'm amazed it's outranking classics like Evangelion. I suppose it shows the generational shift perhaps? It's very much a show for 'our' times.

The individual volumes did very well for Manga last year - the complete collection from this year got off to a slow start (as complete collections often do due to hardcore fans having the volumes already) but is selling pretty well now as it picks up that long tail.

I have to admit, I'm very pleased to see Code Geass up there - it was my 'gateway' show into anime and I like that even now, it seems to have stood the test of time.

Lutga said:
Rui said:

R

I'm surprised too - it's an incredible show, but I'm amazed it's outranking classics like Evangelion. I suppose it shows the generational shift perhaps? It's very much a show for 'our' times.

The individual volumes did very well for Manga last year - the complete collection from this year got off to a slow start (as complete collections often do due to hardcore fans having the volumes already) but is selling pretty well now as it picks up that long tail.

I have to admit, I'm very pleased to see Code Geass up there - it was my 'gateway' show into anime and I like that even now, it seems to have stood the test of time.
I had a list of around 20 shows that I had to cut down to ten. Evangelion was on that list but did not make the final cut. If it had been a top 20 or more then it may have been in more people's lists.

I was surprised to see Steins Gate up there, because I figured it would all be the "classics" - that I ashamedly have seen few of. I struggle with keeping watching them past a few episodes, because I always feel a weight of expectation, like "You SHOULD enjoy this."

Everything I picked on mine were just ones that I had had the most fun watching. I didn't really go for what was considered "good" - just what I enjoyed watching. I made myself not read anyone else's list before putting up my own - so I wasn't subconsciously made to pick the popular ones - so I was pleasantly surprised that people agreed with me on one or two of the shows at least.

Rui said:

R
If what you voted for is your current "Top 10 Anime" then you did what was supposed to happen (I hope everybody read the first post of the thread thoroughly), of course a "Top 10 Anime to Recommend (to others)" would be different.
And it would depend of what sort that survey would be. If it would be to recommend to a non-animefan I doubt as many people would put eg. Madoka Magica so high up their list.
I haven't watched Madoka Magica, but from what I understood it's an anime for otaku. And we should avoid imploding people's brains on their first anime. =P
If it was to recommend to a different animefan... I would actually assume the big names would already have been watched by them.

I haven't watched almost anything from the top 44 tallied up I mentioned on the last page (that's excluding the newer votes as of yet though). Angel Beats, Clannad, Air Gear and Cowboy Bebop. It's literally it.
A quick count of the anime I'm definitely going to watch of the remaining 40 returns me 21 anime.

One of those I'm not sure of yet but actually really want to watch is Aria! The problem is the lack of a dub really.
Aria the Animation is 13 episodes, Aria the Natural is 26 episodes, there's the OVA which on MAL looks to have a cross-over pic with Mirai Nikki and Aria the Origination has 13 episodes.
Watching 53 episodes subbed is a lot for me. The longest anime I watched subbed is 13 episodes (Tari Tari <3), but watching something subbed is really time consuming for me.
But it actually is one of those anime franchises that has been on my radar since my early days as an animefan in 2011, just like Familiar of Zero and Shakugan no Shana.

And alike Aria there are a few other cases - both subbed or dubbed - I don't know of whether I'll watch them as of yet. (cont.)

Lutga said:
On my part the problem is that besides Steel Angel Kurumi and Cowboy Bebop I haven't watched any anime from before 2000 as of yet. Love Hina is one of the oldest anime I saw.
Neon Genesis Evangelion I'm not watching on purpose but is on my "definitely" list, but I'm waiting for Anime Limited (yes, them again) to license that show for an ultimate edition in 2020 or so.
I was originally going to watch the show first and then on yearly basis one of the movies but decided against that last year. It'd indeed mean I'd watch the rebuild before the original.

My point is, I really haven't seen all that many pre-2000 anime. (classics may be the wrong word given certain anime that aren't even 10 years old are considered classics as well)
Also, to be honest... Almost all titles in the top 20 as it stands are going to be considered classics at some point in the future.
That's actually also up for discussion, what do we consider classics? Are that purely anime from the previous century? Or anime we consider to be timeless? Or anime that caused a movement? (etc.)?
Thinking about it, I'm trying to come up with a sub-only anime that is considered a classic, and can't summon one... Maybe a dub is also a criteria for an anime to become a classic. (I'm most likely really wrong on that part though)

mangaman74 said:
I had a list of around 20 shows that I had to cut down to ten. Evangelion was on that list but did not make the final cut. If it had been a top 20 or more then it may have been in more people's lists.
Cowboy Bebop, Air Gear and Samurai Champloo didn't make my top 10, but would almost certainly be part of my top 20. We should be happy it wasn't a top 5. Heads would have rolled. =P

devilrules666 said:
No I have made the mistake you are right. I did ask people to point out if I go wrong so thanks for that!
No problem. Sorry I had to give some sort of virtual slap in the face to prove my point/data/stance. ^_^;

st_owly said:
Agent-347 said:
We're not being paid to do so or selling a product for a profit, so no.
This is a response I actually expected, "we're not being paid, so why would we put effort in it?". Don't get me wrong, I respect your opinion/stance! (Humans are lazy beings and more after all. =P)
It just saddens me to know a lot of people won't do something unless there is personal gain (in most cases money), "I'm doing this just because" is something you rarely hear.
There was no personal gain for me doing the QC round of votes, much to the contrary actually...

st_owly said:
I've never seen Eva, that's why it wasn't on my list.

Same. A lot of the stuff we 'should have seen' is stuff that's not easily available. I don't watch shows unless I feel they suit my taste. Being popular isn't what sways me. A lot of my picks aren't in the top, but that doesn't change that they're my favourites. I quite like seeing all the variety honestly.

Lutga said:
I feel the same regarding Haruhi. I gave it a 10 because it was the show that got me into anime, and I still thoroughly enjoy going back and watching it. Glad to see it picking up mentions here and there.

Not sure about top 10 but my top 5:

1. One Piece
2. Hunter x Hunter 2011
3. Clannad: After Story
4: FMA: Brotherhood
5: Stein's Gate

Agent-347 said:
My point is, I really haven't seen all that many pre-2000 anime. (classics may be the wrong word given certain anime that aren't even 10 years old are considered classics as well)
Also, to be honest... Almost all titles in the top 20 as it stands are going to be considered classics at some point in the future.
That's actually also up for discussion, what do we consider classics? Are that purely anime from the previous century? Or anime we consider to be timeless? Or anime that caused a movement? (etc.)?
Thinking about it, I'm trying to come up with a sub-only anime that is considered a classic, and can't summon one... Maybe a dub is also a criteria for an anime to become a classic. (I'm most likely really wrong on that part though)

Anime is probably rather unique in terms of visual mediums in that so much of it is 'recent' history - obviously anime existed before the likes of Akira and GITS, but from a modern otaku's point of view, those were the kickstarters for a new understanding and consumption of the medium - so basically you have everything bottled up in about 20-30 years, with a great deal of what is currently discussed coming from the past ten years.

One of the reasons why Evangelion is regarded as such a classic is because in many ways it practically invented so many of the character/thematic tropes we see overused in every series today.

Re. a sub only anime that is considered a classic. Off the top of my head, the Monogatari series, but that's very much a 'modern classic' - only time will tell whether it goes down in the history books alongside older shows as significant.

Lutga said:
obviously anime existed before the likes of Akira and GITS, but from a modern otaku's point of view, those were the kickstarters for a new understanding and consumption of the medium

Actually, I'd go later and say Evangelion, which basically kick-started the late night anime industry that makes up so much of what we watch nowadays (including 8 of the top 10 listed on the previous page). Yes, there were a few around before then but they were few in number.

1. Legend of the Galactic Heroes (10 points)
2. Aria the Origination (9 points)
3. Gintama': Enchousen (8 points)
4. Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou (7 points)
5. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (6 points)
6. Usagi Drop (5 points)
7. Ping Pong The Animation (4 points)
8. Azumanga Daioh (3 points)
9. Non Non Biyori (2 points)
10. The Tatami Galaxy (1 point)

I'm assuming movies are off the table, so here's my top 10 series.

1. Welcome To The NHK (10 Points)
2. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG (9 Points)
3. Seitokai no Ichizon/Student Council's Discretion (8 Points)
4. Monster (7 Points)
5. Wagnaria!!/Working!! (6 Points)
6. Legend Of The Galactic Heroes (5 Points)
7. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (4 Points)
8. Black Lagoon (3 Points)
9. Durarara! (2 Points)
10. The Vision of Escaflowne (1 Point)

You're a cruel taskmaster, devil; this was much harder than I first anticipated.

My top 10 anime series of all time are as follows -

1. Shugo Chara!
2. Cardcaptor Sakura
3. XXXHolic
4. Attack On Titan
5. Fate/Zero
6. Lil' Pri
7. Little Busters!
8. NANA
9. Fantasista Doll
10. Say I Love You

I have many more though! But here are 10 of them! ;) :)

Back