TokyoPop anime to be released in the UK?

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
According to Animetion.co.uk, TokyoPop are moving ahead with plans to bring their anime to the UK with the likes of Initial D and GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka already being mooted for a UK DVD release. The news article explains that rather than distribute the DVDs themselves, TokyoPop will be looking to work with existing UK anime companies to release their anime on DVD.

Interesting developments :) I've always been interested in checking out GTO, so this should provide as good a chance as any.

I had a feeling this was coming after the Tokyopop/FUNimation distribution deal in the US.

My first reaction was that MVM might get a chance to bring some of Tokyopop's anime out in the UK... Given their ties to FUNimation, I thought MVM might have something on the cards, plus they're the most likely to get it, given that they've no ties to a US company.

Well my firend Miller will be happy, he loves Initial D. Personally i think it's one of the worst animes(and manga) i've seen. GTO looks a little more interesting though.

This is great news! I love GTO. The first episode was a bit out there, but by the second, you get really attached to the characters. I've always wanted to check out Initial D. (Funnily enough, Onizuka's a fan of Initial D)

I can certainly see MVM handling the UK distribution for them, especially since TP outsourced their distribution to FUNimation recently.

Yep, the idea of GTO anime over here's an appealing one. I just hope my wallet can handle it as it's a pretty long series! (not as long as the manga, but that's a different subject entirely)

The GTO manga is AWESOME...I've got it in my favourite manga thingy every now and again when I can fit it in. I was considering importing the anime, but if it ends up getting released by MVM or whoever, I'll definitely pick it up.

I've been interested in Initial D for a while too...never got around to reading/watching it, but it's on my "to do" list...not exactly a priority, but I wanna check it out.

I would also like to see whoever releases it, in those wonderful box-sets Tokyopop do. They sometimes bundle loads of volumes with a manga book or something. It would be best to do that especially for the longer series because they are over a lot of volumes... I think Initial D has come out in 2 box-set forms, but i'm not certain.

I just checked the website, and it seems the boxsets are excellent! The whole series of Marmalade Boy in 4 box sets (each holding 3 volumes), with loads of extra stuff like pencil boards... that's 77 episodes as well! I wish we had these kind of releases over here!

There are 2 GTO boxsets too, each holding 5 volumes!

A box set for the whole series of Real Bout High School.

All their series seem to have box sets, with tons of extras -.- When are we going to get this kind of stuff...

Didn't GITS get a boxset out here? Annoyingly after I got the whole thing though.. >_>;
Otherwise at the rate we're getting boxsets, I'd say roughly when the cows come home.

To be fair though on the boxset front we are actually getting some.

Which is a very marked diffrence to say 2004 which only seems longer ago that it was.
And I'm all for that front, you have Naruto, Inu yasha coming out and at the moment we have cowboy bebop, robotech, ghost in the shell and tokyo underground.

I'm quite chuffed at the prospect of more of em.

Do you think if I asked nice enough Manga ent would magically release uncut one piece boxes? :(

I promise I'll spongebath all of their grandparents so they dont have to if they did!

But back to tokyopop, yeah I reckon MVM are the likliest candidate for their releases.
I cant blame them for being cautios about the UK dvd market to not go straight at it themselves, but I was of the beleif that they were almost doing well enough on the manga front to have tried.
I have no facts to back this, just a wild opinion based on the rise of their books I see in stores.

Cowboy_grey said:
Do you think if I asked nice enough Manga ent would magically release uncut one piece boxes? :(

I promise I'll spongebath all of their grandparents so they dont have to if they did!

But back to tokyopop, yeah I reckon MVM are the likliest candidate for their releases.
I cant blame them for being cautios about the UK dvd market to not go straight at it themselves, but I was of the beleif that they were almost doing well enough on the manga front to have tried.
I have no facts to back this, just a wild opinion based on the rise of their books I see in stores.
There is no uncut version of One Piece available. I think that 4Kids owns worldwide rights to the franchise and are preventing it happening. Viz already stated when they picked up the One Piece DVD releases that there would be no uncut version since they were not responsible for the dub.

As for Tokyopop handling their own DVD releases, DVDs and books are a very different market, most especially in the UK since they have a whole different set of regulations to pass, with video requiring considerably more stringent tests than books. Besides this, Tokyopop US recently sub-let its DVD distribution to FUNimation, which suggests that they are not looking to handle their own DVD distribution at all. The strong ties between FUNimation and MVM is the strongest indicator that MVM could have first bite at Tokyopop's distribution in the UK but it is by no means a done deal until someone actually says something official.

Gawyn said:
There is no uncut version of One Piece available. I think that 4Kids owns worldwide rights to the franchise and are preventing it happening. Viz already stated when they picked up the One Piece DVD releases that there would be no uncut version since they were not responsible for the dub.

I know, I was joking.

But still doesnt mean I wouldnt want it if I could have it. Alas.....

I will console myself with buying the japanese Ussopp figures as he is my hero and according to a friend of mine I am one of a minority. Like him damn you Japan, like him! he has heart! HEART! ;-;

as for tokyopop I pretty much agree that it would be safer for them to go via MVM, the sub letting thing is news to me though

Back