Three reasons to read the 'Spice and Wolf' manga.

Aion

Time-Traveller
Reason #1:
18633.jpg

Reason #2:
19035.jpg

Reason #3:
18438.jpg

I'm sold. I wasn't aware the manga came out before the anime; I thought the releases went novel>anime>manga.

It's just a shame the 12+ novels (not finished) and manga aren't getting released in English until next year. Another issue is that I no longer wish to give TBD money.[/img]

I stopped reading it around chapter 4, forgot it was still getting released. lol. It was alright, but Horo is seriously a Furry in loli clothing.

The manga has an english release set? I didn't realise that. I know the first novel is due out in December though, so its not that far away until a release. Erm I may look into the manga though, specially since i don't know too many series which where novel to manga before novel to anime. It could work better than most anime > manga iterations of stuff.

i'll get the Manga when it comes out, since i'm watching the anime and that's just awesome in a bottle!

i'm dissapointed with the cover for the *first* Novel to be honest, it just doesn't stand out amongst all the other stuff

Sold! Wow I didn't realize the manga came out before the anime either. And those pictures were so cute I'll probably have to buy the manga when it's released :D

Hopefully the cover will be better then the one for the novel ;)

RetroRainbow said:
But isn't this all just furry economics? /totally biased outsider

Horo being a wolf and trading being a vital aspect of the plot progression aren't what make people watch S&W; it's the relationship between the two leads and Horo's wit. Their conversations alone are what make the story work.

I don't have much faith in anime fandom, but I doubt S&W would be so well liked had it just involved soul destroying trading chit-chat and a female with animal parts. (Though, I must confess, the ear twitching and tail movement are cute!)

Aion said:
RetroRainbow said:
But isn't this all just furry economics? /totally biased outsider

Horo being a wolf and trading being a vital aspect of the plot progression aren't what make people watch S&W; it's the relationship between the two leads and Horo's wit. Their conversations alone are what make the story work.
Some would say that the gradual reduction down to nothing of Horo's breasts in promotional art for the show indicates that some people watch for... another reason.

Has anyone else been keeping up with Yen Press' releases?

V3 finally turned up the other day. I re-read V1-2 to get back into the mood before reading it, and if not for Lawrence's fear of Horo's true form failing to be expressed well, it'd probably be in my top ten by now. In the anime, as well as the first light novel, it was clearly highlighted that Lawrence was afraid of her true form... but in the manga, Horo asked for the wheat back and stamped the ground in anger right in his face, bouncing him off the ground - I'd be scared, too! (And you can't blame him for assuming the worst about her 'kill spree' when she'd said herself that none would leave alive.)

The story and dialogue are practically identical to the anime's, as you'd expect of two adaptations of the same series of light novels, but the manga's portrayal of Horo and the outstanding art (the still pictures are injected with life thanks to effort being made to show small movements, such as trembling and looking around) have won me over, completely. As the images in the first post suggest, Horo is given a more childishly playful edge via the art, and it goes perfectly with her more manipulative side. (Her flirty smirk when Lawrence and her took off their wet clothes in the same room and Lawrence attempted to act maturely, not showing any embarrassment was priceless.)

What will decide the manga's top ten fate will be the S2 content; me always having liked S1 a lot. As I recall, the first 'light, suggestive netorare' arc was very good, and Horo's increasing insecurities as she became more and more attached to Lawrence / rants about wolf cub needs were also handled well. But, the last half of the series lost me completely, plot-wise, and ultimately left me disconnected - along with others, if my forum thread memories are correct. And, to top it off, the series ended with the WORST kiss ever included in an anime. Hopefully, at the very least, my confusion will be lessened and the mangaka will fix the kissing fail...

My current rating = 9/10 (S1 = 8/10 due to the rushed final episode & S2 = 7/10 due to the final arc fail)

The series may be loli (anime makes her look way too old compared to her description), but NTR!
It didn't get that bad, Lawrence hadn't given up/ devolved to that.

No discusion or explanation of NTR please, don't go there.

Yes - that NTR. The first half of S2 scored high on my rage meter, for a fair bit.

By and large, S2 focuses on Horo putting Lawrence through hell; ironically enough, because she cares so much about him and doesn't want to grow any more attached to a mere mortal. Her moodiness turned a number of people into Lawrence fanboys.

Horo doesn't look loli, at all, the eyes aside. She's petite, is all. A loli cannot have breasts, and Horo's breasts are ample, as highlighted by the wet/church bit from V1, and her expressions and dialogue are not those of a mere child... aside from when she's teasing Lawrence.

Back