The world of anime on VHS

I still have a few remnants from my VHS days, mostly titles that haven't yet made the leap to VHS. Which reminds me, I'm going to have to port them over to my hard drive sometime soonish. Some of these cassettes date back to 1997, and I shudder to think what all that time has done to the tape.

robot monkey said:
The Lupin films got split across a number of companies back in the VHS days, the rights seemed to be sold in a very ad hoc fashion?
Yeah, it was very fractured, Manga got The Castle of Cagliostro, Secret of Mamo and Goodbye Lady Liberty and Western Connection got The Fuma Conspiracy and Legend of the Gold of Babylon.

Yakumo said:
I still have a few remnants from my VHS days, mostly titles that haven't yet made the leap to VHS. Which reminds me, I'm going to have to port them over to my hard drive sometime soonish. Some of these cassettes date back to 1997, and I shudder to think what all that time has done to the tape.
You'd be surprised, we still have VHS cassettes from the 80's (one has a sticker on saying £87 to buy!) and they still hold up fine. I found they only go bad if you've watched them over and over and worn the tape down a bit.

I did backup my handful of Anime VHS tapes but thankfully I've been able to get access to higher quality digital versions or I will soon, I managed to track down a Spanish DVD of Lupin the Third Goodbye Lady with the English dub on and the new Discotek Media release of the Secret of Mamo has all the dubs on. I just wish companies would come and rescue the ones that never made the jump to DVD in the English speaking world like Blue Sonnet.

My friends mum was the manager at a local video shop :)
I remember seeing all of Manga Entertainments 'The Collection'...
Ninja Scroll and Urotsukidoji were watched every time we had sleep overs also.

A couple of Pokemon episodes, random ones. The Pokemon movies and Pikachu's Winter Vacation too (the really catchy tune is now running through my head) :p also....the Cardcaptors movie. I really did love the series, as a kid I had no idea about what I was actually watching or what had been done to the series. I'm glad my eyes were opened to the beauty of Cardcaptor Sakura, but its thanks to that movie that I got introduced to anime and manga.

I have still got all my anime videos apart from one, Cardcaptors since I own the DVD version. I have got:
Pokemon the First movie
Pokemon the movie 2000
Digimon movie
A Wind Named Amnesia
Armitage III episode 1
Shadow Skill movie
Dominion Tank Police act 1 and 2
plus videos of random episodes of One Piece and Shaman King which I taped off the telly.

mangaman74 said:
robot monkey said:
demonix said:
My first known anime experience (that I knew of since I didn't know that samurai pizza cats was anime when it was aired on ITV ages ago) was with the late night anime slot on channel 4 (I actually recorded the whole of the legend of the four kings when it was aired then, but I accidentally wiped one of the tapes so I had to rent the originals to get the whole series back), but I really didn't get hooked in until nadesico and evangelion aired on sci-fi and I still have all my purchased VHS tapes (although that is limited to the complete new dominion tank police series (six tapes in total), ghost in the shell, cyber city oedo 808 and project a-ko).

Something similar with me as my first anime was Akira when it was first shown on TV, not sure if that was Channel 4 or BBC Two now because it was so long ago. :)

Over time Channel Four showed quite a few of Manga's early properties in a number of seasons.

These are the titles I can remember them putting on, though I didn't see all of them:

Akira, Legend of the Overfiend-various series, Violent Jack, Cyber City Oedo 808, Legend of the Four Kings, Wicked City, The Guyver, Doomed Megalopolis & I am sure there are a few I have missed.

I think it was BBC 2 that showed Akira. I saw it as well and if my memory is correct they showed The Wings of Honneamise a week or two later.

As for VHS tapes, I still have mine from back around the mid 1990s. I have around 20 - 30 tapes but I decided to go the import route for dvds as the magazines I started reading indicated that the stuff which was being released in the UK was only a tiny fraction of what was available (a policy I have continued with blu-ray).

I have sold about 75% of my VHS tapes the rest are ones I haven't got around to selling yet. I still have my very first anime VHS the first volume of Tank Police I think it was.

MIBlackburn_d6 said:
Yakumo said:
You'd be surprised, we still have VHS cassettes from the 80's (one has a sticker on saying £87 to buy!) and they still hold up fine. I found they only go bad if you've watched them over and over and worn the tape down a bit.

I did backup my handful of Anime VHS tapes but thankfully I've been able to get access to higher quality digital versions or I will soon, I managed to track down a Spanish DVD of Lupin the Third Goodbye Lady with the English dub on and the new Discotek Media release of the Secret of Mamo has all the dubs on. I just wish companies would come and rescue the ones that never made the jump to DVD in the English speaking world like Blue Sonnet../quote]]/quote]

That's reassuring to know. I'm also holding out for a dvd bailout package for my VHS titles, however slim the chances are. I mean, The Adventures of Kotetsu was already a marginal title back then, as was Poltergeist Report.

I've only ever purchased two anime videos. One was Pokemon the first movie and the other was Blood the last vampire.

Oddly enough on a day in 2005, the same day I bought howls moving castle on DVD.

robot monkey said:
Can anyone remember the name of the company that only put out one title on VHS, unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the title either after all this time?

There may have been others, but do you mean Crusader (the label of the legendary UK Nuku Nuku dub) or the one associated with Anime UK (which IIRC did KO Seiki Beast Warriors and confused me when I got the US DVD later)?

R

Rui said:
robot monkey said:
Can anyone remember the name of the company that only put out one title on VHS, unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the title either after all this time?

There may have been others, but do you mean Crusader (the label of the legendary UK Nuku Nuku dub) or the one associated with Anime UK (which IIRC did KO Seiki Beast Warriors and confused me when I got the US DVD later)?

R

I do believe I have Cat Girl Nuku Nuku somewhere, picked it up from a car boot.

As I recall I have Eva, Nadesico, BCG 2040, BCG OaVs, El Hazard, OMG OaV & Hakkenden on Video tape still, maybe a few others. I do actually still have a VCR but I can't say i've watched any of them for years

I actually bought some VHS titles about 3-4 years ago, still got them. The ones in bold I haven't watched.

Tokyo Babylon 1 & 2
Guy: awakening of the devil
The Heroic Legend of Arislan part 2
Odin
Ultimate Teacher

Urotsukidoji 3 parts 1 and 2
Wings of Honneamise
Battle Angel Alita
Lensman
Angel Cop
Makyu Senjo Vol 1&2 (worst anime ever)
Goku Midnight Eye 1 & 2
Bounty Dog
City Hunter The Motion Picture
Vampire Princess Miyu Chapters 1-4

Maybe, have quite a backlog on DVD tbh. Although I've heard Lensman and Bounty Dog are quite bad, so might be when I have a lot of spare time, which is generally in summer (2 week hols) :D

Neither is as bad as Makyuu Senjo, but that's not saying much...

Lensman is actually a nice looking film with some good work on the chase sequences (early Kawajiri), but the story feels pretty tame by contemporary standards. Bounty Dog, I'm sure I've seen, but all I can really remember of it is some slightly odd use of yellow filters. I think it was okay, just kind of unremarkable.

Rui said:
robot monkey said:

R

That's the one. Thank you.

Does anyone know what was the last anime title released in the UK on VHS? I have an idea that it was a Manga title as I seem to remember that at the start of one year they released a final tranche of titles on VHS, then there was quite a gap and at the end of the same year they started re-releasing titles on DVD?

The only anime I have bought new on VHS was Digimon (the movie and 8 tapes from the TV series), Cardcaptors (I thought if no-one bought it dubbed there's be no hope of a subtitled release, and they did at least have nice packaging and stickers), and one volume of MVM's Sailor Moon.
Evangelion was still (only) available on VHS at the time but I wasn't interested in a shelf full of expensive single language tapes when DVDs were on the rise.

A while back I picked up a "Kishin Corps" tape from the dustiest corner of FPI, purely because it was only a couple of quid and I could then say I had something from Pioneer Europe.

VHS anime that I got, and still have includes...

Cyber City Oedo 808
AD Police
Genocyber

all as part of the Cyberpunk Collection

Ghost in the Shell
Ninja Scroll
Legend of the Four Kings on 6 tapes
Urotsukidoji Legend of the Overfiend
Tokyo Babylon Part 1
Junk Boy
Fist of the North Star
Angel Cop on 2 tapes
Detonator Orgun

I got a VHS DVD combi unit a few years ago and burnt most of them to disc.

AD Police I got on DVD from Manga, Cyber City I got on DVD from Madman, and last Christmas I got Genocyber from CPM. I'm keeping the CyberCity VHS version for the Manga rock soundtrack though.

Ghost in the Shell I've had on DVD 3 times including its 2.0 incarnation and that, latterly on Blu-ray. Ninja Scroll I've had on DVD and Blu as well. I'm not that bothered about any of the rest. Although I might think twice about Tokyo Babylon if ever that got a DVD release.

I've had both Ghost in the Shell & Ninja Scroll on all three major formats over the years. I have had Ninja Scroll on DVD twice, in the original format then the later version.

Back