Toonami Returns to the US

Genkina Hito

映画男!!!
US cable and satellite network Adult Swim revealed that it will bring the Toonami programmng block out of retirement on the 26th of May.

Toonami was a programming block that ran on Cartoon Network channels in the UK from 2003 to 2007. Its best days saw it broadcast a range of Asian films and anime from Dragon Ball to Blue Submarine No. 6, and Tenchi Muyo!.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gYdsaJURm4U?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gYdsaJURm4U?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Cartoon Network briefly brought back Toonami on April Fools Day earlier this year. Adult Swim followed the broadcast by asking its Twitter followers if they would like Toonami to return. It seems to positivity has worked because now we have confirmation that the network is back and developing "new original anime programming". There is no news as to whether the UK will see Toonami return or if British viewers will be left with little more than fond memories of weekday afternoons packed with Dragon Ball Z, Gundam Wing, and Tenchi in Tokyo.

<a href="https://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2012-05-16/toonami-revival-to-have-new-original-anime-programming">Source </a>

Toonami was always the unobtainable holy grail of TV for me as a kid (alongside Fox Kids). Alas, I only ever got to see Toonami a couple of times a year at other peoples houses. No Sky TV for me back then. :(

It's telling that even in it's highest moments (and they were moments compared to the darth that was "Blob"/Why in god's good earth is Parker Luis can't loose on Toonami? era Toonami) that CNX/Toonami could never actually get much of anything that was both Japanese and a Cartoon or if they did it was with a dub that was highly embarrassing (The "Big Green" dub)

The promise of AAA movies (Action Adventure and Anime) was only true by way of two Toonami level edits of Endless Waltz and Blue Sub 6 both of which were not actually movies.

MaxonTreik said:
I hope they air Big O.

you and me both

if they aired it over here and if they could which one would better for newer audience
dragonball z or kai

i think kai cause it looks newer and as we know young people hate old stuff................. well some anyways

i think they should bring back some old classics and newer ones,

id like to see
get backers
trigun
big O
outlaw star
naruto shippuden
one piece
FMA/BH
bleach
pokemon

ect ect

on our toonami if we ever get it

MaxonTreik said:
I hope they air Big O.

They already have done (just Season 2, though) every saturday for the past year, I think.

Anyway, I think most people who follow me on Twitter know how I feel about this.

It's a very good way to get people into anime, since it's a very strong brand. Especially old Toonami fans who haven't seen new stuff.

Before the inevitable "but it's just reruns of shows you can already see online". Yeah, but, other shows like Friends and Scrubs are rerun to death on TV, and they're available online. Also, a lot of people aren't aware of anime stuff, so they can come across it on TV. People don't go looking out for new stuff unless it's shoved in their face.

They're not gonna announce the line up until the day of release.

Jason DeMarco, former Toonami producer and recently promoted vice president of strategic marketing and promotions for Cartoon Network and Adult Swim, revealed via his Twitter account on Thursday that the revived Toonami block's schedule will remain a secret until its airing on May 26. ANN previously posted TV Guide's listing for Toonami's programming block, but DeMarco responded via Twitter, "That is NOT the lineup. But to be clear, I don't think that's a bad lineup."

The TV Guide listing included Cowboy Bebop, Bleach, Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Durarara!!, FLCL, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG.

Adult Swim, the cable and satellite network that is paired with Cartoon Network, revealed on Wednesday that it will bring back its Toonami programming block. Adult Swim's press release also revealed that "new original anime programming" is being developed for the return of the Toonami programming block. Previous series featured on the block will also make their return.

The press release confirmed that the revived block will be shown once a week from midnight to 6 a.m. on Saturday night/Sunday morning.

The company had asked its Twitter followers in April if they would want the block back. Cartoon Network temporarily brought back Toonami on April Fool's Day, with reruns of such anime as Dragon Ball Z, Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, Tenchi Muyo!, Outlaw Star, Blue Submarine No. 6, Trigun, and more. The marathon had even included newly produced bumper videos of Toonami's mascot T.O.M.

Cartoon Network had ended Toonami in 2008 after an 11-year run.

Joshawott said:
Shame Greg Ayres as Ganta has turned me right away.

Not a fan of him I see?, I don't blame you considering I find most of the voice work he's done to be too loud and whiny (though I'm not finding him that annoying in Baka And Test if only for once he's keeping it toned down)

Bumping this old thread to ask if people still want to see toonami uk make a return? I've been looking at the state of kids tv today and it's not great. Citv just shut down with cbbc expected to shut down in a few years, disney shut down there channels around the time disney plus came around and cartoon network is almost literally teen titans go on a loop. Since that part about cartoon network makes it look like it will be out the door in a few years should they just try one more time by re-branding cartoon network as toonami aimed at the teenage and adult market by showing anime and other shows at a mature market?

Before anyone asks about putting adult swim on cartoon network, they can't ofcom's rull prohibit any mature programs on explicitly kids channels, cnx/toonami got away with it by being an entertainment channel that just happened to have kids shows on it but that meant they could have outlaw star after the watershed and if toonami can be re-branded into the kid focused cartoon network too I see no reason the reverse can't be true.

So does anyone want this? Could be good for people working from home that just want something on in the background, and under ofcom's new rules you can have post watershed shows on pre watershed now so long as there blocked by a pin number from your tv.

Back