Three strikes and you're out! Xam'd Blu-ray Part 2 cancelled

Just Passing Through

The Wildcard
http://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/101618888508313601

That's that then.

First FMA, then Casshern, and now Xam'd.

Who will be buying partial Blu-ray releases from Manga now?

EDIT Later on they tweet that only 100 copies sold over three weeks. Anyone with common sense could tell them that was because everyone who was interested was waiting until Part 2 was released before taking a chance, because they were expecting it to be cancelled. :roll:

Oh dear, here we go with random speculation and accusation. :lol:

For my 2p, I don't think the bulk of the people buying (or perhaps "not buying") the show would have even known about liklihood of there not being a part 2 on BD - I just simply think the BD market is not there in this country for shows of this length (or almost any TV anime, period), and it certainly isn't there if people who want the BDs refuse to buy them despite being told that not buying them will result in the cancellation of future releases.

"If you don't buy Part 1, Part 2 will be cancelled."

"Hey guys, didn't buy this because I knew it would be cancelled!"

I don't think self-fulfilling prophecies come along any more simply.

I did not got the blu-ray as I got the Region A release...last October time. If you wait this long before releasing stuff over here then don't complain when people import it.

For the record I also got part 2 last November.

Note - this was when the blu-rays were shipped. I would have preordered them weeks in advance of this.

The lack of foresight is shocking. Of course single Bluray sales are falling when you've already cancelled two mid-run. Once part 2 was released the sales of blu-ray 1 would have increased. Now they've just fulfilled their own prophecy.

Manga, I am disappointed.

I too am beginning to think that it's best for UK companies to completely forget about blu-ray outright as our market clearly cannot support it and it's killing the companies if they're losing money on each release. All them releasing blu-rays here seems to do is make the DVD version look less desirable, for the sake of a miniscule audience of people who like every show, actually wait for the UK blu and then buy it promptly. There seems to be no sense in the situation.

I don't have Xam'd on any format (not interested in the series) but if I was buying I'd buy the DVD, as I don't see the point in buying extra hardware to support the dead end that is region B blu-ray. If anything it's losing them a few sales as is since I'll buy the import if I like a show enough to get it on blu-ray so I only buy so-so series from Manga, and only on DVD.

Blu-ray for niche releases can surely only work in this country if we have truly worldwide English-language stock which Manga can just distribute here to keep things profitable at low volumes. They can't keep commissioning thousands of discs for a (presumably shrinking) audience of so few people, and I'm amazed they even went ahead with Xam'd in the first place after what happened with Casshern/FMA.

R (edited for clarity)

I bought this about a week back even though I knew the chances of getting burned were high. Fortunately I can import the Region A release so it's not too bad, but this is clearly PR suicide when it keeps happening.

Hopefully they realise just to call it quits and only release movies and 13 episode titls on BD(if even that).

rule number 34 never buy single sets of anime series on blu ray cause you know they'll cancel it but complete collections is ok
but buying the movies is ok too

Oh you're kidding. This is a joke now.

Stop licensing stuff you're just gonna cancel halfway through.

Piracy, ho!*

animefreak17 said:
rule number 34 never buy single sets of anime series on blu ray cause you know they'll cancel it but complete collections is ok
but buying the movies is ok too

Oh. Ok. You're a troll. Give it up Aion or whoever it is.... :wink:

*EDIT: By this, I mean, I'm pulling a Ryo and boycotting them. Only buying used copies of stuff I really want. =/

Rui said:
and I'm amazed they even went ahead with Xam'd in the first place after what happened with Casshern/FMA.
I think it has potential appeal over those two shows for various reasons (profile from the "hype" it received when it was on PSN, not being super long, actually looking pretty buff in HD), but I still have to agree that they were skating on thin ice. I can only guess at a) One last attempt before they throw BD on the scrap heap, desperate to keep the UK industry from falling years behind the rest of the world again or b) They were already locked into releasing it on BD for some reason.

butch-cassidy said:
The lack of foresight is shocking. Of course single Bluray sales are falling when you've already cancelled two mid-run.
Except they cancelled them because sales were falling, and you can't say anyone expected it for FMA.

ilmaestro said:
I think it has potential appeal over those two shows for various reasons (profile from the "hype" it received when it was on PSN, not being super long, actually looking pretty buff in HD), but I still have to agree that they were skating on thin ice. I can only guess at a) One last attempt before they throw BD on the scrap heap, desperate to keep the UK industry from falling years behind the rest of the world again or b) They were already locked into releasing it on BD for some reason.

I saw it more on par with Casshern's level of appeal (which had the somewhat high profile live action movie release building up hype when it did the rounds but otherwise had relatively little buzz on forums etc), but yeah, I guess they had their reasons.

Hoping Manga focus on DVD-only for a while now so we get positive news from their Twitter for a while instead of the constant depression.

R

f*** it, thats my patience broken. Thought i'd buy the 1st part to show willingness to buy but you get knocked out for doing so!

I wont be buying any Manga releases at all in the future, the only UK companies who will get my support is MVM and Beez...any Manga licenses announced here will be imported instead. I wouldnt hold much hope for a full Bluray K-On release here!

*thoroughly p***ed off about it*

I was going to get this once I got paid, but now I know there's not going to be a volume 2 on blu-ray, I'm considering not buying the series at all.

Seriously Manga UK, I thought you would have learned by now to only release movies and 12/13-episode series' on Blu-Ray. In this kind of climate, I find it rather irresponsible how the company can make such stupid moves like this.

Manga UK can moan about how much it costs to make Blu-Ray discs and how many they need to sell to get that money back - but do they seriously expect series' to sell that many copies in such a niché market?

britguy said:
So FMA:B part 1 sells 3.1K, more than enough to break even.

Nice Manga.

I can only assume that either that was over a long period, or the drop off for volume 2 was absolutely insane.

R

CloudedMinds said:
f*** it, thats my patience broken. Thought i'd buy the 1st part to show willingness to buy but you get knocked out for doing so!

I wont be buying any Manga releases at all in the future, the only UK companies who will get my support is MVM and Beez...any Manga licenses announced here will be imported instead. I wouldnt hold much hope for a full Bluray K-On release here!

*thoroughly p***ed off about it*
^this

Also, why the hell are they going on about authoring costs?! They said themselves all they did to the X'amd discs was switch the region.

Rui said:
britguy said:
So FMA:B part 1 sells 3.1K, more than enough to break even.

Nice Manga.

I can only assume that either that was over a long period, or the drop off for volume 2 was absolutely insane.

R
Indeed. Wasn't the initial sales figure only something like 700 copies?

Back