This site needs help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul's doin a great job.

He gives us a fair bit of freedom, eg an odd swear, Freedom Of Speech, etc.

As far as the One Word posts I have seen a few and its annoying but you do gotta expect the odd post like that

As Far as bullying is concerned I've seen little to none. I have seen an argument are two but these are usually resolved fairly quickly, or an intervention from one or 2 other posters.

Arguments make a board lively anyway. My personal opinion is that of the few forums I visit, this has the worst community. There are a lot of topics where people don't communicate at all with each other, and just post blindly one after another, and other times it seems a lot of people are just trying to show off how much anime they've watched or whatever.

Just my opinion, I personally prefer Gamefaqs, 4chan and LUElinks over this forum, but something keeps bringing me back here.

I must admit I do enjoy arguing occasionally, but I usually take that over to A4 or another random anime forum of my choice.

Doberman Pharaoh said:
Arguments make a board lively anyway.

No, they don't. Debate's make for good reading. Blunt, childish arguments add nothing to the forum and generally do more harm than good.

What a coincidence what the people who usually start most of the stupid arguements are the ones that don't see anything wrong with it.

This board is fine, there's too many forums out there with topics that always just degenerate to bitching not long after the second post.

X_nick_X said:
Don't think you need new moderators or though theres been a drama increase it's not on a 4chan scale.
Problem with mods are either the power goes to there head or they screw this and go of.
Plus,people end up worshiping them and then you get the wannabe mods and then you get the whole runescape forum feel(read there forum honestly.)

If people are really getting destressed about this how about a flaging option like youtube there a button you press it and the whole post becomes like a spoiler

like this

Then it goes to pauls cp and if paul thinks it unaceptable he deletes it simple and if not removes it.

I do like this idea of the community reporting questionable posts. This way everybody becomes a moderator and it can also bring attention to a problem thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arbalest said:
The site is running fine at the moment, ok with the occasional battle here and there, but its not too much too handle for Paul. If he does feel the need for moderators later, then he'll appoint some. I think Chris still comes on from time to time anyway.

Yeah, sorry I'm still here. Work has been crazy these last few months so I haven't been able to spend as much time as I'd like checking out threads. Will kick myself in the **** and get back into it ASAP.

If someone could PM the moderators as soon as something out of order or a flame-war errupts it would help us to get it sorted out sooner.

Chris said:
Arbalest said:
The site is running fine at the moment, ok with the occasional battle here and there, but its not too much too handle for Paul. If he does feel the need for moderators later, then he'll appoint some. I think Chris still comes on from time to time anyway.

Yeah, sorry I'm still here. Work has been crazy these last few months so I haven't been able to spend as much time as I'd like checking out threads. Will kick myself in the **** and get back into it ASAP.

If someone could PM the moderators as soon as something out of order or a flame-war errupts it would help us to get it sorted out sooner.

A flame/argument button for the PM's could be useful.

Click it then choose the topic; and wallah, its done quicker. =]

Doberman Pharaoh said:
Arguments make a board lively anyway. My personal opinion is that of the few forums I visit, this has the worst community. There are a lot of topics where people don't communicate at all with each other, and just post blindly one after another, and other times it seems a lot of people are just trying to show off how much anime they've watched or whatever.

Just my opinion, I personally prefer Gamefaqs, 4chan and LUElinks over this forum, but something keeps bringing me back here.
That's why I don't post often any more. Unless a topic is going well, I don't feel the need to voice an opinion in something that people aren't willing to have at least a little debate about.

Over at the Ctrl+Alt+Del Forums we have a board that is made solely for debate and serious discussion, and I think a board like that could be beneficial, providing proper ground rules are laid out.

Maxon said:
Doberman Pharaoh said:

That's why I don't post often any more. Unless a topic is going well, I don't feel the need to voice an opinion in something that people aren't willing to have at least a little debate about.

Over at the Ctrl+Alt+Del Forums we have a board that is made solely for debate and serious discussion, and I think a board like that could be beneficial, providing proper ground rules are laid out.

Debates are not the issue here, arguments are. Some might say they are the same but they are miles apart. Debates are welcome here, the community should encourage them as a whole and i wouldn't think i'm wrong in saying we do. It's the pointless, childish arguments that are spoiling the board. Not the sensible, adult debates.

Nyu said:
Maxon said:
Doberman Pharaoh said:

Debates are not the issue here, arguments are. Some might say they are the same but they are miles apart. Debates are welcome here, the community should encourage them as a whole and i wouldn't think i'm wrong in saying we do. It's the pointless, childish arguments that are spoiling the board. Not the sensible, adult debates.

No-one creates topics on ANY issues happening at the moment; world issues, events, or crap that has gone on for a long time, and been discussed countless times before - it's still good for reading, but there isn't any here.

How about an extended discussion child forum? - Just putting it out there

Hyaku said:

This ties into the whole mentality of arguing aswell. The last thing this forum needs is another sub forum. If people want to post about world related subjects there is nothing stopping them, lead by example i say, but it's this whole point of "If i create a topic on subject X can i expect adult, educated replies or childish, argumentitive replies"

People can and will talk about anything on AUKN but why is there the need for rules to be laid out or a specific place for something to go? The majority of us here are sensible adults and the discussion should be treated as so. Yes, you may not agree with a certain point or see things differentley. But there is no need to make childish remarks or have an argument "Just for the sake of it"

Change starts with the people, if people refuse to quite frankly grow up then theres no amount of rules or subforums that can change things.

Nyu said:
Hyaku said:

This ties into the whole mentality of arguing aswell. The last thing this forum needs is another sub forum. If people want to post about world related subjects there is nothing stopping them, lead by example i say, but it's this whole point of "If i create a topic on subject X can i expect adult, educated replies or childish, argumentitive replies"

People can and will talk about anything on AUKN but why is there the need for rules to be laid out or a specific place for something to go? The majority of us here are sensible adults and the discussion should be treated as so. Yes, you may not agree with a certain point or see things differentley. But there is no need to make childish remarks or have an argument "Just for the sake of it"

Change starts with the people, if people refuse to quite frankly grow up then theres no amount of rules or subforums that can change things.

You'll find people who like arguing just for the sake of it anywhere, not just limiting to forums.

I suppose this'll fall into the 'why spoil X just because of X people?' argument, though that is looking how it's going to be.

A pattern you notice is that the argument's only start on a thread where there is a limited amount of answers and replies back to the main topic, where the original idea has been lost; people get distracted.
Its 'human' nature, i suppose; we could have the idea of just ending threads before all the logic has been lost.

Hyaku said:
You'll find people who like arguing just for the sake of it anywhere, not just limiting to forums.

I suppose this'll fall into the 'why spoil X just because of X people?' argument, though that is looking how it's going to be.

I agree and frankly i enjoy a heated debate, both reading and taking part in one. But it's this whole concept of agruing randomly with people on the internet for shits and giggles or arguments that transpire out of nothing. This is what i am trying to get at and this is what we don't need on this forum.

You want to debate about the environment, the economy, technology? fine bring it on and i'll bring my opinion to the table. You want to stir up trouble and call people names, go do so on one of the many forums on the internet that allow you to. AUKN is somewhere for all anime fans to come together and share thier interests, why should the few spoil the fun for the many? That is my stand on the issue and i probably think you agree with me when i put it that way.

Nyu said:
Hyaku said:

I agree and frankly i enjoy a heated debate, both reading and taking part in one. But it's this whole concept of agruing randomly with people on the internet for shits and giggles or arguments that transpire out of nothing. This is what i am trying to get at and this is what we don't need on this forum.

You want to debate about the environment, the economy, technology? fine bring it on and i'll bring my opinion to the table. You want to stir up trouble and call people names, go do so on one of the many forums on the internet that allow you to. AUKN is somewhere for all anime fans to come together and share thier interests, why should the few spoil the fun for the many? That is my stand on the issue and i probably think you agree with me when i put it that way.

I was agreeing with you all the way, though looking back through my posts it seems I could've been seen as being here nor there.

Some people feel the need to make a hugely sarcastic or even destructive comment about the poster, his/her ideas and even how they type etc - I'm all for that, at a very, very diluted level, but some people just aim for a more personal attack (there's always a few on every forum), and it's completely unnecessary.

Like all other places, you just work around those individuals I guess. =S

I think it's also worth noting that this is UK-based forum built around anime news relevant to people from our small island. Note that despite the fact that anime is a global phenomenon, 99% of our users live in the UK or Eire. So before you compare us to a site like 4chan, Anime News Network or AoDVD, consider that this website acts as a niche within a niche, so we'll never reach those levels. With that said, this is the biggest UK anime forum.

If you want to debate, look no further than our news forum, which is the busiest board on here and is often bustling with interesting and relevant discussion. Although I've got nothing against people who want to use this site to discuss "real world" issues, I really can't be bothered with any of that and don't consider it a priority. I'm running this place to discuss anime with fellow fans, that's it.

Nyu said:
Maxon said:
Doberman Pharaoh said:

That's exactly my point, and why I suggested a serious discussion sub-forum. I believe having such a forum would encourage sensible discussion and debate. It would deter those that aren't here for serious discussion, and this would leave those that want to debate in peace once people had got a feel for it.

Paul has made it clear it's not what's needed, so I'll say no more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back